- Volume 16 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Perceptions of Turkish University Students about the Effects of Water Pipe Smoking on Health
- Sahin, Sevil (Faculty of Health Sciences, Yildirim Beyazit University) ;
- Cinar, Nursan (School of Helath Sciences, Sakarya University)
- Published : 2015.06.26
Background: The popularity of the water pipe, also referred to as hookah, narghile, shisha or hubble-bubble, has increased tremendously during the past few decades. This study was conducted to determine student water pipe smoking status and perceptions about the effects of water pipe smoking on health in a state university in Ankara. Materials and Methods: This cross-sectional study was conducted between September 2014 and January 2015. The data were collected with a questionnaire and "The Scale of Perception about the Effects of Water Pipe Smoking on Health". The data obtained were evaluated in IBM SPSS (version 20.0) statistical package program in computer. One-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) was used for the analyses by checking homogeneity of variances and Student's t-test. Values of p<0.05 were considered statistically significant. Results: The total mean score obtained by young people who took part in the study was determined as (
University students;water pipe smoking;scale of perception about effects on health;Turkey
- Akdur R (2010). Smoking outbreak in the youth, www.ssuk.org.tr. Date accessed: 20/01/2015.
- Akl EA, Gunukula SK, Aleem S, et al (2011). The prevalence of waterpipe tobacco smoking among the general and specific populations: a systematic review. BMC Public Health, 11, 244. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-11-244
- Akpinar E, Yoldascan E, Saatci E (2006). The smoking prevalence and the determinants of smoking behavior among students in Cukurova university, Southern Turkey. West Indian Med J, 55, 414-9.
- Al-Naggar RA, Bobryshev VY (2012). Shisha smoking and associated factors among medical students in Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5627-32. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5627
- Al-Naggar RA, Saghir FSA (2011). Water pipe (shisha) smoking and associated factors among Malaysian university students. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3041.
- Alvur MT, Cinar N, Akduran F, Dede C (2014). Fallacies about water pipe use in Turkish university students-what might be the consequences? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1977-80. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.1977
- Alzohairy MA (2012). Water pipe&cigarette smoking among qassim university male students, prevalence and beliefs. Intern J Health Sci, 6, 45-5. https://doi.org/10.12816/0005972
- Cinar N, Cakmak V (2014). Is waterpipe smoking becoming increasingly widespread among the youth? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8005-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.8005
- Cakmak V (2014). Perceptions of the Adolescents about the effects of water pipe on health, postgraduate thesis, sakarya, unpublished postgraduate thesis. (Supervisor: Nursan Cinar).
- Erbaydar PN, Bilir N, Yildiz NA (2010). Knowledge, behaviors and health hazard perception among Turkish-narghile (waterpipe)- smokers related to narghile smoking. Pak J Med Sci, 26, 195-200.
- Gursoy D (2007). Water pipe, a sniff of pleasure. First edition. Oglak publishing: Istanbul, 27-121.
- Harrabi I, Maaloul JM, Gaha R, et al (2010). Comparison of cigarette and waterpipe smoking among pupils in the urban area of Sousse, Tunisia. Tunis Med, 88, 470-3.
- Hassoy H, Ergin I, Davas A, Durusoy R, Karababa AO (2011). Determining the factors effecting the cigarette, narghile and hand-rolled tobacco smoking among medical technology vocational training school students and evaluation of their opinions about starting and continuing with their habits of smoking. Respiration J, 13, 91-9.
- Ibrahimov F, Sahin I, Eminaga F (2012). Some characteristics of water pipe users and determination of carbon monoxide (CO) levels in their expiration air. Gulhane Med J, 54, 49-56.
- Ibrahimov F, Sahin I, Eminaga F, et al (2012), Some characteristics of waterpipe users and determination of carbon monoxide (CO) levels in their expiration air. Gulhane Medical J, 54, 49-56.
- Jackson D, Aveyard P (2008). Waterpipe smoking in students: prevalence, risk factors, symptoms of addiction, and smoke intake. Evidence from one British university. BMC Public Health, 8, 174. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-8-174
- Jawaid A, Zafar AM, Rehman TU, et al (2008). Knowledge, attitudes and practice of university students regarding waterpipe smoking in Pakistan. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis, 12, 1077-84
- Jawaid A, Zafar AM, Rehman TU, et al (2008). Knowledge, attitudes and practice of university students regarding waterpipe smoking in Pakistan. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis, 12, 1077-84.
- John U, Riedel J, Rumpf HJ, Hapke U, Meyer C (2006). Associations of perceived work strain with nicotine dependence in a community sample. Occup Environ Med, 63, 207-11. https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.2005.020966
- Maziak W, Eissenberg T, Rastam S, et al (2004). Beliefs and attitudes related to narghile (waterpipe) smoking among university students in Syria. Ann Epidemiol, 14, 646-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2003.11.003
- Maziak W, Ward KD, Soweid RAA, Eissenberg T (2004). Tobacco smoking using a waterpipe: are-emerging strain in a global epidemic. Tobacco Control, 13, 327-33. https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.2004.008169
- Orsel O (2010). Tobacco content, pharmacokinetics and tobacco products. Tobacco and tobacco control. Toraks Books, 10, 137.
- Ozcebe H, Guciz B, Inal E, Haznedaroglu D, Bertan M (2014). Smoking water pipe habits of university students and related sociodemographic characteristics. TAF Prev Med Bull, 13, 19-28. https://doi.org/10.5455/pmb.1-1364566285
- Poyrazoglu S, Sarli S, Gencer Z, Gunay O (2010). Waterpipe (Narghile) smoking among medical and non-medical university students in Turkey. Upsala J Med Sci, 115, 210-6. https://doi.org/10.3109/03009734.2010.487164
- Primack BA, Sidani J, Agarwal AA, et al (2008). Prevalence of and associations with waterpipe tobacco smoking among US university students. Ann Behavioral Med, 36, 81-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12160-008-9047-6
- Reem T. Abu Shomar, Ihab K. Lubbad, Walid El Ansari, Issam A. Al-Khatib, Hatem J. Alharazin (2014). Smoking, awareness of smoking-associated health risks, and knowledge of national tobacco legislation in Gaza, Palestine. Cent Eur J Public Health, 22, 80-9. https://doi.org/10.21101/cejph.a4005
- Sahin S, Ozdemir K, Unsal A (2014). Evaluation of the relation between smoking frequency, smoking addiction and depression in university students. HealthMED, 8, 483-92.
- Shihadeh A, Saleh R (2005). Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, "tar", and nicotine in the mainstream smoke aerosol of the narghile water pipe. Food Chem Toxicol, 43, 655-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2004.12.013
- Smith-Smione S, Maziak W, Ward KD, Eissenberg T (2008). Waterpipe tobacco smoking: knowledge, attitudes, beliefs, and behavior in two US samples. Nicotine Tob Res, 10, 393-8. https://doi.org/10.1080/14622200701825023
- Subasi N, Bilir N, Ilhan E (2005). Knowledge, attitude and behaviors of narghile smokers on narghile smoking. Turk Thoracic J, 6, 137-43.
- Tamim H, Terro A, Kassem H (2003). Tobacco use by university students, Lebanon, 2001. Addiction, 98, 933-9. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1360-0443.2003.00413.x
- United States Department of Health and Human Services (1998). The health consequences of smoking: nicotine addiction. Washington (DC), Government Printing Office.
- Varsano S, Ganz I, Eldor N, Garenkin M (2003). Water-pipe tobacco smoking among school children in Israel: frequencies, habits, and attitudes. Harefuah, 142, 736-41.
- Hazardous Health Behaviour among Medical Students: a Study from Turkey vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7675