- Volume 6 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Converged Influencing Factors on Compassion Competence in Clinical Nurses
임상간호사의 공감역량에 미치는 융합적 영향요인
- Lee, Hyea-Kyung (Department of Nursing, Jungwon University)
- 이혜경 (중원대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2015.07.20
- Accepted : 2015.10.20
- Published : 2015.10.31
The purpose of this research is to analyze converged factors affecting compassion competence in clinical nurses. This is a descriptive correlation research to examine converged factors affecting compassion competence of clinical nurses. Research objects are 233 nurses working in three general hospitals located in Chungnam province, and who understand the purposes of this research and agree to participate in this research. To analyze the data, descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's Correlation Coefficient, and stepwise multiple regression analysis were used. The variable which has the greatest effect on compassion competence was compassion satisfaction, followed by clinical experience, compassion fatigue, with those 3 variables explaining 34.4% of compassion competence. Therefore it is necessary to develop specific education programs to improve compassion competence of nurses. Since the explaining power of three variables to compassion competence is 34.4%, it is necessary to add more meaningful variables to explain compassion competence of clinical nurses.
- S. Giladi, C. Guglielmetti, "Interprofessional team dynamics and information flow management in emergency departments", Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 70, No. 6, pp. 1299-1309, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.12284
- S. S. Han, Y. R. Um, Y. S. Hong, N. O, Cho, "Korean Patients' Conceptions of a Good Nurse", The Korean Society for Medical Ethics, Vol, 9, No. 2, pp. 125-142, 2006.
- Eun-Yi Yeom, "'Good Nursing' experienced by hemodialysis patients", Ph.D. dissertation, Ewha Womans University, 2013.
- R. Hill, "Compassion, quality and standards of care", Nurse Prescribing, Vol. 8, No. 3, 99-100, 2010.
- S. Halldorsdottir, "Caring theories articles-nursing as compassionate competence: A theory on professional nursing care based on the patient's perspective", International journal for Human Caring, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 7, 2012.
- S. K. Coetzee, H. C. Klopper, "Compassion fatigue within nursing practice: A concept analysis", Nursing and Health Sciences, Vol. 12, pp. 235-243, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2018.2010.00526.x
- Stamm, The concise ProQOL manual(2nd ed). ProQOL org, 2010.
- K. W. Sung, K. H. Jo, "Perceived hurts and forgiveness in clinical nurses -the status and influencing variables", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol, 16, No. 4, pp. 428-436, 2010. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.428
- P. L. Burston, J. F. Stichler, "Nursing work environment and nurse caring: Relationship among motivational factors", Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 66, No. 8, pp. 1819-1831, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05336.x
- Stamm, "Measuring compassion satisfaction as well as fatigue: Developmental history of the Compassion Satisfaction and Fatigue Test". Psychosocial stress series. New York: Brunner-Routledge. 2002
- B. Dewar, M. Nolan, "Caring about caring: Developing a model to implement compassionate relationship centered care in an older people care setting", International journal of nursing studies, Vol. 50, No. 9, pp. 1247-1258, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.01.008
- S. Proctor, "Can nurse show compassion?", Nursing management, Vol. 14, No. 8, pp. 10, 2007.
- Young-Jin Lee, "Development of the Compassionate Competence Scale for nurses", M.S. dissertation, Korea University, 2014.
- Do-Youn Kim, "The Effect of Communication Skills and Communication Styles of Nurses on Job Satisfaction". M.S. dissertation, Jeju National University, 2010.
- Hyun-Ju Park, "Counseling Self-Efficacy and Empathic Ability of the Psychiatric Nurses". M.S. dissertation, Ewha Womans University, 2012.
- Soo-Jin Lee, "Emotional intelligence, Interpersonal relationship and Nursing performance among Clinical nurses". M.S. dissertation, Ajou University, 2013.
- Hyeon-Ju Kim, "The Relationships between Traumatic Events, Compassion Fatigue, Burnout and Compassion Satisfaction in Emergency Nurses". M.S. dissertation, Konkuk University, 2011.
- Jung-Min Lee, "Effects of working stress, compassion fatigue and compassion satisfaction on burnout in clinical nurses". M.S. dissertation, Chungang University, 2012.
- Jung-En Kim, "Hardiness, Compassion Fatigue, Compassion Satisfaction and Burnout among Geriatric Hospital Nurses". M.S. dissertation, Chungang University, 2013.
- Keum-Seong Jang, "A Study on Establishment of Clinical Career Development Model of Nurses". Ph.D. dissertation, Yonsei University, 2000.
- M. R. Park,N. C. Kim, "Development of a Nursing Competence Measurement Scale according to Nurse's Clinical Ladder in General Wards", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 257-271, 2014.
- M. L. Schantz., "Compassion: A concept analysis", Nursing Forum, Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 48-55, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6198.2007.00067.x
- OECD, Definition and Selection of Competencies: Theorical and conceptual foundations(DeSeCo). background paper. OECD. 2001.
- K. J. June, S. W. Byun, "Nurse's burnout research throughout the past 10 years in Korea, The journal of Korean Administration Society, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 305-313, 2009.
- E. J. Lee, Y. K. Lee, "A study on the cultural competence of community health practitioners", Journal of Korean of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 178-188. 2012.
- E. H. Peek, C. S. Park, "Effects of a Multicultural Education Program on the Cultural Competence, Empathy and Self-efficacy of Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 43, No. 5, pp. 690-696. 2013. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.5.690
- S. Kim, J. H. Kim, J. Y. Park, E. Y. Suh, H. J. Yang, S. Y. Lee, Y. S. Lee, M. J. Jin, S. H. Lee, & K. O. Kim, " Oncology Nurses' Professional Quality of Life in a Tertiary Hospital", Journal of Clinical Nursing Research, Vol. 16, No. 3, 2010.
- Y. M. Jang, S. Y. Kim, "Coping Strategies, Compassion Fatigue and Compassion Satisfaction among Nurses in Emergency Room", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 348-358. 2014. https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2014.20.3.348
- S. Collins, A, Long, "Too tired to care? The psychological effects of working with trauma", Journal of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 17-27, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2850.2003.00526.x
- M. Y. Han, M. S. Lee, J. Y. Bae, Y. S. Kim, "Effects of Nursing Practice Environment, Compassion Fatigue and Compassion Satisfaction on Burnout in Clinical Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 193-202, 2015. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.2.193
- The Effects of Korean Medical Service Quality and Satisfaction on Revisit Intention of the United Arab Emirates Government Sponsored Patients vol.11, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anr.2017.05.008
- Mediating Effects of Empathy and Resilience on the Relationship between Terminal Care Stress and Performance for Nurses in a Tertiary Hospital vol.20, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2017.20.4.253