- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Plan to Maximizing the Visual Immersion of 3D Media Art
3D 미디어아트의 시각적 몰입감 극대화 방안
- Kim, Ki-Bum (Chonnam National University Department of Cultural Studies) ;
- Kim, Kyoung-Soo (Chonnam National University Graduate School of Culture)
- Received : 2015.07.10
- Accepted : 2015.08.31
- Published : 2015.09.30
Recently, media art is transforming from analogue to 'digital', and from 2D to '3D'. In particular, the range of utilizing 3D Media Art is getting wider through merging with other genres of contents in the digital environments, such as Media façade, Hologram, Virtual reality, App application, and etc. Therefore, by referring to the 3D award-winning works of Pirx Ars Electronica, which are regarded as the most outstanding works of media art of today, factors that affect sensation of visual immersion have been analyzed, through which strategies for maximizing viewers' interests in media arts and heightening their emotions while viewing have been determined. Based on the findings of the study, it has been shown that such works of media arts that involve development of concepts with 'creativity' and 'variability' from the perspective of visual concept, such as 3D modeling and mapping, with 'consistency' through out all concepts, as well as the works with stronger 'restriction' of concept within its animation and postproduction, attracted more interests from the viewer. From the point of view with visual four steps in composition, positioning the change in quality of 3D 'shape' and 'material' following the four-step rule, and gradual increase of change in quantity within the 'number' and 'size', in addition to increased degree of systematization within the change in editing, such as the 'scene change', resulted in more heightened emotions from the viewer. Thus, in order to maximize sensation of visual immersion, strategies for 'developing 3D visual concepts' while 'synchronizing' them, as well as 'strengthening the four steps within 3D visual composition' while 'systematizing' them should be emphasized.
Grant : 지역기반 문화융합관광 전문인력양성사업단
- J. H. Kim, "An Exploratory Study of the Use of 3D Contents and its Diffusion," Korean Women's Communication Association, Vol.16, No.-, pp.5-36, December 2010.
- K. E. Kim, B. J. Choi, "The Psychologic Effect about Formative Properties of Media Arts," Journal of Design & Arts, Vol.7, No.-, pp.15-36, 2006.
Y. R, Moon, "A Study on the Recent Trend of 3D Game Graphics :focused on 3D MMORPG
Trailer," The Korean Journal of animation, Vol.3, No.2, pp.154-177, 2007.
- H. Seo, "Influence on Child development and Children's Creativity Through education programs method to 3D Stereoscopic Contents," Korean Society for Creativity Education, Vol.13, No.3, pp.15-34, 2013.
- S. Lim, J. I. Chung, "Viewers' Psychophysiological and Self-report Responses to 3D Stereoscopic Display," Journal of Contents, Vol.12, No.6, pp.211-222, June 2012.
- H. H. Choen, "A Study on Mediated Immersion in New Media Art," Journal of Arts, Vol.74, No.-, pp.85-112, 2013.
- S. M. Back, Y. Cho, "A Study on the Analysis of Technique and Artistic Expression Factors in the Process of 3D Animation Production," Journal of korean society of design science, Vol.5, No.-, pp.83-92, February 2003.
- S. K. Hong, "A Study on the Production of 3D Compu ter Graphic Animation," The Korean Journal of animation, Vol.1, No.2, pp.147-162, 2005.
- Y. Yoon, "A Study of Alteration Expression Methods with Basic Design Elements and Principles by Technical Improvements :Based on Processing Codes," Journal of Digital Design, Vol.23, No.-, pp.55-64, July 2009.
- H. R. Yun, B. P. Pyo, D. L. Lyeor, "Visual expression technique analysis of motion graphic by media for emotion communication," Korea Contents Associati on Conference, Vol.7, No.1, pp.921-926, 2009.
- S. W. Choi, "A Study of Visual Components for Commercial Film," The Korean Journal of animation, Vol.7, No.4, pp.139-158, 2011.
- Y. Lee, "An Analysis of Expression According to Elements of Motion Graphic," Journal of Design Knowledge, Vol.22, No.-, pp.139-148, May 2012.
- H. O. Kang, "A Study onVisual Structure and Flow of Multimedia Image" The Treatise on The Plastic Media, Vol.11, No.3, pp.3-12, 2008.
- K. B. Kim, K. S. Kim, "An Analytical Study on Visual Immersion of Music Videos :Focusing on Three Most Viewed Music Videos on Youtube," Korea Science & Art Forum, Vol.18, No.-, pp.93-104, December 2014.
- M. Oh, I. Cho, H. Kim, "Direction for Development of Social Participation Media Art through the 2010 Ars Electronica," Journal of Digital Design, Vol.29, No.-, pp.431-439, 2011.