- Volume 6 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Convergent approach of phenomenological methodology about Emergency Nurses' experience of hospital violence
응급실 간호사들의 폭력 경험에 대한 현상학적 방법론의 융합적 접근
- Jeong, Young-Hee (Dept. of Nursing, Woosong Information College)
- 정영희 (우송정보대학 간호과)
- Received : 2015.08.07
- Accepted : 2015.10.20
- Published : 2015.10.31
The aim of this study was to know the experience of emergency nurses on hospital violence and violence's effect on nurses via convergent approach of phenomenological methodology to be known for a good method to study alive human's experience. This study is a qualitative study converged the phenomenological methods and 5 emergency nurses participated in an in-depth interview. From the transcript, 41 significant statements, 17 clusters of theme, 6 categories were extracted. The extracted categories are violence's background, emotional response, physical response, social response, passive coping and active coping. The hospital violence's negative effect on emergency nurses occurred in various sides and the countermeasure is required to prevent violence from hospital setting anymore.
Hospital Violence;Emergency Nurses;Phenomenological method;Qualitative study;convergence
- KBS News(2013, Octover 16), "Vaculolar violence at ER... half of doctors are victims.", Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwSreWR43CY
- S. K. Min(2009, August 7) " The actual condition of damage in nurses at ER from hospital violence looks serious" : Chosun news. Retrieved from http://chosunilbousa.com/ninfo.cfm?upccode=chC6DA85EC-E&cat=News
- I. S. Yoo, "Countermeasures of violence against medical staff", J Korean Med Assoc, Vol. 57, No. 2, pp. 88-92, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2014.57.2.88
- M. Y. Kim, S. H. Kim, S. H. Lim, "A Study of Workplace Violence by Nurses", Nursing Science, Vol. 17, pp. 33-44, 2004.
- E. O. Park, S. J. Kang, E. K. Lee, E. J. Ji, L. H. Kang, C. H. Park, "Violence Experience of Clinical Nurse in the Hospital, Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 187-202, 2001.
- M. H. Sung, "Relationship of the Experience of Violence to Burnout and Job Satisfaction in Emergency Department Nurses", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 83-92, 2008.
- J. C. Kim, Y. M. Sul, H. S. Song, "Survey of Emergency Department Violence", Journal of the Korean Society of Emergency Medicine, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 309-313, 2003.
- H. J. Kwon, H. S. Kim, K. S. Choe, K. S. Lee Y. H. Sung, "A Study on Verbal Abuse Experienced at Medical Centers", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 113-124, 2007.
- E. Y. Park, J. M. Seo, H. O. Ju, E. N. Lee, "The Reactions of Emergency Department Nurses to Violence : Q-Methodological Approach", J Korean Acad Nurs, Vol. 37, No. 5, pp. 762-771, 2007. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.5.762
- E. H. Park, H. R. Park, H. S. Kim, "Approaches to Convergence Curriculum for Healthcare-Affiliated Students with Clinical Competence Assessment Program", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 79-86, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.3.079
- W. H. Moon, Y. J. Kim, "Nursing Students' Experience of Major Converged Short-term Study Abroad Program", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 1-11, 2015.
- Y. H. Choi, "Qualitative Nursing Research", Soomoon Publication Inc., Seoul, 1993.
- F. U. Colaizzi, "Psychological Research as the Phenomonologist Views it", R.S. Valle, and M.King(Ed), Existential Phenomenological Alternatives for Psychology. New York : Oxford University Press, 1978.
- H. Y. Jeong, " A Study on Relationship among Violence Experience, Coping and Burnout of Emergency Department Nurses", Master dissertation, Inje University, 2007.
- J. S. Yoon, "A study of violence experience from patients and their families and job satisfaction of emergency department nurses", master dissertation, Ulsan University, 2004.
- M.J. Hong, "A study on nurses experience violence" Unpublished master's thesis, Eulji University, 2009.
- W.J Choi, S. H. Cho, N. S. Cho, G. S. Kim, "Original Articles : Effect of an Education Program on Violence in the Emergency Department", Journal of the Korean Society of Emergency Medicine, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 221-228, 2005.
- H. J. Jung, Y. S. Lee, "Nurses's Experiences of Verbal Abuse in Hospital Setting", Korean Academy on Communication in Healthcare, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 118-126, 2011. https://doi.org/10.15715/kjhcom.2011.6.2.118
- H. J. Park, H. S. Kang, K. H. Kim, H. J. Kwon, "Exposure to Workplace Violence and Coping in Intensive Care Unit Nurses", J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 291-301, 2011. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2011.20.3.291
- J. Y. Cho, Y. W. Lee, H. S. Kim, S. H. Kim, "Relationships among Response for Violence Experience, Hardiness, and Job Satisfaction of Nurses Working in Emergency Department", Korean J Adult Nurs, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 494-502, 2011.
- S. S. Hwang, "A Study on Correlation between Clinical Nurses' Experience of Violence and Their Self-Esteem", Master dissertation, Kangwon University, 2008.
- H. S. Kim, H. W. Yim, S. H. Jeong, S. J. Jo, "An Association among Verbal Abuse, Social Support and Turnover Intention for Special Unit Nurses in a Hospital", Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 388-395, 2009.
- K. A. Kim, "A verbal violence to nurses in operating rooms of general hospital in Seoul and Gyung-gi province", unpublished master's thesis, Korea University, Seoul.
- E. H. Ha, J. Y. Cho, "Coping Styles toward Hospital Violence in Clinical Nurses : An Application of Q Methodology", Korean J Adult Nurse, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 263-274, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.3.263
- M. J. Jang, E. N. Lee, "Validity and Reliability of APQQ-K(Korean Version of the Assault Response Questionnaire) for Emergency Department Nurses in Korea", J Korean Acad Nurse, Vol. 45, No. 4, pp. 544-553, 2015. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.4.544
- E. H. Ha, J. Y. Cho, J. M., Kim, "Development oand Validation of the Hospital Violence Attitude Scale-18(HVAS-18) for Clinical Nurses, Korean J Adult Nurse, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 39-51, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.1.39
- Y. J. Kim, "Cognition for First Aid in Persons Taking First Aid Education Theory and Practice related to Convergence Training", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 1-12, 2015.
- Life Experiences and Prospects of Welfare/Poverty Exit of the Poor with Work Ability: Mixed Methodology using Sequential Exploratory Design vol.14, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.9.19
- The Convergence Influence of Life Stress, Depression and Ego Resiliency on College Life Adaptation in Nursing Students vol.14, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.7.259
- Effect of Verbal Abuse Experience, Coping Style and Resilience on Emotional Response and Stress During Clinical Practicum among Nursing Students vol.14, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.3.391
- Effects of Self-esteem, Aggression and Violence Recognition on the Academic Achievement of Adolescents vol.14, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.7.29