- Volume 27 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Relationship among Child's Language Ability, Emotional Regulation and Peer Victimization: The Moderating and Mediating Role of Teacher-Child Conflict Relationship
유아의 언어능력, 정서조절이 또래괴롭힘 피해에 미치는 영향: 교사-유아 갈등 관계의 조절 및 매개 효과
- Received : 2015.07.06
- Accepted : 2015.08.21
- Published : 2015.10.31
This study examined the moderating and mediating effects of teacher-child conflict relationship among child's language ability, emotional regulation and peer victimization. The participants were 152 children(77 boys, 75 girls) and 14 preschool teachers. The teachers completed rating scales to measure the child's emotional regulation, peer victimization and teacher-child relationship. Child's language ability was assessed by researcher using PRES(Preschool Receptive-Expressive Language Scale). The collected data were analyzed using Pearson correlations and hierarchical multiple regressions. Results showed that peer victimization was related to child's language ability, emotional regulation and teacher-child relationship. Hierarchical aggression analysis indicated that the interaction of child's receptive language ability and teacher-child conflict relationship predicated peer victimization. Child's language ability, whose demonstrated a lower teacher-child conflict relationship, was significantly with peer victimization. In addition, the association between a child's emotional regulation and peer victimization was partially mediated by teacher-child conflict relationship.
- Alsaker, F. & Valkanover. S.(2001). Ealry diagnosis and prevention of victimization in kindergarten. In. J. Juvonen & S. Garham (Eds.), Peer harassment in school: The plight of the vulnerable and victimized (pp. 175-195). New York: Guilford Press.
- Baron, R. M. & Kenny, D. A.(1986). moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual and consideration, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51(6), 1173-1182. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1683
- Black, B. & Hazen, N.(1990). Social status and patterns of communication in acquainted and unacquainted preschool children, Development Psychology, 26, 379-387 https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-1622.214.171.1249
- Bonica, C. Amold, D. H. Fisher, P. H. & Zeljo, A.(2003). Relation aggression, relational victimization and language development in preschool, Social Development, 12, 551-562 https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9507.00248
- Brich, S. H. & Ladd, G. W.(1997). The teacher-child relationship and children's early school adjustment, Journal of Psychology, 35(1), 61-79
- Cheon, Hyang-Suk(2012). The mediating effects of early year teacher's self-efficacy on the relationship between early year teacher's teaching stress and the conflicting teacher-child relationship, Korea Journal of Care and Education, 72, 87-103
- Cho, Chae-Yun Kwon, Yeon-Hee(2014). The role of child's emotional intelligence and verbal ability on the relations between mother's rejective parenting and child's aggression, Korean Journal of Child Education and Care,14(1), 51-72
- Choi, In-suk(2014). The effects of preschool children's language ability, emotion regulation, and mothers' parenting behavior on peer competence and aggressive behavior, Journal of Korean Home Management Association, 32(6), 47-58 https://doi.org/10.7466/JKHMA.2014.32.6.47
- Choi, Ji-Yun(2009). The moderating effects of emotional regulation strategies on the relationships between adolescents' experience of bullying and depression, Sookmyung Women's University.
- Crick. N. R. & Grotpeter, J. K.(1996). Children's treatment by peer's victims of relational and overt aggression, Development and Psychopathology, 8, 367-380 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0954579400007148
- Dan Hyun-Kook(2012). Teacher-child relationships and children's language performance, Korean Journal of Early Childhood Education, 14(1), 5-65.
- Egan, S. K. & Perry. D. G.(1998). Dose low self-regard invite victimization?, Development and Psychology, 75, 1076-1086.
- Eisenberg, N. & Fabes, R. A.(1992). Emotion, regulation and the development of social competence. In M. s. Clark (Ed), Emotion and social psychology (pp. 119-150), Newbury Park, CA: Sage
- Gallagher, T. M.(1999). Interrelationship among children's language, behavior and emotional problems, Topics in language disorders, 19(2), 1-15 https://doi.org/10.1097/00011363-199902000-00003
- Go, Hyun(2009). A study of variation in popularity among peers, International Journal of Early Childhood Educaation, 29(6), 21-43 https://doi.org/10.18023/kjece.2009.29.5.002
- Hwang, So-young(2011). A study of the change for the nonsocial child's social behavior in the process of forming the peer relationship, Chung-Ang University.
- Jang, Mi-Hee Lee, Jee-Yon(2011). Effects of mother attachment, rejection sensitivity, and emotional regulation on children's peer relationships, Korean Journal of play Therapy, 14(1), 35-53.
- Jeon, Kyung-ah(2003). The effect of children's peer-relationship and teacher- relationship on social on competence, Chonbuk National University.
- Joung, Hae-Sook(2015). The mediating effects of negative emotion and emotional control ability on the relationship between maternal psychological control and peer harassment, Incheon National University.
- Jung, Hyun-Ju(2011). Reciprocal influences between bullying and problem behavior in childhood : focused on developmental trajectories and predictors, Catholic University
- Kang, Jai-Hee Park, Eun-Hye(2011), Peer relationship adaption process of three North Korean children defectors; A focus on their initial settlement period in the Hanawon, Journal of Educational Studies, 42(2), 109-136.
- Kim, Hye-youn(2008). Peer group victimization in preschool children: Links with language ability, socio-emotional behaviors, parenting behaviors teacher-child relationship, Catholic University
- Kim, Ki-Ye . Lee, So-Eun(2007). Young children's executive function and peer interaction according to language abilities, Journal of Future Early Childhood Education, 14(1), 167-197
- Kim, Mi-JIn(2013). The relationship between teacher-child relationship perceived by teacher and social competence of young children, Korean Journal of Early Childhood Education, 15(1), 137-163
- Kim, Sung-Hee Jung, Ok-Bun(2011). Maternal overprotection, child emotion regulation and peer relationships: The mediating role of emotion regulation in children, The Korean Journal of the Human Development, 18(3), 69-92
- Kim, Tae-In(2013). The effects of inadaptable behavior and teacher-child relationships on peer sociability, Korean Journal of Early Childhood Education, 17(5), 489-504
- Kim, Yeong-tae.Seong, Tae-Je.Lee, Yun-Gyeong (2004). Preschool receptive-expressive language scale, Seoul Community Rehabilitation Center
- Kochenderfer, B, J., & Ladd, G. W.(1996). Peer victimization and social relationship among Indian youth. Child Development, 67, 1305-1317 https://doi.org/10.2307/1131701
- Kwon, Yeon-Hee(2012). The moderating role of teacher-child conflictual relationship on children's negative emotionality and peer interaction. Korean Journal of Early Childhood Education, 32(2), 29-48. https://doi.org/10.18023/kjece.2012.32.2.002
- Kwon, Yeon-Hee(2015). The moderating effect of mothers' management strategies of peer relations on the relationship between child's shyness and peer victimization. Journal of the Korean Society for Early Childhood Education & Care, 10(2), 75-95.
- Lee, Hyn-Jung .Yi, Ye-Jin .Shin, Yoo-Lim(2013). Moderating effects of language abilities associated with emotionality, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and peer play interactions, Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 51(4), 395-401
- Lee, Kyung-Nim(2009). The effects of emotion regulation, parent related variables and victimization by peer harassment on behavioral problems among children, Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 49(7), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.6115/khea.2011.49.7.001
- Lerner, R. M.(1998). Theories of human development: Contemporary perspectives. In Damon, W. & Lerner, R. M. (Eds.), Handbook of child psychology: Theoretical models of human development(5th ed., pp. 1-24). New York: Wiley & Sons.
- Lynch, M. & Cicchetti, D.(1992). Maltreated children's reports of relatedness to theirs, New Directions of Child Development, 57, 81-108.
- Noh, Jin-Hyeong(2014). The influence of self-efficacy and emotion regulation of young children on peer competence, Journal of Early Childhood Education & Educare Welfare, 18(3), 105-206.
- Park Mi-Soon. Kim Hyun-Sook(2015). Influence of elementary school student's perceived father's trait on self-regulating skills and peer relationship skills, Journal of the Korean Society of Fisheries Technology, 27(3), 353-362
- Pianta, R. C.(1994). Patterns of relationships between children and kindergarten teachers. Journal of School Psychology, 32(1), 15-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-4405(94)90026-4
- Rubin, K., Burkowski, W., & Parker, J. (1998). Peer interactions, relationships and group. In. N. Eisenberg (Ed.), W. Damon (Series Ed.), Handbook of child psychology: Vol. 3. Social. emotional, and personality development(pp. 6919-7000). New York: Wiley.
- Shin, Yoo-Lim(2008). Physical and relational aggression in preschoolers: gender differences and Links to Language ability and social competence, Korean Journal of Early Childhood Education, 28(2), 95-112
- Shin, Yoo-Lim(2011). Social behaviors, psychosocial adjustments, and language ability of aggressive victims, passive victims, and bullies in preschool children, Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 49(6), 1-12 https://doi.org/10.6115/khea.2011.49.6.001
- Shin, Yoo-Lim. Oh, Kyoung-Hee & Kim., Hye-Yoen(2009). Analysis of cross-informant data for peer group rejection among preschoolers, Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 47(5), 49-57.
- Slee, P. t.(1994). Situational and interpersonal correlates of anxiety associated with peer victimization, Child Psychiatry and Human Development, 25(2), 97-107. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02253289
- Yeo, Eun-Jin(2009). A structural model analysis of relationship among children's emotionality, mother's emotionality, mother's emotion-related socialization behavior and children's emotion regulation, Duksung Women's University
- Yoon, Soo-Jung(2013). The moderating effects of teacher-child relationship on child's withdrawn social behavior and peer victimization, withdrawn social behavior and peer relationships, Korea Journal of Child Care and Education, 80, 131-152.