- Volume 16 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Quantitative Review of Oral Cancer Research Output from Pakistan
- Khan, Zohaib (Leibniz Institute for Prevention Research and Epidemiology, BIPS) ;
- Muller, Steffen (Leibniz Institute for Prevention Research and Epidemiology, BIPS) ;
- Ahmed, Shahzad (Multan Medical and Dental College) ;
- Tonnies, Justus (Leibniz Institute for Prevention Research and Epidemiology, BIPS) ;
- Nadir, Faryal (Institute of Management Sciences) ;
- Samkange-Zeeb, Florence (Leibniz Institute for Prevention Research and Epidemiology, BIPS)
- Published : 2015.06.26
Background: Oral cancer is the most common cancer among men and second only to breast cancer among women in Pakistan. For the effective control and prevention of oral cancer, Pakistan needs to recognize the importance of research and generation of the evidence-base which can inform policy making and planning and implementation of intervention programs. The objective of this review was to quantify oral cancer research output in Pakistan. Materials and Methods: A systematic electronic search in "Medline", "ISI-Web of Science" and "Pakmedinet", supplemented by a Google search, was carried out in January and February, 2014, to identify literature from Pakistan relevant to oral cancer. The selection of publications for the review was carried out according to preset criteria. Data were recorded and analyzed using Microsoft Excel. Results: A total of 166 publications comprising 62 case series, 36 cross sectional, 31 case control, 10 basic laboratory research, eleven reviews and two trials, were included in this review. Some 35 % of the publications focused on risk factors for oral cancer. COMSATS Institute of Information Technology was the institution with the highest contribution. Conclusions: There is a lack of research in the field of oral cancer research in Pakistan. Focused efforts should be put in place to improve both quality and quantity of oral cancer research in the country.
- Akhtar F (2004). Cancer research and registration: Presenting a case for population-based cancer registries in Pakistan. Pakistan J Med Res, 43, 39-44.
- Akhtar W, Ali A, Aslam M, et al (2009). Clinical radiology research in Pakistan: from evidence to practice. J Pak Med Assoc, 59, 544-6.
- Begum N, Naheed G, Nasreen S, et al (2009). Oral cavity cancers in north west Pakistan: A hospital based study. J Postgrad Med Instt, 23, 28-34.
- Best A, Hiatt RA, Cameron R, et al (2003). The evolution of cancer control research: an international perspective from Canada and the United States. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 12, 705-12.
- Cancela MdC, Voti L, Guerra-YM, et al (2010). Oral cavity cancer in developed and in developing countries: population-based incidence. Head and Neck, 32, 357-67.
- Garfield E (2006). The significant scientific literature appears in a small core of journals. The Scientist, 10, 13.
- Ghaffar A, Zaidi S, Qureshi H, et al (2013). Medical education and research in Pakistan. Lancet, 381, 2234-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(13)60146-4
- Government of Pakistan (2001). Pakistan national health policy 2001. Available at: http://www.nacp.gov.pk/introduction/national_health_policy/NationalHealthPolicy-2001.pdf.
- Government of Pakistan (2010). Draft national health policy, 2010. Available at: http://www.internationalhealthpartnership.net/fileadmin/uploads/ihp/Documents/Country_Pages/Pakistan/PakistanHealthPolicy2010-2015.pdf.
- Gupta B, Johnson NW (2014). Emerging and established global life-style risk factors for cancer of the upper aero-digestive tract. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 5983-91. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.5983
- Gupta PC, Mehta CR, Pindborg JJ, et al (1986). Intervention of tobacco chewing and smoking-habits. Am J Public Health, 76, 709-19.
- International agency for research on cancer (2012). Globocan 2012, Fact sheets by population. Available at: http://globocan.iarc.fr/Pages/fact_sheets_population.aspx.
- Jamal H, Khan AJ (2007). Trends in regional human development indices. Social policy and development centre Report # 73. Available at: http://www.spdc.org.pk/Data/Publication/PDF/RR-73.pdf
- Jayalekshmi PA, Gangadharan P, Akiba S, et al (2009). Tobacco chewing and female oral cavity cancer risk in Karunagappally cohort, India. Br J Cancer, 100, 848-52. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604907
- Jayalekshmi PA, Gangadharan P, Akiba S, et al (2011). Oral cavity cancer risk in relation to tobacco chewing and bidi smoking among men in Karunagappally, Kerala, India: Karunagappally cohort study. Cancer Sci, 102, 460-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2010.01785.x
- Krishna Rao SV, Mejia G, Roberts-Thomson K, Logan R (2013). Epidemiology of oral cancer in Asia in the past decade--an update (2000-2012). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5567-77. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.5567
- Lewison G, Roe P (2012). The evaluation of Indian cancer research, 1990-2010. Scientometrics, 93, 167. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-012-0633-9
- Magrath I (2010). Cancer in low and middle income countries. In Health G20: a briefing on health issues for G20 leaders. Ed. Carballo, M. Probrook, Sutton, UK, 2010, 58-68.
- Masud AI, Siddique N, Mahmood Q (2007). Unresectable head and neck carcinomas; concimitant chemo-radiotherapy with cisplatin and 5-fluororacil. Professional Med J, 14, 111-9.
- Mishra A, Meherotra R (2014). Head and neck cancer: global burden and regional trends in India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 537-50. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.537
- Mushtaq A, Abid M, Qureshi MA (2012). Assessment of research output at higher level of educaton in Pakistan. J Pak Med Assoc, 62, 628-32.
- Muwonge R, Ramadas K, Sankila R, et al (2008). Role of tobacco smoking, chewing and alcohol drinking in the risk of oral cancer in Trivandrum, India: a nested case-control design using incident cancer cases. Oral Oncol, 44, 446-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2007.06.002
- National Cancer Institute (2012). National Cancer Institute's Center for Global Health inaugural meeting. In: Setting priorities for global cancer research. March, 2012. Available at:http://www.cancer.gov/aboutnci/globalhealth/inauguralmeeting/NCIglobalhealth2010-2011.
- National Institute of health (2014). Oral Cancer. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/oral.
- Nuyens Y (2007). Setting priorities for health research: lessons from low- and middle-income countries. Bull World Health Organ, 85, 319-21. https://doi.org/10.2471/BLT.06.032375
- Patra SK, Bhattachariya P (2005). Bibliometric study of cancer research in India. DESIDOC Journal of Library & Information Technology, 25, 11-8. https://doi.org/10.14429/dbit.25.2.3650
- Petersen PE (2005). Priorities for research for oral health in the 21st century-the approach of the WHO Global Oral Health programme. Community Dent Health, 22, 71-4.
- Qureshi MA, Qureshi MS, Khanani MR (2013). Health and research in Pakistan. Lancet, 382, 1245-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(13)62091-7
- Roohullah., Ahmed HKN, Ahmad I, et al (2012). Prevalance of cancer at CENAR, Quetta. Ann Punjab Med Col, 6, 37-1.
- Sankaranarayanan R, Boffetta P (2010). Research on cancer prevention, detection and management in low- and medium-income countries. Ann Oncol, 21, 1935-43. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdq049
- Sgan-Cohen HD, Evans RW, Whelton H, et al (2013). IADR global oral health inequalities research agenda (IADR-GOHIRA(R)): a call to action. J Dent Res, 92, 209-11 https://doi.org/10.1177/0022034512475214
- Shaharyar, Javed AA, Shah IH, et al (2006). A phase II study of gemcitabine concurrent with radiation in locally advanced squamous cell carcinoma of head and neck: a trial of the cancer research group Pakistan. Pak J Med Sci, 22, 258-64.
- Song JW, Chung KC (2010). Observational studies: cohort and case-control studies. Plast Reconstr Surg, 126, 2234-42. https://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0b013e3181f44abc
- Sullivan R, Badwe RA, Rath GK, et al (2014). Cancer research in India: national priorities, global results. Lancet Oncol, 15, 213-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(13)70604-1
- Tsay MY, Yang YH (2005). Bibliometric analysis of the literature of randomized controlled trials. J Med Libr Assoc, 93, 450-8.
- Warnakulasuriya S (2009). Global epidemiology of oral and oropharyngeal cancer. Oral Oncol, 45, 309-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2008.06.002
- World population statistics (2013). Karachi population, 2013. Available at: http://www.worldpopulationstatistics.com/karachi-population-2013/.
- Naswar (Smokeless Tobacco) Use and the Risk of Oral Cancer in Pakistan: A Systematic Review With Meta-Analysis pp.1469-994X, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntx281