- Volume 6 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Effect of Convergence Career Management Systems on Job Engagement and Career Commitment
융합경력관리시스템이 직무몰입과 경력몰입에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구
- Kim, Hyeon Young (College of Nursing, Shinhan University) ;
- Yim, Myung-Seong (Department of Business Administration, Sahmyook University)
- Received : 2015.09.01
- Accepted : 2015.10.20
- Published : 2015.10.31
The aim of this study is to show how much career management system of hospital affect the psychological state and career effectiveness for hospital employees. The research was dealing the issues about hospital's career management system which affect organizational engagement. Moreover, these psychological factors have to be analyzed in the relation of career effectiveness. Finally, based on the analyzed results, this study has provide useful information for hospital management to establish efficient and productive human resources-management measures in therms to increase in organizational engagement and career commitment of employees as well. Questionnaires were distributed to employees who are working in hospital located in Seoul city. We found that career management support systems have a significant effect on job engagement. In addition, job engagement influences significantly career commitment. Conclusion and implications are discussed.
- H. B. Kim, J. H. Kim, J. Y. Lim, "Effects of Organizational Support on Hotel Employees' Occupational Identity: Focusing on the Analysis of Hotel Grade", Korean Journal of Hospitality Administration, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 35-54. 2010.
- D. T. Hall, Career Development in Organizations. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 1986.
- D. T. Hall, Career in Organizations. Santa Monica, CA: Goodyear, 1990.
- M. B. Arthur, D. T. Hall, B. S. Lawrence, Generating New Directions in Career Theory: The Case for a Transdisciplinary Approach. In M. B. Arthur, D. T. Hall, B. S. Lawrence (Eds.), Handbook of Careertheory. Cambridge. Cambridge University Press, 1989.
- E. B. Filippo, Principle of Human Resources Development. (6th eds.), New York: Mc Graw-Hill Inc. pp. 50-84, 1984.
- D. C. Feldman, "Careers in Organizations: Recent Trends and Future Directions", Journal of Management, Vol. 14, pp. 69-80, 1989.
- J. R. Choi, An Empirical Study for Career Development, Kyungnam University Master Thesis, 1997.
- H. J. Arnold, D. C. Feldman, Organizational Behavior, NewYork: McGraw-Hill, 1986.
- K. S. Seo, D. J. Park, T. H. Kim, B. H. Kim, "Effects of Individual and Organizational Career Management on Career Satisfaction, Prospect, and Commitment", Korean Management Review, Vol. 32, No. 6, pp. 1715-1739, 2003.
- E. M. Jang, "Individual Career Variables and Organizational Commitment", Korean Management Review, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 271-296, 1997.
- J. H. Greenhaus, G. A. Callanan, V. M. Goodshalk, Career Management, 4th eds., Sage Publication, 2009.
- J. H. Park, "Civil Servants Career Management", Personnel Administration, Vol. 21, pp. 66-68, 2004.
- S. G. Lee, W. S. Seo, Hotel Personnel Management. Daewangsa, 2004.
- E. H. Schein, "Increasing organizational effectiveness through better human resource planning and development", Sloan Management Review, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 1-20, 1977.
- E. H. Schein, Career dynamics: matching individual and organizational needs, Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, pp. 124-159, 1978.
- G. Blau, "The Measurement and Prediction of Career Commitment", Journal of Occupational Psychology, Vol. 58, No. 4, pp. 277-288, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8325.1985.tb00201.x
- S. K. Lee, W. S. Choi, "The Effect of Career Commitment on the Job Performance and Employee Attitude in Hotel Employee", Korean Journal of Hotel Administration, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 51-68, 2006.
- S. M. Colarelli, R. C. Bishop, "Career Commitment: Functions, Correlates and Management", Group & Organization Management, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 158-177, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1177/105960119001500203
- S. Aryee, Y. W. Chay, J. Chew, "An Investigation of the Predictors & Outcomes of Career Commitment in Three Career Stage", Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol. 44, pp. 1-16, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.1994.1001
- K. Lee, J. J. Carswell, N. J. Allen, "A Meta-analytic Review of Occupational Commitment: Relations with Person and Work-related Variables", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 85, pp. 799-811, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.85.5.799
- K. D. Carson, A. G. Bedeian, "Career Commitment: Construction of a Measure and Examination of Its Psychometric Properties", Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol. 44, pp. 237-262, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.1994.1017
- C. Orpen, "The Effects of Organizational and Individual Career Management on Career Success", International Journal of Manpower, Vol. 15, No. 1, 27-37, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1108/01437729410053617
- R. Eisenberger, S. Armeli, B. Rexwinkel, P. D. Lynch, & L. Rhoades, "Reciprocation of Perceived Organizational Support", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 86, No. 1, pp. 42-51, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.86.1.42
- H. S. Choi, S. G. Lee, J. H. Goo, "Effect of Career Management on Career Commitment in the Hotel Organization", Journal of Tourism Sciences, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 261-282, 2007.
- W. B. Schaufeli, A. B. Bakker, "Job demands, job resources, and their relationship with burnout and engagement: a multi-sample study", Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol. 25, pp. 293-315, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.248
- G. Blau, "Further Exploring the Meaning and Measurement of Career Commitment", Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol. 32, pp. 284-297, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-8791(88)90020-6
- K. E. Lee, Determinants of Career Commitment and Its Influences on Employees' Attitude, Sogang University, Dessertation, 2000.
- N. P. Podsakoff, & D. W. Organ, "Self-reports in Organizational Research: Problems and Prospects", Journal of Management, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 531-544, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920638601200408
- N. K. Malhotra, S. S. Kim, A. Patil, "Common Method Variance in IS Research: A Comparison of Alternative Approaches and a Reanalysis of Past Research", Management Science, Vol. 52, No. 12, pp. 1865-1883, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1060.0597
- M. S. Yim, "Factor Analysis for Exploratory Research in Distribution Science Field", Journal Distribution Science, Vol 13, No. 9, pp. 103-112, October, 2015.
- M. Sarstedt, C. M. Ringle, D. Smith, R. Reams, J. H. Hair, "Partial Least Squares Structural Equation Modeling (PLS-SEM): A Useful Tool for Family Business Researchers", Journal of Family Business Strategy, Vol. 5, pp. 105-115, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfbs.2014.01.002
- J. F. Hair, C. M. Ringle, M. Sarstedt, "Editorial: Partial Least Squares Structural Equation Modeling: Rigorous Applications, Better Results and Higher Acceptance", Long Range Planning, Vol. 46, pp. 1-12, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lrp.2013.01.001
- C. G. Fornell, D. F. Larcker, "Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 39-50, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- R. Bagozzi, Y. Yi, "On the Evaluation of Structural Equation Models", Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 16, pp. 74-9, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02723327
- D. T. L. Shek, L. Yu, "Use of Structural Equation Modeling in Human Development Research", International Journal on Disability and Human Development, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 157-167, 2014.
- J. F. Hair, M. Sarstedt, L. Hopkins, V. G. Kuppelwieser, "Partial Least Squares Structural Equation Modeling (PLS-SEM): An Emerging Tool in Business Research", European Business Review, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 106-121, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1108/EBR-10-2013-0128
- J. F. Hair, M. Sarstedt, T. M. Pieper, C. M. Ringle, "The Use of Partial Least Squares Structural Equation Modeling in Strategic Management Research: A Review of Past Practices and Recommendations for Future Applications", Long Range Planning, Vol. 45, pp. 320-340, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lrp.2012.09.008
- J. J. Sosik, S. S. Kahai, M. J. Piovoso, "Silver Bullet or Voodoo Statistics? A Primer for Using Partial Least Squares Data Analytic Technique in Group and Organization Research", Group & Organization Management, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 5-36, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1177/1059601108329198
- M. Tenenhaus, V. Esposito Vinzi, Y.-M. Chatelin, C. Lauro, "PLS Path Modeling", Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, Vol. 48, No. 1, pp. 159-205, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csda.2004.03.005