- Volume 60 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Status of Maize Production and Distribution in South East Asia
동남아시아 옥수수 생산 및 유통현황
- Received : 2015.01.26
- Accepted : 2015.06.24
- Published : 2015.09.30
The maize production in South-eastern Asian countries showed a continuous increase with increasing poultry-livestock from the beginning of the 1990s to early 2010. Also the need for a new variety development of each contries was increased rapidly in the same period. Single-Cross hybrid varieties have been developed and supplied from 2001 instead of multi-cross maize varieties since 1992 in Indonesia. In Cambodia, CP group is mainly manufacturing feeds with most of the forage maize from farmers who are growing its seeds from the company. Cambodian main cultivars are varieties of multinational corporations such as DK8868 from Monsanto, NK6326, NK7328 from Syngenta and CP333 from CP group including local business company. Vietnam is the main maze importing country in South-Eastern Asia which had imported 13 times scale of amount compared to exports in average from 1990 to 2011. Vietnamese government has developed a range of varieties for improving their efficiency in production, such as the LVN-10 with political investments. Their production has been reached to 80% of the total. According to the 2012 MIFAFF (Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries) data in Korea, domestic edible maize cultivation area was approximately 15,000ha. It showed 74,399 tons of production, 3.8% of food self-sufficiency in maize and around 0.9% of grain self-sufficiency rate. The consumption of grain is mostly rely on imports in Korea. To overcome the limit of the domestic seed market and increase maize self-sufficiency, the need to develop maze varieties for world-class is increasing at present through analyzing the market trend and prospect of the seed industry in South-eastern Asia.
- AFSIS. 2014. ASEAN Food Security Information System.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). www.fao.org.
- Korea Safety Clearing House. 2014. www.biosafety.or.kr.
- Lee, K. S., J. W. Park, E. J. Kim, B. M. Son, and W. H. Kim. 2011. The status of maize production and distribution in Cambodia. Korean J. Intl. Agri., 23 : 513-519.
- MAFF. 2006. Annual report for agriculture forestry and Fisheries. Cambodia.
- MAFF. 2008-2009. Annual report for agriculture forestry and Fisheries. Cambodia.
- NSW Department of Primary Industries. 2008. Field Crop Manual.
- OECD-FAO. Agriculture Outlook 2010-2019.
Supported by : 농촌진흥청