- Volume 47 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
SECOND-ORDER SLIDING-MODE CONTROL FOR A PRESSURIZED WATER NUCLEAR REACTOR CONSIDERING THE XENON CONCENTRATION FEEDBACK
- ANSARIFAR, GHOLAM REZA (Department of Nuclear Engineering, Faculty of Advanced Sciences and Technologies, University of Isfahan) ;
- RAFIEI, MAESAM (Department of Nuclear Engineering, Faculty of Advanced Sciences and Technologies, University of Isfahan)
- Received : 2014.07.24
- Accepted : 2014.11.10
- Published : 2015.02.25
This paper presents findings on the second-order sliding-mode controller for a nuclear research reactor. Sliding-mode controllers for nuclear reactors have been used for some time, but higher-order sliding-mode controllers have the added advantage of reduced chattering. The nonlinear model of Pakistan Research Reactor-1 has been used for higherorder sliding-mode controller design and performance evaluation. The reactor core is simulated based on point kinetics equations and one delayed neutron groups. The model assumes feedback from lumped fuel and coolant temperatures. The effect of xenon concentration is also considered. The employed method is easy to implement in practical applications, and the second-order sliding-mode control exhibits the desired dynamic properties during the entire output-tracking process. Simulation results are presented to demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed controller in terms of performance, robustness, and stability.
- S.H. Qaiser, A.I. Bhatti, M. Iqbal, R. Samar, J. Qadir, Model validation and higher order sliding mode controller design for a research reactor, Ann. Nucl. Energy 36 (2008) 37-45.
- Pakistan Research Reactor-1, Final Safety Analysis Report for Conversion to LEU Fuel and Power Upgradation, 1991.
- A. Levant, Sliding order and sliding accuracy in sliding mode control, Int. J. Control 58 (1993) 1247-1263. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207179308923053
- A. Levant, Higher order sliding: collection of design tools, in: Proc. Eur. Control Conf., vol. 97, Brussels, 1997.
- G. Datatreya Reddy, B. Bandyopadhyay, A.P. Tiwari, Multirate output feedback based sliding mode spatial control for a large PHWR, IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. 54 (2007) 2677-2686. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNS.2007.910042
- Z. Huang, R.M. Edwards, K.Y. Lee, Fuzzy-adaptive recursive sliding-mode controller design for a nuclear power plant control, IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. 51 (2004) 256-266. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNS.2004.825100
- Y.B. Shtessel, Sliding mode control of the space nuclear reactor systems, IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst. 34 (1998) 579-589. https://doi.org/10.1109/7.670338
- Z. Huang, R.M. Edwards, Sliding-mode control application in ABWR plant pressure regulation, Proceedings of the International Congress on Advanced Nuclear Power Plants (ICAPP), Am. Nucl. Soc. Ill. (2002).
- R.M. Edwards, K.Y. Lee, M.A. Shultz, State feedback assisted classical control: an incremental approach to control modernization of existing and future nuclear reactors and power plants, Nucl. Technol. 92 (1990) 167-186. https://doi.org/10.13182/NT90-A34468
- S. Glasstone, A. Sesonske, Nuclear Reactor Engineering, third ed., CBS Publishers, New Delhi, 1986.
- A. Levant, Arbitrary-order sliding modes with finite time convergence, in: IEEE Mediterr. Conf. Control Syst., Alghero, Sardinia, Italy, 1998.
- K. Khan, M. Sarah, K. Spurgeon, P.F. Pulesto, Robust speed control of an automotive engine using second order sliding modes, in: Proc. Eur. Control Conf., Porto, Portugal, 2001.
- L. Fridman, A. Levant, Higher order sliding modes, in: Sliding Mode Control in Engineering, Marcel Dekker, New York, 2002, pp. 53-101.
- J. Davila, L. Fridman, A. Levant, Second-order sliding-mode observer for mechanical systems, IEEE Trans. Autom. Control 50 (2005) 1785-1790. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.2005.858636