- Volume 16 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
A Pooled Analysis on Crizotinib in Treating Chinese Patients with EML4-ALK Positive Non-small-cell Lung Cancer
- Li, Yang (Department of Chemotherapy, the Affiliated Jiangsu Cancer Hospital of Nanjing Medical University and Jiangsu Institute of Cancer Research) ;
- Huang, Xin-En (Department of Chemotherapy, the Affiliated Jiangsu Cancer Hospital of Nanjing Medical University and Jiangsu Institute of Cancer Research)
- Published : 2015.06.26
Background: This analysis was conducted to evaluate the efficacy and safety of crizotinib based regimens in treating Chinese patients with EML4-ALK positive non-small-cell lung cancer. Materials and Methods: Clinical studies evaluating the efficacy and safety of crizotinib based regimens on response and safety for Chinese patients with EML4-ALK positive non-small-cell lung cancer were identified by using a predefined search strategy. Pooled response rate (RR) of treatment were calculated. Results: In crizotinib based regimens, 3 clinical studies which including 128 Chinese patients with EML4-ALK positive non-small-cell lung cancer and treated with crizotinib based regimen were considered eligible for inclusion. Pooled analysis suggested that, in all patients, the pooled RR was 59.3% (76/128) in crizotinib based regimens. ALT/AST mild visual disturbances, nausea, and vomiting were the main side effects. No treatment related death occurred in these crizotinib based treatments. Conclusions: This pooled analysis suggests that crizotinib based regimens are associated with good response rate and accepted toxicities in treating Chinese patients with EML4-ALK positive non-small-cell lung cancer.
crizotinib;second-line chemotherapy;EML4-ALK positive non-small-cell lung cancer
Supported by : Nanjing science committee
- American Cancer Society (2013). Cancer Facts & Figures.
- Berge EM, Lu X, Maxson D, et al (2013). Clinical benefit from pemetrexed before and after crizotinib exposure and from crizotinib before and after pemetrexed exposure in patients with anaplastic lymphoma kinase-positive non-small-cell lung cancer. Clin Lung Cancer, 14, 636-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cllc.2013.06.005
- Bowles DW, Weickhardt AJ, Doebele RC, et al (2012). Crizotinib for the treatment of patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Drugs Today (Barc), 48, 271-82. https://doi.org/10.1358/dot.2012.48.4.1769835
- Cao Y, Xiao G, Qiu X, et al (2014). Efficacy and safety of crizotinib among Chinese EML4-ALK-positive, advanced-stage non-small cell lung cancer patients. PLoS One, 9, 114008. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0114008
- Casaluce F, Sgambato A, Maione P, et al (2013). ALK inhibitors: a new targeted therapy in the treatment of advanced NSCLC. Target Oncol, 8, 55-67. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11523-012-0250-9
- Cappuzzo F, Ciuleanu T, Stelmakh L, et al (2010). Erlotinib as maintenance treatment in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a multicentre, randomised, placebo-controlled phase 3 study. Lancet Oncol, 11, 521-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(10)70112-1
- Chen X, Zhou JY, Zhao J, et al (2013). Crizotinib overcomes hepatocyte growth factor-mediated resistance to gefitinib in EGFR-mutant non-small-cell lung cancer cells. Anticancer Drugs, 24, 1039-46. https://doi.org/10.1097/CAD.0000000000000011
- Cui L, Liu XX, Jiang Y, et al (2014). Phase II study on dose escalating schedule of paclitaxel concurrent with radiotherapy in treating patients with locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1699-702. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1699
- Cui S, Zhao Y, Gu A, et al (2015). Efficacy and tolerability of crizotinib in the treatment of ALK-positive, advanced non-small cell lung cancer in Chinese patients. Med Oncol, 32, 626.
- Ettinger DS, Akerley W, Borghaei H, et al (2012) Non-small cell lung cancer. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 10, 1236-71. https://doi.org/10.6004/jnccn.2012.0130
- Fei ZH, Yao CY, Yang XL, et al (2013). Serum BMP-2 up-regulation as an indicator of poor survival in advanced non-small cell lung cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5293-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5293
- Frampton JE (2013). Crizotinib: a review of its use in the treatment of anaplastic lymphoma kinase-positive, advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Drugs, 73, 2031-51. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40265-013-0142-z
- Fukuoka M, Wu YL, Thongprasert S, et al (2011). Biomarker analyses and final overall survival results from a phase III, randomized, open-label, first-line study of gefitinib versus carboplatin/paclitaxel in clinically selected patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer in Asia (IPASS). J Clin Oncol, 29, 2866-74. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2010.33.4235
- Gridelli C, Ciardiello F, Gallo C, et al (2012). First-line erlotinib followed by second-line cisplatin-gemcitabine chemotherapy in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: the TORCH randomized trial. J Clin Oncol, 30, 3002-11. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.41.2056
- Hanna N, Shepherd FA, Fossella FV, et al (2004) Randomized phase III trial of pemetrexed versus docetaxel in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer previously treated with chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol, 22, 1589-97. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.08.163
- Herbst RS, Heymach JV, Lippman SM (2008) Lung cancer. N Engl J Med, 359, 1367-80. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra0802714
- Hotta K, Fujiwara Y, Kiura K, et al (2007) Relationship between response and survival in more than 50, 000 patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer treated with systemic chemotherapy in 143 phase III trials. J Thorac Oncol, 2, 402-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.JTO.0000268673.95119.c7
- Huang XE, Tian GY, Cao J, et al (2014). Pemetrexed as a component of first-, second- and third- line chemotherapy in treating patients with metastatic lung adenocarcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6663-7.
- Ji ZQ, Huang XE, Wu XY, et al (2014). Safety of Brucea javanica and cantharidin combined with chemotherapy for treatment of NSCLC patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8603-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.20.8603
- Kanteti R, El-Hashani E, Dhanasingh I, et al (2014). Role of PAX8 in the regulation of MET and RON receptor tyrosine kinases in non-small cell lung cancer. BMC Cancer, 14, 185. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-14-185
- Klastersky J, Paesmans M (2001). Response to chemotherapy, quality of life benefits and survival in advanced non-small cell lung cancer: review of literature results. Lung Cancer, 34, 95-101.
- Kwak EL, Bang YJ, Camidge DR, et al (2010). Anaplastic lymphoma kinase inhibition in non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med, 363, 1693-703. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1006448
- Leighl NB (2012). Treatment paradigms for patients with metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer: first-, second-, and third-line. Curr Oncol, 19, 52-58.
- Miyanaga A, Shimizu K, Noro R, et al (2013). Activity of EGFR-tyrosine kinase and ALK inhibitors for EML4-ALK-rearranged non-small-cell lung cancer harbored coexisting EGFR mutation. BMC Cancer, 13, 262. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-13-262
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Non Small Cell Lung Cancer. 2013, cited 2013-10-30. Available from: http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/nscl.pdf.
- Rikova K, Guo A, Zeng Q, et al (2007). Global survey of phosphotyrosine signaling identifies oncogenic kinases in lung cancer. Cell, 131, 1190-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2007.11.025
- Roberts PJ (2013). Clinical use of crizotinib for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer. Biologics, 7, 91-101.
- Shepherd FA, Dancey J, Ramlau R, et al (2000) Prospective randomized trial of docetaxel versus best supportive care in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer previously treated with platinum-based chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol, 18, 2095-103. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2000.18.10.2095
- Shepherd FA, Rodrigues PJ, Ciuleanu T, et al (2005) Erlotinib in previously treated non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med, 353, 123-32. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa050753
- Soda M, Choi YL, Enomoto M, et al (2007). Identification of the transforming EML4-ALK fusion gene in non-small-cell lung cancer. Nature, 448, 561-66. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature05945
- Steuer CE, Ramalingam SS (2014). ALK-positive non-small cell lung cancer: Mechanisms of resistance and emerging treatment options. Cancer, 120, 2392-402. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.28597
- Weinmann M, Jeremic B, Toomes H, et al (2003). Treatment of lung cancer in the elderly. Part I: non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer, 39, 233-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-5002(02)00454-3
- Wu X, Li J (2015). Therapeutic effects of crizotinib in EML4-ALK-positive patients with non-small-cell lung cancer. Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao, 35, 753-7.
- Safety and Efficacy of a Mouth-Rinse with Granulocyte Colony Stimulating Factor in Patients with Chemotherapy-Induced Oral Mucositis vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.413
- A Clinical Study on Juheli (Recombinant Human Interleukin - 11) in the Second Prevention of Chemotherapy Induced Thrombocytopenia vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.2.485
- Effect of Peripheral Blood CD4 + CD25 + Regulatory T Cell on Postoperative Immunotherapy for Patients with Renal Carcinoma vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.2027
- AC-93253 iodide, a novel Src inhibitor, suppresses NSCLC progression by modulating multiple Src-related signaling pathways vol.10, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13045-017-0539-3