- Volume 28 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effect of Suckling Systems on Serum Oxytocin and Cortisol Concentrations and Behavior to a Novel Object in Beef Calves
- Chen, Siyu (Lab of Land Ecology, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University) ;
- Tanaka, Shigefumi (Lab of Land Ecology, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University) ;
- Ogura, Shin-ichiro (Lab of Land Ecology, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University) ;
- Roh, Sanggun (Lab of Animal Physiology, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University) ;
- Sato, Shusuke (Lab of Land Ecology, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University)
- Received : 2015.04.17
- Accepted : 2015.06.03
- Published : 2015.11.01
We investigated differences between effects of natural- and bucket-suckling methods on basal serum oxytocin (OT) and cortisol concentrations, and the effect of OT concentration on affiliative and investigative behavior of calves to a novel object. Ten Japanese Black calves, balanced with birth order, were allocated evenly to natural-suckling (NS) and bucket suckling (BS) groups. Blood samples were collected at the ages of 1 and 2 months (1 week after weaning) calves, and serum OT and cortisol concentrations were measured using enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and enzymeimmunoassay tests, respectively. Each calf at the age of 2 months (2 weeks after weaning) was released into an open-field with a calf decoy, and its investigative and affiliative behaviors were recorded for 20 minutes. In 1-month-old calves, the basal serum OT concentration (
Oxytocin;Cortisol;Natural Suckling;Investigative Behavior;Calf;Stress
Supported by : Tohoku University
- Petersson, M., P. Alster, T. Lundeberg, and K. Uvnas-Moberg. 1996. Oxytocin increases nociceptive thresholds in a long-term perspective in female and male rats. Neurosci. Lett. 212:87-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3940(96)12773-7
- Rose, H. E., C. D. Cole, Y. Smith, I. D. Neumann, R. Landgraf, A. Z. Murphy, and L. J. Young. 2009. Characterization of the oxytocin system regulating affiliative behavior in female prairie voles. Neuroscience 162:892-903. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroscience.2009.05.055
- Sato, S., R. Nagamine, and T. Kubo. 1994. Tongue-playing in tethered Japanese Black cattle: diurnal patterns, analysis of variance and behaviour sequences. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 39:39-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1591(94)90014-0
- Seo, T., S. Sato, K. Kosaka, N. Sakamoto, K. Tokumoto, and K. Katoh. 1998. Development of tongue-playing in artificially reared calves: effects of offering a dummy-teat, feeding of short cut hay and housing system. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 56:1-12.
- Suarez, M. M., M. A. Rivarola, S. M. Molina, N. I. Perassi, G. M. Levin, and R. Cabrera. 2001. Periodic maternal deprivation and lesion of anterodorsal thalami nuclei induce alteration on hypophyso adrenal system activity in adult rats. Life Sci. 69:803-813. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-3205(01)01173-0
- Svanidze, M. D., N. G. Bukiya, and M. P. Butskhrikidze. 2012. Effect of oxytocin on the emotional state and behavior of rats under stress conditions. Neurophysiology 43:365-368. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11062-012-9235-7
- Uvnas-Moberg, K., P. Alster, M. Petersson, A. Sohlstrom, and E. Bjorkstrand. 1998. Postnatal oxytocin injections cause sustained weight gain and increased nociceptive thresholds in male and female rats. Pediatr. Res. 43:344-348. https://doi.org/10.1203/00006450-199803000-00006
- Veissier, I. and P. Le Neindre. 1989. Weaning in calves: its effects on social organization. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 24:43-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1591(89)90124-X
- Wagner, K., K. Barth, E. Hillmann, R. Palme, A. Futschik, and A. Waiblinger. 2013. Mother rearing of dairy calves: Reactions to isolation and to confrontation with an unfamiliar conspecific in a new environment. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 147:43-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2013.04.010
- Winslow, J. T., P. L. Noble, C. K. Lyons, S. M. Sterk, and T. R. Insel. 2003. Rearing effects on cerebrospinal fluid oxytocin concentration and social buffering in rhesus monkeys. Neuropsychopharmacology 28:910-918. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.npp.1300128
- Wood-Gush, D. G. M., K. Hunt, K. Carson, and S. G. C. Dennison. 1984. The early behaviour of suckler calves in the field. Biol. Behav. 9:295-306.
- Yayou, K., S. Ito, E. Kasuya, M. Sutoh, S. Ohkura, and H. Okamura. 2008. Intracerebroventricularly administered oxytocin attenuated cortisol secretion, but not behavioral responses, during isolation in Holstein steers. J. Vet. Med. Sci. 70:665-671. https://doi.org/10.1292/jvms.70.665
- Arthington, J. D., J. W. Spears, and D. C. Miller. 2005. The effect of early weaning on feedlot performance and measures of stress in beef calves. J. Anim. Sci. 83:933-939. https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.834933x
- Babu, L. K., H. N. Pandey, and A. Sahoo. 2004. Effect of individual versus group rearing on ethological and physiological responses of crossbred calves. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 87:177-191. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2004.01.006
- Babygirija, R., D. Cerjak, S. Yoshimoto, I. Gribovskaja-Rupp, M. Bulbul, K. Ludwig, and T. Takahashi. 2012. Affiliative behavior attenuates stress responses of GI tract via up-regulating hypothalamic oxytocin expression. Auton. Neurosci. 169:28-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autneu.2012.03.001
- Bredewold, R., C. J. W. Smith, K. M. Dumais, and A. H. Veenema. 2014. Sex-specific modulation of juvenile social play behavior by vasopressin and oxytocin depends on social context. Front. Behav. Neurosci. 8:216.
- Broom, D. M. and A. F. Fraser. 2007. Domestic Animal Behaviour and Welfare. 4th edn. Cambridge University Press, London, UK.
- Chen, S., S. Tanak, S. Roh, and S. Sato. 2014. Factors affecting oxytocin concentration and relationship between oxytocin concentration and affiliative behavior. In: Proceedings of the 48th International Congress of the International Society for Applied Ethology. Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain. p.137.
- Das, S. M., I. Redbo, and H. Wiktorsson. 2000. Effect of age of calf on suckling behaviour and other behavioural activities of Zebu and crossbred calves during restricted suckling periods. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 67:47-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(99)00115-X
- Edwards, S. A. and D. M. Broom. 1982. Behavioural interactions of dairy cows with their newborn calves and the effects of parity. Anim. Behav. 30:525-535. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-3472(82)80065-1
- Grondahl, A. M., E. M. Skancke, C. M. Mejdell, and J. H. Jansen. 2007. Growth rate, health and welfare in a dairy herd with natural suckling until 6.8 weeks of age: a case report. Acta Vet. Scand. 49:16. https://doi.org/10.1186/1751-0147-49-16
- Ising, H. and M. Ising. 2002. Chronic cortisol increases in the first half of the night caused by road traffic noise. Noise Health 4:13-21.
- Hernandez, C., A. Orihuela, S. Froberg, and L. M. Lidfors. 2006. Effect of restricted suckling on physiological and behavioural stress parameters in dual-purpose cattle in the tropics. Livest. Sci. 99:21-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livprodsci.2005.05.020
- Jensen, M. B., K. S. Vestergaard, C. C. Krohn, and L. Munksgaard. 1997. Effect of single versus group housing and space allowance on responses of calves during open-field tests. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 54:109-121.
- Krohn, C. C., J. Foldager, and L. Mogensen. 1999. Long-term effect of colostrum feeding methods on behaviour in female dairy calves. Acta Agric. Scand. Anim. Sci. 49:57-64.
- Krohn, C. C. 2001. Effects of different suckling systems on milk production, udder health, reproduction, calf growth and some behavioural aspects in high producing dairy cows: A review. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 72:271-280. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(01)00117-4
- Kirsch, P., C. Esslinger., Q. Chen, D. Mier, S. Lis, S. Siddhanti, H. Gruppe, V. S. Mattay, B. Gallhofer, and A. Meyer-Lindenberg. 2005. Oxytocin modulates neural circuitry for social cognition and fear in humans. J. Neurosci. 25:11489-11493. https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.3984-05.2005
- Kohari, D., S. Sato, and Y. Nakai. 2009. Does the maternal grooming of cattle clean bacteria from the coat of calves? Behav. Processes 80:202-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.beproc.2008.11.003
- Lupoli, B., B. Johansson, K. Uvnas-Moberg, and K. Svennersten-Sjaunja. 2001. Effect of suckling on the release of oxytocin, prolactin, cortisol, gastrin, cholecystokinin, somatostatin and insulin in dairy cows and their calves. J. Dairy Res. 68:175-187. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022029901004721
- Metz, J. and J. H. M. Metz. 1986. Maternal influence on defecation and urination in the newborn calf. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 16:325-333. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1591(86)90004-3
- Mills, D. S. 2010. The Encyclopedia of Applied Animal Behaviour and Welfare. CABI, Wallingford, UK.
- National Agriculture and Food Research Organization. 2008. Japanese Feeding Standard for Beef Cattle. Japan Livestock Industry Association, Tokyo, Japan.
- Neumann, I., E. Koehler, R. Landgraf, and J. Summy-Long. 1994. An oxytocin receptor antagonist infused into the supraoptic nucleus attenuates intranuclear and peripheral release of oxytocin during suckling in conscious rats. Endocrinology 134:141-148. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo.134.1.8275928
- Nowak, R., T. M. Murphy, D. R. Lindsay, P. Alster, R. Andersson, and K. Uvnas-Moberg. 1997. Development of a preferential relationship with the mother by the newborn lamb: importance of the sucking activity. Physiol. Behav. 62:681-688. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9384(97)00079-6
- Odendaal, J. S. J. and R. A. Meintjes. 2003. Neurophysiological correlates of affiliative behaviour between humans and dogs. Vet. J. 165:296-301. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1090-0233(02)00237-X
- Yayou, K., S. Ito, N. Yamamoto, S. Kitagawa, and H. Okamura. 2010. Relationships of stress responses with plasma oxytocin and prolactin in heifer calves. Physiol. Behav. 99:362-369. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2009.11.016
- Social Support Modulates Stress-Related Gene Expression in Various Brain Regions of Piglets vol.10, pp.1662-5153, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3389/fnbeh.2016.00227
- Role of oxytocin in improving the welfare of farm animals — A review vol.30, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.1058
- Predictors of beef calf temperament at weaning and its impact on temperament at breeding and reproductive performance vol.53, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/rda.13135