- Volume 47 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
RESEARCH EFFORTS FOR THE RESOLUTION OF HYDROGEN RISK
- HONG, SEONG-WAN (Division of Severe Accident & PHWR Safety Research, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- KIM, JONGTAE (Division of Severe Accident & PHWR Safety Research, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- KANG, HYUNG-SEOK (Division of Severe Accident & PHWR Safety Research, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- NA, YOUNG-SU (Division of Severe Accident & PHWR Safety Research, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- SONG, JINHO (Division of Severe Accident & PHWR Safety Research, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute)
- Received : 2014.12.12
- Accepted : 2014.12.22
- Published : 2015.02.25
During the past 10 years, the Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute (KAERI) has performed a study to control hydrogen gas in the containment of the nuclear power plants. Before the Fukushima accident, analytical activities for gas distribution analysis in experiments and plants were primarily conducted using a multidimensional code: the GASFLOW. After the Fukushima accident, the COM3D code, which can simulate a multidimensional hydrogen explosion, was introduced in 2013 to complete the multidimensional hydrogen analysis system. The code validation efforts of the multidimensional codes of the GASFLOW and the COM3D have continued to increase confidence in the use of codes using several international experimental data. The OpenFOAM has been preliminarily evaluated for APR1400 containment, based on experience from coded validation and the analysis of hydrogen distribution and explosion using the multidimensional codes, the GASFLOW and the COM3D. Hydrogen safety in nuclear power has become a much more important issue after the Fukushima event in which hydrogen explosions occurred. The KAERI is preparing a large-scale test that can be used to validate the performance of domestic passive autocatalytic recombiners (PARs) and can provide data for the validation of the severe accident code being developed in Korea.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- US Nuclear Regulatory Commission, TMI-2 Lessons Learned Task Force Status Report and Short-Term Recommendations [Internet]. Office of Nuclear Reactor Regulation, US Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC, 1979 [cited 2015 Jan 5]. Available at: http://pbadupws.nrc.gov/docs/ML0900/ML090060030.pdf.
- National Academies Press, Lessons Learned from the Fukushima Nuclear Accident for Improving Safety of U.S. Nuclear Plants, National Academies Press, Washington, DC, 2014.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development/Nuclear Energy Agency (OECD/NEA), Agreement on the OECD/NEA HYMERS Project, Paris, France, 2012.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development/Nuclear Energy Agency (OECD/NEA), Agreement on the OECD/NEA THAI-Project, Paris, France, 2007.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development/Nuclear Energy Agency (OECD/NEA), Agreement on the OECD/NEA THAI-2 Project, Paris, France, 2011.
- MAAP4, Modular Accident Analysis Program, for LWR Plants, Code Manual, vols. 1e4, Fauske and Associates, Inc., Burr Ridge, IL, Palo Alto, CA, USA, 1994.
- R.O. Gauntt, R.K. Cole, C.M. Erickson, R.G. Gido, R.D. Gasser, S.B. Rodriguez, M.F. Young, S. Ashbaugh, M. Leonard, A. Hill, MELCOR Computer Code Manuals, Version 1.8.6, Users Guide and Reference Manual, NUREG/CR-6119, SAND 2005-5713, USNRC, Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque,NM,2005.
- J.R. Travis, J.W. Spore, P. Royl, K.L. Lam, T.L. Wilson, C. Muler, G.A. Necker, B.D. Nichols, R. Redinger, E.D. Haughes, H. Wikening, W. Baumann, G.F. Niederauer, GAFLOW: a Computational Fluid Dynamics Code for Gases, Aerosols, and Combustion, LA-13357-M, FZK-5994, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM, 1988.
- A. Miassoedov, Overview of Severe Accident Research Activities at KIT, CSARP Meeting, Bethesda, MD, Sep. 11e13, 2012.
- J. Kim, S.-W. Hong, S.-B. Kim, Analysis of Hydrogen. Behaviors during the Severe Accident by a Loss-of-coolant in the APR1400 Containment, Int'l Workshop on Passive Safety Systems in Advanced PWRs (IPASS), Shanghai Jiao Tong Univ., Shanghai, China, April 28e30, 2008.
- H. HoshiI, Severe Accident Activity at JNES, CSARP Meeting, Bethesda, MD, Sep. 11-13, 2012.
- T. Kanzleiter, S. Gupta, K. Fischer, G. Ahrens, G. Langer, A. Kuhnel, G. Poss, G. Langrock, F. Funke, Hydrogen, Fission Product, Issues Relevant for Containment Safety Assessment under Severe Accident Conditions, Becker Technologies GmbH, Eschborn, Germany, 2010.
- T.K. Blanchat, A. Maliakos, Performance Testing of Pass Autocatalytic Recombiners, NUREG/CR-6580, SAND97e2632, USNRC, Sandia National Laboratory, Albuquerque, NM, 1998.
- J.-W. Park, B.-R. Koh, K. Suh, Demonstrative testing of honeycomb passive autocatalytic recombiner for nuclear power plant, Nucl. Eng. Des. 241 (2011) 4280e4288. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2011.07.040
- O. Auban, R. Zboray, D. Paladino, Investigation of large-scale gas mixing and stratification phenomena related to LWR containment studiers in the PANDA facility, Nucl. Eng. Des. (2006) 409e419.
- H.D. Kim, D.H. Kim, S.B. Kim, J.H. Song, S.W. Hong, Investigation on the resolution of severe accident issues for Korean nuclear power plants, Nucl. Eng. Technol. 41 (2009) 617e648. https://doi.org/10.5516/NET.2009.41.5.617
- S. Kudriakov, F. Dabbene, E. Studer, A. Beccantini, J.P. Magnaud, H. Paillere, A. Bentaib, A. Bleyer, J. Malet, E. Porcheron, C. Caroli, The TONUS CFD code for hydrogen risk analysis: physical models, numerical scheme and validation matrix,, Nucl. Eng. Des. 238 (2008) 551e565. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2007.02.048
- D. Baraldi, M. Heitsch, H. Wilkening, CFD simulation of hydrogen combustion in a simplified EPR containment with CFX and REACFLOW, Nucl. Eng. Des. 237 (15e17) (2007) 1668e1678. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2007.02.026
- A.A. Efimenko, S.B. Dorofeev, CREBCOM code system for description of gaseous combustion, J. Loss Prev. Process Ind. 14 (2001) 575e581. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-4230(01)00049-3
- A. Kotchourko, A. Lelyakin, J. Yanez, Z. Xu, K. Ren, COM3D: Turbulent Combustion Code, User Guide, Version 4.3, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Karlsruhe, Germany, 2012.
- ANSYS Inc, CFX-13 User Manual, Simpsonville, MD, 2013.
- A. Bentaib, N. Chaumeix, SARNET H2 Combustion Benchmark; Specification of ENACCEF Tests, Technical Report, L'Institut de Radioprotection et de Suˆ rete Nucleaire (IRSN), Fontenay-aux-Roses, France, 2011.
- H.S. Kang, S.B. Kim, S.W. Hong, CFD Analysis for Diluents Effect on H2 Flame Acceleration in the ENACCEF Facility, Nuclear Thermal Hydraulics and Safety (NTHAS9), Nov. 16e19, Buyeo, Republic of Korea, 2014.
- J. Kim, S.W. Hong, S.B. Kim, H.-D. Kim, Hydrogen mitigation strategy of the APR1400 nuclear power plant for a hypothetical station blackout accident, Nucl. Technol. 150 (2005) 263e282. https://doi.org/10.13182/NT05-A3621
- M.A. Movahed-Shariat-Panahi, Recommendation for maximum allowable mesh size for plant combustion analyses with CFD codes, Nucl. Eng. Des. 253 (2012) 360e366. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2011.08.065
- H. Weller, C. Greenshields, M. Janssens, OpenFOAM: the Open Source CFD Toolbox User Guide [Internet], 2014. Available from: http://www.openfoam.org/download (accessed 05.01.15).
- J. Kim, S.B. Kim, H.J. Kim, Numerical method for evaluation of hydrogen flame acceleration in a compartment of a nuclear power plant, J. Comput. Fluid Eng. 15 (2010) 64e72.
- J. Kim, S.W. Hong, Analysis of hydrogen flame acceleration in APR1400 containment by coupling hydrogen distribution and combustion analysis codes, Prog. Nucl. Energy 78 (2015) 101e109. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pnucene.2014.09.003
- N. Zuber, G.E. Wilson, M. Ishii, W. Wulff, B.E. Boyack, A.E. Dukler, P. Griffith, J.M. Healzer, R.E. Henry, J.R. Lehner, S. Levy, F.J. Moody, M. Pilch, B.R. Sehgal, B.W. Spencer, T.G. Theofanous, J. Valente, An integrated structure and scaling methodology for severe accident technical issue resolution: development of methodology, Nucl. Eng. Des. 186 (1e2) (1998) 1e21. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(98)00215-5
- A. Bejan, Convection Heat Transfer, second ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, 1995.
- Y.S. Na, S.-W. Hong, S.-H. Honga, B.-T. Min, Introduction to Large-sized Test Facility for validating Containment Integrity under Severe Accidents, Transactions of the Korean Nuclear Society Spring Meeting Jeju, Korea, May 29-30, 2014.
- Nuclear Safety and Security Commission (NSSC), NSSC Meeting, Nov. 2011.