- Volume 15 Issue 5
Objectives: The aim of this study was to investigate the association between work-related stress and depressive symptoms among dental hygienists. Methods: This survey of dental hygienists was conducted in Gyeonggi province, South Korea. Total of 198 dental hygienists were interviewed in 2014. The occupational stress was evaluated by depression symptoms, which was assessed by the Beck Depression Inventory Scale. To estimate the odds ratio with 95% confidence intervals, logistic regression model was used. Results: Depressive symptoms were reported 46.0%(n=91) among dental hygienists. We found that the work-related stress increased with age, smoking(OR=5.16; 95% CI 1.73-15.3), and those who had the poor perceived health status(OR=4.22; 95% CI=1.50-11.86) was associated with the risk of depressive symptoms. After controlling potential confounders, such as dental hospital(OR=11.05; 95% CI=1.02-118.9), 5-7 years time since first employment(OR=0.15; 95% CI=0.03-0.89), and the group with the high job stress(OR=2.84; 95% CI=1.22-6.79) showed higher risks of depressive symptoms than did no depressive symptoms. Conclusion: Our findings suggest that the risk of depression appears to be related to age, smoking, self-reported health status, type of dental facility, years of practice and the stress of job.
dental hygienist;depressive symptoms;worked-related stress
- Lee KS. A study of job stressors in nurses[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 1982.
- Lee YS. The relationship between stress and health habits in industrial workers. Korean J Pre Med 1990; 23(1): 33-42.
- Choi JS. A study on the patient expectation for quality care of dental service[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Seoul National, 2002.
- Lee ES. Dental hygieology. 4th ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2003: 11.
- Kang BW. A study on the causal factors of the organizational commitment: Korean dental hygienists case[Doctoral dissertation]. Kyonggi: Univ. of Kyonggi, 2000.
- Kwon SJ. The influence of dental hygienists' quality of working life(QWL) on the organizational commitment [Master's thesis]. Busan: Univ. of Kosin, 2006.
- Lee SY, Ko HJ, Yu BC. Relationship between occupational stress and musculoskeletal symptoms of upper extremities among dental hygienists. J Korean Soc of Dent Hyg 2012; 12(5): 897-908. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.5.897
- Lee JM. The origins and consequences of job stress and strateg. 2nd ed. Seoul: Sungwonsa; 1989: 21-63.
- Choi MS, Ahn KS. Job stress and reaction of dental hygienist by using the job strain model. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10(4): 595-605.
- Kim JW. The effect of job stress on the job performance [Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Sung Kyun Kwan, 1993.
- Oh SW, Jung KT, Park JY. The association of health risks with absenteeism and presenteeism. Korean J Occup Environ Med 2007; 19(4): 304-14.
- Kliszcz J, Nowicka-Sauer K, Trzeciak B. Sadowska A. The level of anxiety, depression and aggression in nurses and their life and job satisfaction. Medycyna Pracy 2004; 55(6): 461-8.
- Lee SJ. The effect of supportive nursing practice on depression and quality of life according to stress coping style of hemodialysis patients[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 1993.
- Han SY, Lee KY. A study on the degree of depression in dental Hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2009; 9(4): 659-69.
- Lee SS, Kwon HJ. A study on dental hygienists' job stress and their reactions upon them. Chung-Ang J Nur 1998; 2: 121-41.
- Park HS. Study on occupational stress and burnout experienced by hygienists[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Sookmyung, 2001.
- Song YH. A study on stress level and burnout experience of physical therapists[Master's theses]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 1990.
- Choi SR. A comparative study on job stress of the nurses in wardand ICU, unpublished[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 1993.
- Lee YH, Song JY. A study of the reliability and the validity of the BDI, SDS, and MMPI-D scales. Korean J Clin Psy 1991; 10(1): 98-113.
- Beck AT, Teer RA. Ball R, Ranier WF. Comparison of beck depression Inventories-IA and-II in psychiatric outpatients. Personality J Assessment 1996; 67(3): 588-97. http://dx.doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa6703_13. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa6703_13
- Shek DT. Reliability and factorial structure of the Chinese version of the Beck Depression Inventory. J Clin Psychol 1990; 46(1): 35-43. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/1097-4679(199001). https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-4679(199001)46:1<35::AID-JCLP2270460106>3.0.CO;2-W
- Storch EA, Robert JW. Roth DA. Factor structure, concurrent validity, and internal consistency of the Beck Depression Inventory-Second Edition in a sample of college students. Depress Anxiety 2004; 19(3): 187-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/da.20002. https://doi.org/10.1002/da.20002
- Beck AT, Ward CH, Mendelson M, Mock J, Erbaugh J. An inventory for measuring depression. Arch gen psychiatry 1961; 4(6): 561-71. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1961.01710120031004
- Yoon SH. Occupational stress and depression in clinical nurses: using korean occupational stress scales. J Korean Acad Nurs Admin 2009; 15(3): 463-70.
- Yoo HJ. Effects of job stress on depression and sleep disorder of hospital clinical nurses[Master's thesis]. Incheon: Univ. of Inha, 2014.
- Jeong SJ. The relationship of communication types, interpersonal relations and depression for nurses in hospital setting[Master's thesis]. Gwangju: Univ. of Chonnam National, 2007.
- Yang HG. Relationship between job stress and spiritual wellness depression in clinical nurses at a general hospital[Master's thesis]. Gwangju: Univ. of Chonnam National, 2012.
- Kang YG. A comparative study on impulsivity, depression and anxiety between smokers and non-smokers of the college students in Cheonan[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Dankook, 2002.
- Park IH. Ryu HS, Cho IS. Correlations Among Smoking Related Knowledge, Attitudes, Self-esteem, and Stress in the College Women. Chonnam Journal of Nursing Sciences 2001; 6(1): 175-188.
- Lee MO, Ryu SY, Byeon IG, Park JH. A study on the relationship between job stress and depression in clinical nurses. The medical Journal of Chosun University 2004; 29(2): 26-37.
- Han SY. Relationship between job stress contents, depression in dental hygienists in D city. JKAIS 2009; 11(10): 3487-493.
- Park SH, Kang HS, Hyun KS, Kim WO, Sok SH, Lee JA. Performance and importance of nursing jobs in general hospitals according to levels of work experience of nursing staff. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 2010; 17(2): 267-73.
- Siebert DC. Depression in north carolina social workers: implications for practice and research. J Soc Social Work Res 2004; 28(1): 30-40. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/swr/28.1.30. https://doi.org/10.1093/swr/28.1.30
- Park JY. A study on child protective service Workers' work-related depression and relevant factors. Social Science Research Institute Kyungsung University 2008; 24(2): 61-79.
- Baba VV, Falperin BL, Lituchy TR. Occupational mental health: a study of work-related depression among nures in the caribbean. Int J Nurs Stud 1999; 36: 163-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7489(99)00002-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7489(99)00002-4