- Volume 10 Issue 9
In video coding, the first frame of a GOP is encoded in intra mode which generates a larger number of bits. In addition, the first frame is used for the inter mode encoding of the following frames. Thus the intial QP for the first frame encoding affects the first frame as well as the following frames. To determine the initial QP that maximizes the PSNR of a GOP, several algorithms which uses the ratio of the PSNR of the I frame and the PSNR of P frames of a GOP have been proposed. In this paper, we propose a new traffic model that can be used to determine the optimal initial QP simply and exactly in algorithms that use the PSNR ratio. We first analyze the characteristics of the PSNR ratio of I and P frames and the PSNR of a GOP, and then propose a new traffic model which can represent the characteristics and determine the optimal intial QP. It is shown by experimental results that the initial QP determination method with the proposed model can predict an optimal initial QP whose difference from the optimal value is less than 2. The proposed scheme can also generate the PSNR performance better than that of the existing JVT algorithm.
- Z. Chen and K. N. Ngan, "Recent advances in rate control for video coding," Signal Process. : Image Commun., vol. 22, no. 1, 2007, pp. 19-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.image.2006.11.002
- Y. Shin, N. Son, N. D. Toan, and G. Lee, "H.264/AVC to MPEG-2 Video Transcoding by using Motion Vector Clustering," J. of the Korea Institute of Electronic Communication Science, vol. 5, no. 1, 2010, pp. 23-30.
- S. Kwak, H. Choi, and J. Yang, "A Real-time Video Transferring and Localization System in HSPDA Network," J. of the Korea Institute of Electronic Communication Science, vol. 7, no. 1, 2012, pp. 21-26. https://doi.org/10.13067/JKIECS.2012.7.1.021
- H. Yun, Y. Seo, H. Choi, and D. Kim, "High-speed Intra Prediction Method for H.264/AVC," J. of the Korea Institute of Information and Communication Engineering, vol. 10, no. 7, 2006, pp. 1172-1179.
- T. Wiegand, H. Schwarz, A. Joch, F. Kossentini, and G. J. Sullivan, "Rate-constrained coder control and comparison of video coding standards," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol., vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 688-703, Jul. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2003.815168
- T. Wiegand, G. J. Sullivan, G. Bjontegaard, and A. Luthra, "Overview of the H.264/AVC video coding standard," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol., vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 560-576, July 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2003.815165
- K. Lim, G. Sullivan, and T. Wiegand, "Text Description of Joint Model Reference Encoding Methods and Decoding Concealment Methods," JVT-W057, San Jose, CA, 2007.
- S. Park, "Adaptive Intra Frame Encoding for H.264/AVC," J. of the Korea Institute of Electronic Communication Science, vol. 9, no. 12, 2014, pp. 1447-1454. https://doi.org/10.13067/JKIECS.2014.9.12.1447
- P. C. Young, Recursive Estimation and Time-Series Analysis. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 2011.