- Volume 47 Issue 1
A new correlation predicting the idealized critical mass-flow rates of water for subcooled and saturated liquid water including two-phase water flow was developed for a wide range of upstream stagnation pressures (e.g., 0.5-20.0 MPa). A choking correction factor dependent on the upstream stagnation pressure and subcooled temperature was introduced into a new correlation, and its values were suggested to satisfy the idealized nozzle data within 10% error ranges. The suggested correlation will be instructive and helpful for related studies and/or engineering works.
Supported by : Pusan National University
- F.J. Moody, Maximum flow rate of a single component, twophase mixture, ASME Journal of Heat Transfer 87 (1965) 134-142. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3689029
- F.J. Moody, Maximum Discharge Rate of Liquid-vapor Mixtures from Vessels, Non-equilibrium Two-phase Flows, ASME Symp, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New York, 1975, pp. 27-36.
- Y.-S. Kim, Critical flow maps using an extended Henry-Fauske model, Annals of Nuclear Energy 75 (2015) 516e520. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2014.08.070
- R.E. Henry, H.K. Fauske, The two-phase critical flow of onecomponent mixtures in nozzles, orifices, and short tubes, ASME Journal of Heat Transfer 93 (1971) 179-187. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3449782
- H.K. Fauske, Contribution to the Theory of Two-phase, One Component Critical Flow, Rep. No. ANL-6633, U.S, Department of Energy, Washington, DC, 1962.
- G.L. Sozzi, W.A. Sutherland, Critical Flow of Saturated and Subcooled Water at High Pressure, Rep. No. NEDO-13418, General Electric, San Jose, CA, 1975.
- U.S. NRC, The Marviken Full-scale Critical-flow Tests, Rep. No. NUREG/CR-2671, MXC-301 U.S. NRC, Washington, DC, 1982.
- C.-K. Park, An Experimental Investigation of Critical Flow Rates of Subcooled Water Through Short Pipes with Small Diameters, Ph.D. thesis, KAIST, Daejeon, Korea, 1997.
- Y.-S. Kim, Overview of geometrical effects on the critical flow rate of subcooled and saturated water, Annals of Nuclear Energy 76 (2015) 12-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2014.09.028
- H.K. Fauske, The discharge of saturated water through tubes, Chemical Engineering Progress Symposium Series 61 (1965) 210-216.
- G.B. Wallis, Critical two-phase flow, International Journal of Multiphase Flow 6 (1980) 97-112. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-9322(80)90041-5