- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Nonlinear flexural analysis of laminated composite flat panel under hygro-thermo-mechanical loading
- Kar, Vishesh R. (Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Institute of Technology) ;
- Mahapatra, Trupti R. (School of Mechanical Engineering, KIIT University) ;
- Panda, Subrata K. (Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2014.11.13
- Accepted : 2015.04.02
- Published : 2015.10.25
In this article, large amplitude bending behaviour of laminated composite flat panel under combined effect of moisture, temperature and mechanical loading is investigated. The laminated composite panel model has been developed mathematically by introducing the geometrical nonlinearity in Green-Lagrange sense in the framework of higher-order shear deformation theory. The present study includes the degraded composite material properties at elevated temperature and moisture concentration. In order to achieve any general case, all the nonlinear higher order terms have been included in the present formulation and the material property variations are introduced through the micromechanical model. The nonlinear governing equation is obtained using the variational principle and discretised using finite element steps. The convergence behaviour of the present numerical model has been checked. The present proposed model has been validated by comparing the responses with those available published results. Some new numerical examples have been solved to show the effect of various parameters on the bending behaviour of laminated composite flat panel under hygro-thermo-mechanical loading.
- Baltacioglu, A.K., Civalek, O., Akgoz, B. and Demir, F. (2011), "Large deflection analysis of laminated composite plates resting on nonlinear elastic foundations by the method of discrete singular convolution", Int. J. Press. Vessels Piping", 88(8-9), 290-300. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpvp.2011.06.004
- Chamis, C.C. (1987), "Simplified Composite Micromechanics Equations for Mechanical, Thermal and Moisture Related Properties, Engineers Guide to Composite Materials, ASM International; Materials Park, OH, USA.
- Chamis, C.C. and Sinclair, J.H. (1982), "Durability/life of fibre composites in hygro-thermo-mechanical environments", Proceedings of the Composite Materials: Testing and Design (6th Conference), ASTM, Phoenix, Arizona, May, Volume 787, pp. 498-512.
- Cook, R.D., Malkus, D.S., Plesha, M.E. and Witt, R.J. (2009), Concepts and Applications of Finite Element Analysis, (4th Edition), John Wiley & Sons Pvt. Ltd., Singapore.
- Hari Kishore, M.D.V., Singh, B.N. and Pandit, M.K. (2011), "Nonlinear static analysis of smart laminated composite plate", Aerosp. Sci. Technol., 15(3), 224-235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2011.01.003
- Huang, X.L., Shen, H.S. and Zheng, J.J. (2004), "Nonlinear vibration and dynamic response of shear deformable laminated plates in hygrothermal environments", Compos. Sci. Technol., 64(10-11), 1419-1435. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2003.09.028
- Kumar, R. and Patil, H.S. (2013), "Hygrothermally induced nonlinear free vibration response of nonlinear elastically supported laminated composite plates with random system properties", Frontiers Aerosp. Eng., 2(2), 143-156.
- Kundu, C.K., Maiti, D.K and Sinha, P.K. (2007), "Nonlinear finite element analysis of laminated composite doubly curved shells in hygrothermal environment", J. Reinf. Plast. Comp., 26(14), 1461. https://doi.org/10.1177/0731684407079751
- Lal, A. Singh, B.N. and Anand, S. (2011), "Nonlinear bending response of laminated composite spherical shell panel with system randomness subjected to hygro-thermo-mechanical loading", Int. J. Mech. Sci., 53(10), 855-866. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2011.07.008
- Liu, C.F. and Huang, C.H. (1996), "Free vibration of composite laminated plates subjected to temperature changes", Comput. Struct., 60(1), 95-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(95)00358-4
- Lo, S.H., Zhen, W., Cheung, Y.K. and Wanji, C. (2010), "Hygrothermal effects on multilayered composite plates using a refined higher order theory", Compos. Struct., 92(3), 633-646. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2009.09.034
- Naidu, N.V.S. and Sinha, P.K. (2005), "Nonlinear finite element analysis of laminated composite shells in hygrothermal environments", Compos. Struct., 69(4), 387-395. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2004.07.019
- Panda, S.K. and Mahapatra, T.R. (2014), "Nonlinear finite element analysis of laminated composite spherical shell vibration under uniform thermal loading", Meccanica, 49(1), 191-213. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11012-013-9785-9
- Parhi, P.K., Bhattacharyya, S.K. and Sinha, P.K. (2001), "Hygrothermal effects on the dynamic behavior of multiple delaminated composite plates and shells", J. Sound Vib., 248(2), 195-214. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.2000.3506
- Patel, B.P., Ganapathi, M. and Makhecha, D.P. (2002), "Hygrothermal effects on the structural behaviour of thick composite laminates using higher-order theory", Compos. Struct., 56(1), 25-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8223(01)00182-9
- Qatu, M.S. (2004), Vibration of Laminated Shells and Plates, Academic Press, Oxford, UK.
- Reddy, J.N. (2004), Mechanics of Laminated Composite: Plates and Shells-Theory and Analysis, (2nd Edition), CRC press, Boca Raton, FL, USA.
- Sai Ram, K.S. and Sinha, P.K. (1991), "Hygrothermal effects on the bending characteristics of laminated composite plates", Comput. Struct., 40(4), 1009-1015. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(91)90332-G
- Sharma, A., Upadhyay, A.K. and Shukla, K.K. (2013), "Flexural response of doubly curved laminated composite shells", Sci. China Phys. Mech. Astron., 56(4), 812-817. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11433-013-5020-x
- Shen, H.S. (2002), "Hygrothermal effects on the nonlinear bending of shear deformable laminated plates", J. Eng. Mech., 128(4), 493-496. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2002)128:4(493)
- Shen, H.S, Zheng, J.J. and Huang, X.L. (2004), "The effects of hygrothermal conditions on the dynamic response of shear deformable laminated plates resting on elastic foundations", J. Reinf. Plast. Comp., 23(10), 1095. https://doi.org/10.1177/0731684404037038
- Sundaramoorthy, R., David, W. and Murray, M. (1973), "Incremental finite element matrices", J. Struct. Div., 99(12), 2423-2438.
- Szekrenyes, A. (2014), "Bending solution of third-order orthotropic Reddy plates with asymmetric interfacial crack", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 51(14), 2598-2619. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2014.03.027
- Upadhyay, P.C. and Lyons, J.S. (2000), "Effect of hygrothermal environment on the bending of PMC laminates under large deflection", J. Reinf. Plast. Comp., 19(6), 465. https://doi.org/10.1106/5TP7-CX5C-88RK-BJ4C
- Upadhyay, A.K., Pandey, R. and Shukla, K.K. (2010), "Nonlinear flexural response of laminated composite plates under hygro-thermo-mechanical loading", Commun. Nonlinear Sci. Numer. Simul., 15(9), 2634-2650. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cnsns.2009.08.026
- Zenkour, A.M. (2012), "Hygrothermal effects on the bending of angle-ply composite plates using a sinusoidal theory", Compos. Struct., 94(12), 3685-3696 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2012.05.033
- Zenkour, A.M., Alam, M.N.M. and Radwan, A.F. (2014), "Effects of hygrothermal conditions on cross-ply laminated plates resting on elastic foundations", Arch. Civil Mech. Eng., 14(1), 144-159. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acme.2013.07.008
- Zhang, Y.X. and Kim, K.S. (2006), "Geometrically nonlinear analysis of laminated composite plates by two new displacement-based quadrilateral plate elements", Compos. Struct., 72(3), 301-310. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2005.01.001
- Zhang, Y.X. and Yang, C.H. (2006), "A family of simple and robust finite elements for linear and geometrically nonlinear analysis of laminated composite plates", Compos. Struct., 75(1-4), 545-552. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2006.04.016
- Hygrothermal effects on the flexural strength of laminated composite cylindrical panels vol.115, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/115/1/012040
- Thermo-mechanical postbuckling of symmetric S-FGM plates resting on Pasternak elastic foundations using hyperbolic shear deformation theory vol.57, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.57.4.617
- Buckling analysis of isotropic and orthotropic plates using a novel four variable refined plate theory vol.21, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.21.6.1287
- Hygro-thermo-mechanical bending of S-FGM plates resting on variable elastic foundations using a four-variable trigonometric plate theory vol.18, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2016.18.4.755
- Hygrothermal Effects on the Free Vibration Behavior of Composite Plate Using nth-Order Shear Deformation Theory: a Micromechanical Approach 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40997-017-0140-y
- Edge stresses analysis in thick composite panels subjected to axial loading using layerwise formulation vol.57, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.57.4.733
- Electro-Magneto-Elastic Response of Laminated Composite Plate: A Finite Element Approach vol.3, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40819-016-0256-6
- A refined theory with stretching effect for the flexure analysis of laminated composite plates vol.11, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2016.11.5.671
- fiber by steam explosion pp.1544-046X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/15440478.2018.1477085
- Supersonic nonlinear flutter of cross-ply laminated shallow shells pp.2041-3025, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1177/0954410019827461