- Volume 28 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effects of Supplemental Mannanoligosaccharides on Growth Performance, Faecal Characteristics and Health in Dairy Calves
- Kara, Cagdas (Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Uludag) ;
- Cihan, Huseyin (Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Uludag) ;
- Temizel, Mutlu (Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Uludag) ;
- Catik, Serkan (Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Uludag) ;
- Meral, Yavuz (Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Uludag) ;
- Orman, Abdulkadir (Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Uludag) ;
- Yibar, Artun (Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Uludag) ;
- Gencoglu, Hidir (Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Uludag)
- Received : 2015.02.10
- Accepted : 2015.05.01
- Published : 2015.11.01
Twenty Holstein calves were used to investigate the effects of mannanoligosaccharides (MOS) supplementation in the whole milk on growth performance, faecal score, faecal pH, selected faecal bacterial populations and health during the preweaning period. Healthy calves selected by clinical examination were allocated to one of the two groups (control [CG] and experimental [EG]) at 5 days old. Each group consisted of 5 male and 5 female calves. Each calf in EG was supplemented with 7 g/d of a MOS product (Celmanax) from 5 days to 56 days of age. MOS supplement was mixed with the whole milk once in the morning and administered to the calves in EG via nipple bottle, whereas the calves in CG were fed the whole milk without MOS. Calves were weaned at 56 days of age. The final body weight, average daily weight gain (ADG) and average daily feed intake (ADFI) were statistically similar (p>0.05) but were higher by 3.70%, 6.66%, and 10.97%, respectively, in MOS than in control calves. Feed efficiency (ADG/ADFI) was also similar in two calves group. While faecal scores did not differ on day 5, 7, 14, 21, 28, 42, 49, and 56 between groups, EG had a higher faecal score (p = 0.05) than CG on day 35. Faecal concentration of Lactobacillus was lower (p<0.05) in EG compared with CG. No differences (p>0.05) in faecal concentrations of Bifidobacterium, Clostridium perfringens, and Escherichia coli were found between groups. Although there were no significant differences (p>0.05) in the incidence of diarrhoea, treatment days for diarrhoea and the costs associated with diarrhoea treatments between groups, collectively, the observed reductions in treatment days and the cost of diarrhoea treatments accompanying increases in final body weight, ADG and ADFI for EG may indicate potential benefit of MOS in treatment of diarrhoea.
- Ao, Z. and M. Choct. 2013. Oligosaccharides affect performance and gut development of broiler chickens. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 26:116-121. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12414
- Apanavicius, C. J., K. L. Powell, B. M. Vester, L. K. Karr-Lilienthal, L. L. Pope, N. D. Fastinger, M. A. Wallig, K. A. Tappenden, and K. S. Swanson. 2007. Fructan supplementation and infection affect food intake, fever, and epithelial sloughing from Salmonella challenge in weanling puppies. J. Nutr. 137:1923-1930. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/137.8.1923
- da Silva J. T., C. M. Bittar, and L. S. Ferreira. 2012. Evaluation of mannan-oligosaccharides offered in milk replacers or calf starters and their effect on performance and rumen development of dairy calves. R. Bras. Zootec. 41:746-752. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982012000300038
- Davis, C. L. and J. K. Drackley. 1998. The Development, Nutrition and Management of the Young Calf. Iowa State University Press, Ames, IA, USA.
- Demirel, G., N. Turan, A. Tanor, N. Kocabagli, M. Alp, M. Hasoksuz, and H. Yilmaz. 2007. Effects of dietary mannanoligosaccharide on performance, some blood parameters, IgG levels and antibody response of lambs to parenterally administered E. coli O157:H7. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 61:126-134. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450390701222964
- Finuance, M. C., K. A. Dawson, P. Spring, and K. E. Newman. 1999. The effect of mannan oligosaccharide on the composition of the microflora in turkey poults. Poult. Sci. 78(Suppl. 1):77(Abstr.).
- Ghosh, S. and R. K. Mehla. 2012. Influence of dietary supplementation of prebiotics (mannanoligosaccharide) on the performance of crossbred calves. Trop. Anim. Health Pro. 44:617-622. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-011-9944-8
- Giannella, R. A. 1983. Escherichia coli heat-stable enterotoxin: Biochemical and physiological effects in the intestine. Prog. Food. Nutr. Sci. 7:157-165.
- Gibson, G. R. and M. B. Roberfroid. 1995. Dietary modulation of the human colonic microbiota: introducing the concept of prebiotics. J. Nutr. 125:1401-1412.
- Grand, E., F. Respondek, C. Martineau, J. Detilleux, and G. Bertrand. 2013. Effects of short-chain fructooligosaccharides on growth performance of preruminant veal calves. J. Dairy Sci. 96:1094-1101. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2011-4949
- Grieshop, C., E. Flickinger, K. Bruce, A. R. Patil, G. L. Czarnecki-Maulden, and G. C. Fahey. 2004. Gastrointestinal and immunological responses of senior dogs to chicory and mannan-oligosaccharides. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 58:483-493. https://doi.org/10.1080/00039420400019977
- Heinrichs, A. J., C. M. Jones, and B. S. Heinrichs. 2003. Effects of mannan oligosaccharide or antibiotics in neonatal diets on health and growth of dairy calves. J. Dairy Sci. 86:4064-4069. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)74018-1
- Heinrichs, A. J., B. S. Heinrichs, and C. M. Jones. 2013. Fecal and saliva IgA secretion when feeding a concentrated mannan oligosaccharide to neonatal dairy calves. Prof. Anim. Sci. 29:457-462.
- Hill, T. M,, H. G. Bateman, J. M. Aldrich, and R. L. Schlotterbeck. 2008. Oligosaccharides for dairy calves. Prof. Anim. Sci. 24:460-464.
- Hill, S. R., B. A. Hopkins, S. Davidson, S. M. Bolt, D. E. Diaz, C. Brownie, T. Brown, G. B. Huntington, and L. W. Whitlow. 2009. The addition of cottonseed hulls to the starter and supplementation of live yeast or mannanoligosaccharide in the milk for young calves. J. Dairy Sci. 92:790-798. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-1320
- Jackson, P. G. and P. D. Cockcroft. 2002. Normal physiological values. In: Clinical Examination of Farm Animals (Eds. P. G. Jackson and P. D. Cockcroft). Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK. p. 301.
- Jacques, K. A. and K. E. Newman. 1994. Effect of oligosaccharide supplements to milk replacer on calf performance and health preweaning. J. Anim. Sci. 72(Suppl. 1):1139(Abstr.).
- Kanakupt, K., B. M. Vester Boler, B. R. Dunsford, and G. C. Fahey. 2011. Effects of short-chain fructooligosaccharides and galactooligosaccharides, individually and in combination, on nutrient digestibility, fecal fermentative metabolite concentrations, and large bowel microbial ecology of healthy adults cats. J. Anim. Sci. 89:1376-1384. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-3201
- Lebel, A., J. J. Matte, and F. Guay. 2014. Effect of mineral source and mannan oligosaccharide supplements on zinc and copper digestibility in growing pigs. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 68:370-384. https://doi.org/10.1080/1745039X.2014.954357
- Magalhaes, V. J, F. Susca, F. S. Lima, A. F. Branco, I. Yoon, and J. E. P. Santos. 2008. Effect of feeding yeast culture on performance, health, and immunocompetence of dairy calves. J. Dairy Sci. 91:1497-1509. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2007-0582
- Morrison, S. J., S. Dawson, and A. F. Carson. 2010. The effects of mannan oligosaccharide and Streptococcus faecium addition to milk replacer on calf health and performance. Livest. Sci. 131:292-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2010.04.002
- Newman, K. 1994. Mannan-oligosaccharides: Natural polymers with significant impact on the gastrointestinal microflora and the immune system. In: Proceedings of Alletch's 10th Annual Symposium, Nottingham University Press, Nottingham, United Kingdom. pp. 167-174.
- Shane, S. M. 2001. Mannan oligosaccharides in poultry nutrition, mechanisms and benefits. In: Proceedings of Alletch's 17th Annual Symposium, Nottingham University Press, Nottingham, United Kingdom, pp. 65-77.
- Spring, P., C. Wenk, K. A. Dawson, and K. E. Newman. 2000. The effects of dietary mannanoligosaccharides on cecal parameters and the concentrations of enteric bacteria in the ceca of Salmonella-challenged broiler chicks. Poult. Sci. 79:205-211. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/79.2.205
- SPSS. 2004. Statistical Package for the Social Sciences. Base system user's guide, version 5.0. SPSS Inc., Chicago, IL, USA.
- Swanson, K. S., C. M. Grieshop, E. A. Flickinger, H. P. Healy, K. A. Dawson, N. R. Merchen, and G. C. Fahey. 2002a. Effects of supplemental fructooligosaccharides plus mannanoligosaccharides on immune function and ileal and fecal microbial populations in adult dogs. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 56:309-318.
- Swanson, K. S., C. M. Grieshop, E. A. Flickinger, L. L. Bauer, H. P. Healy, K. A. Dawson, N. R. Merchen, and G. C. Fahey. 2002b. Supplemental fructooligosaccharides and mannanoligosaccharides influence immune function, ileal and total tract nutrient digestibilities, microbial populations and concentrations of protein catabolites in the large bowel of dogs. J. Nutr. 132:980-989. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/132.5.980
- Terre, M., M. A. Calvo, C. Adelantado, A. Kocher, and A. Bacha. 2007. Effects of mannan oligosaccharides on performance and microorganism fecal counts of calves following an enhanced-growth feeding program. Anim. Feed Sci. Tech. 137:115-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2006.11.009
- Uzmay, C., A. Kilic, I. Kaya, H. Ozkul, S. S. Onenc, and M. Polat. 2011. Effect of mannan oligosaccharide addition to whole milk on growth and health of Holstein calves. Arch. Tierzucht. 54:127-136.
- White, L. A., M. C. Newman, G. L. Cromwell, and M. D. Lindemann. 2002. Brewers dried yeast as a source of mannan oligosaccharides for weanling pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 80:2619-28.
- Zhao, P. Y., J. H. Jung, and I. H. Kim. 2012. Effect of mannan oligosaccharides and fructan on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood profile, and diarrhea score in weanling pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 90:833-9. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2011-3921
- Biotechnological Approaches on Ruminant Feed Nutrition - With emphasis on Indonesian Situation - vol.119, pp.1755-1315, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/119/1/012004
- Effect of prebiotic supplementation with stabilized rice bran in milk of pre-weaned organic Holstein calves vol.15, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12917-019-1802-3