- Volume 28 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Carcass and Sensory Traits and Free Amino Acid Contents among Quality Grades in Loin and Rump of Korean Cattle Steer
- Piao, Min Yu (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Research Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Jo, Cheorun (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Research Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Hyun Joo (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Research Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Hyun Jung (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Research Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Hyun Jin (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Research Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Ko, Jong-Youl (National Agricultural Cooperative Federation) ;
- Baik, Myunggi (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Research Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2015.02.12
- Accepted : 2015.05.22
- Published : 2015.11.01
This study was performed to compare carcass traits, sensory characteristics, physiochemical composition, and contents of nucleotides, collagen, and free amino acids among quality grades (QG) and to understand the association between QG and above parameters in loin and rump of Korean cattle steer. Loin and rump samples were obtained from 48 Korean cattle steers with each of four QG (QG 1++, 1+, 1, and 2; average 32 months of age). Carcass weight and marbling score (MS) were highest in QG 1++, whereas texture score measured by a meat grader was highest in QG 2. A correlation analysis revealed that MS (r = 0.98; p<0.01) and fat content (r = 0.73; p<0.01) had strong positive correlations with QG and that texture had a strong negative correlation (r = -0.78) with QG. Fat content in loin was highest but protein and moisture contents were lowest in QG 1++. Our results confirmed that a major determinant of QG is the MS; thus, intramuscular fat content. The International Commission on Illumination
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Ryu, Y. S., M. Lee, and K. C. Ko. 1994. A study on the quality comparison of Korean native cattle beef in relation to Korean quality grading system and imported beef. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. 36:340-346.
- Sarries, M. V. and M. J. Beriain. 2006. Colour and texture characteristics in meat of male and female foals. Meat Sci. 74:738-745. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.06.005
- Savell, J. W., R. E. Branson, H. R. Cross, D. M. Stiffler, J. W. Wise, D. B. Griffin, and G. C. Smith. 1987. National consumer retail beef study: palatability evaluations of beef loin steaks that differed in marbling. J. Food Sci. 52:517-519. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1987.tb06664.x
- Sforza, S., A. Pigazzani, M. Motti, C. Porta, R. Virgili, G. Galaverna, A. Dossena, and R. Marchelli. 2001. Oligopeptides and free amino acids in Parma hams of known cathepsin B activity. Food Chem. 75:267-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(01)00224-2
- Shahidi, F., L. J. Rubin, L. A. D'Souza, R. Teranishi, and R. G. Buttery. 1986. Meat flavor volatiles: A review of the composition techniques of analysis, and sensory evaluation. Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr. 24:141-243. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408398609527435
- Shorthose, W. R. and P. V. Harris. 1990. Effect of animal age on the tenderness of selected beef muscles. J. Food Sci. 55:1-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1990.tb06004.x
- Tikk, M., K. Tikk, M. A. Torngren, L. Meinert, M. D. Aaslyng, A. H. Karlsson, and H. J. Andersen. 2006. Development of inosine monophosphate and its degradation products during aging of pork of different qualities in relation to basic taste and retronasal flavor perception of the meat. J. Agric. Food Chem. 54:7769-7777. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf060145a
- Aliani, M. and L. J. Farmer. 2005. Precursors of chicken flavor: II. Identification of key flavor precursors using sensory methods. J. Agric. Food Chem. 53:6455-6462. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf050087d
- AOAC. 1996. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA. pp. 210-219.
- Cho, S., G. Kang, P. Seong, S. Kang, K. Park, Y. Kim, and B. Park. 2013. Physico-chemical meat quality and nutritional composition of 10 cuts for Hanwoo steer beef of quality grade 1. Ann. Anim. Resour. Sci. 24:147-156. https://doi.org/10.12718/AARS.2013.24.2.147
- Cho, S. H., J. Kim, B. Y. Park, P. N. Seong, G. H. Kang, J. H. Kim, S. G. Jung, S. K. Im, and D. H. Kim. 2010. Assessment of meat quality properties and development of a palatability prediction model for Korean Hanwoo steer beef. Meat Sci. 86:236-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.05.011
- Cho, S. H., J. H. Kim, P. N. Seong, Y. M. Cho, W. T. Chung, B. Y. Park, M. O. Chung, D. H. Kim, J. M. Lee, and C. N. Ahn. 2008. Physico-chemical meat quality properties and nutritional composition of Hanwoo steer beef with 1++ quality grade. Korean J. Food Sci. Anim. Resour. 28:422-430. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2008.28.4.422
- Cho, S. H., J. H. Kim, P. N. Seong, Y. H. Choi, B. Y. Park, Y. J. Lee, T. S. In, S. Y. Chun, and Y. K. Kim. 2007. Cholesterol, free amino acid, nucleotide-related compounds, and fatty acid composition of Korean Hanwoo bull beef. Korean J. Food Sci. Anim. Resour. 27:440-449. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2007.27.4.440
- Cho, S., P. Seong, G. Kang, S. Jung, H. Kim, B. Park, S. M. Kang, and D. Kim. 2011. Comparison of volatile flavor profiles for Hanwoo and imported beef. Ann. Anim. Resour. Sci. 22:42-51.
- Dow, D. L., B. R. Wiegand, M. R. Ellersieck, and C. L. Lorenzen. 2011. Prediction of fat percentage within marbling score on beef longissimus muscle using 3 different fat determination methods. J. Anim. Sci. 89:1173-1179. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-3382
- Durnford, E. and F. Shahidi. 1998. Flavour of fish meat. In: Flavour of Meat, Meat Products and Seafoods, 2nd ed. (Ed. F. Shahidi). Blackie Academic and Professional, London, UK. pp. 131-158.
- Field, R., R. McCormick, V. Balasubramanian, D. Sanson, J. Wise, D. Hixon, M. Riley, and W. Russell. 1997. Tenderness variation among loin steaks from A and C maturity carcasses of heifers similar in chronological age. J. Anim. Sci. 75:693-699. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.753693x
- Huffman, K. L., M. F. Miller, L. C. Hoover, C. K. Wu, H. C. Brittin, and C. B. Ramsey. 1996. Effect of beef tenderness on consumer satisfaction with steaks consumed in the home and restaurant. J. Anim. Sci. 74:91-97. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.74191x
- Jayasena, D. D., S. Jung, H. J. Kim, A. U. Alahakoon, K. C. Nam, and C. Jo. 2014. Effect of sex on flavor-related and functional compounds in freeze-dried broth made from Korean native chicken. Korean J. Food Sci. Anim. Resour. 34:448-456. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2014.34.4.448
- Jayasena, D. D., S. Jung, H. J. Kim, Y. S. Bae, H. I. Yong, J. H. Lee, J. G. Kim, and C. Jo. 2013. Comparison of quality traits of meat from Korean native chickens and broilers used in two different traditional Korean cuisines. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 26:1038-1046. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12684
- Jo, C., S. H. Cho, J. Chang, and K. C. Nam. 2012. Keys to production and processing of Hanwoo beef: a perspective of tradition and science. Anim. Front. 2:32-38.
- Jo, C., D. D. Jayasena, D. G. Lim, K. H. Lee, J. J. Kim, J. S. Cha, and K. C. Nam. 2013. Effect of intramuscular fat content on the meat quality and antioxidative dipeptides of Hanwoo beef. Korean J. Food Nutr. 26:117-124. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2013.26.1.117
- Jung, S., Y. S. Bae, H. J. Kim, D. D. Jayasena, J. H. Lee, H. B. Park, K. N. Heo, and C. Jo. 2013a. Carnosine, anserine, creatine, and inosine 5'-monophosphate contents in breast and thigh meats from 5 lines of Korean native chicken. Poult. Sci. 92:3275-3282. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2013-03441
- Jung, S., K. C. Nam, K. H. Lee, J. J. Kim, and C. Jo. 2013b. Meat quality traits of Longissimus dorsi muscle from carcasses of Hanwoo steers at different yield grades. Korean J. Food Sci. Anim. Resour. 33:305-316. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2013.33.3.305
- Kim, C. J. and E. S. Lee. 2003. Effects of quality grade on the chemical, physical and sensory characteristics of Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) beef. Meat Sci. 63:397-405. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00099-2
- KAPE. 2013. Report of business for animal products grading. Korea Institute for Animal Products Quality Evaluation, Gunpo, Korea.
- Lee, S. M., J. Y. Kim, and E. J. Kim. 2012. Effects of stocking density or group size on intake, growth, and meat quality of Hanwoo steers (Bos Taurus coreanae). Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 25:1553-1558. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12254
- Legako, J. F., J. C. Brooks, T. G. O'Quinn, T. D. J. Hagan, R. Polkinghorne, L. J. Farmer, and M. F. Miller. 2015. Consumer palatability scores and volatile beef flavor compounds of five USDA quality grades and four muscles. Meat Sci. 100:291-300. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2014.10.026
- Lim, D. G., J. S. Cha, C. Jo, K. H. Lee, J. J. Kim, and K. C. Nam. 2014. Comparison of physicochemical and functional traits of Hanwoo steer beef by the quality grade. Korean J. Food Sci. Anim. Resour. 34:287-296. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2014.34.3.287
- Moon, S. S., I. H. Hwang, S. K. Jin, J. G. Lee, S. T. Joo, and G. B. Park. 2003. Carcass traits determining quality and yield grades of Hanwoo steers. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1049-1054. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.1049
- Moon, S. S., H. S. Yang, G. B. Park, and S. T. Joo. 2006. The relationship of physiological maturity and marbling judged according to Korean grading system to meat quality traits of Hanwoo beef females. Meat Sci. 74:516-521. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.04.027
- National Livestock Cooperatives Federation (NLCF). 1998. Korean carcass grading standard. National Livestock Cooperatives Federation, Seoul.
- Ozawa, S., T. Mitsuhashi, M. Mitsumoto, S. Matsumoto, N. Itoh, K. Itagaki, Y. Kohno, and T. Dohgo. 2000. The characteristics of muscle fiber types of longissimus thoracis muscle and their influences on the quantity and quality of meat from Japanese black steers. Meat Sci. 54:65-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00072-8
- Renand, G., B. Picard, C. Touraille, P. Berge, and J. Lepetit. 2001. Relationships between muscle characteristics and meat quality traits of young Charolais bulls. Meat Sci. 59:49-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00051-1
- Marination and Physicochemical Characteristics of Vacuum-aged Duck Breast Meat vol.29, pp.11, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.1053
- Postmortem Aging of Beef with a Special Reference to the Dry Aging vol.36, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2016.36.2.159
- Comparison of Quality Traits of Breast Meat from Commercial Broilers and Spent Hens in Sri Lanka vol.43, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2016.43.2.55
- Prevalence of pale, soft, and exudative (PSE) condition in chicken meat used for commercial meat processing and its effect on roasted chicken breast vol.58, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40781-016-0110-8
- vol.97, pp.14, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.8334
- Applied and Emerging Methods for Meat Tenderization: A Comparative Perspective vol.17, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12356
- Comparison of reducing sugar content, sensory traits, and fatty acids and volatile compound profiles of the longissimus thoracis among Korean cattle, Holsteins, and Angus steers vol.32, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.18.0065