- Volume 21 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of shelter performance following the 2013 Moore tornado
- Scott, Pataya L. (National Wind Institute, Texas Tech University) ;
- Liang, Daan (National Wind Institute, Texas Tech University)
- Received : 2014.11.06
- Accepted : 2015.09.04
- Published : 2015.10.25
Moore, Oklahoma was hit by an EF5 tornado on May 20, 2013. The tornado track slightly overlapped with two previous tornadoes that occurred on May 3, 1999 and May 8, 2003 respectively. A research team from Texas Tech University was deployed to investigate the performance of shelters based on observation of their post-storm conditions. Sixty-one shelter units were further documented by size, manufacturer, and date of installation if available. Then they were crossed referenced with the external databases to determine their compliance with design and construction standards by the International Code Council/National Storm Shelter Association and/or criteria from the Federal Emergency Management Agency publications. Wind intensity was estimated for each shelter location using the EF scale. Results showed a marked increase in the number of exterior underground shelters as well as the popularity of a new in-garage floor underground shelter design. All of the units provided protection for their occupants with no loss of life reported. However, one older shelter had a door failure due to neglect of maintenance. Recommendations were made to improve future performance of shelters.
- Anna, G., Mehta, K., Tanner, L.J. Zhou, Z., Conder, M., Howard, R., Martinez, M. and Weinbeck, S. (2000), The tornadoes of Oklahoma City of May 3, 1999, Wind Science and Engineering Research Center, Texas Tech University.
- Burgess, D., Ortega, K., Stumpf, G., Garfield, G., Karstens, C., Meyer, T., Smith, B., Speheger, D., Ladue, J., Smith, R. and Marshall, T. (2014), "20 May 2013 Moore, Oklahoma, tornado: damage survey and analysis", Weather Forecasting, 29(5), 1229-1237. https://doi.org/10.1175/WAF-D-14-00039.1
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (2014), Taking Shelter from the Storm: Building a Safe Room for Your Home or Small Business, FEMA P-320 4th Ed., Washington, D.C.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (2014), Tornado: Moore, Oklahoma, May 20, 2013, FEMA P-1020, Washington D.C.
- Google_Maps (2013), Paths of tornadoes in Moore, Okla. (WDT Inc. analysis), Retrieved August 7, 2013, 2013, from. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&t=h&source=embed&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=206221927654599418299.0004dd378fa0db7415f3f.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (2008), Design and Construction Guidance for Community Safe Rooms, FEMA P-361Second Edition, Washington, D.C.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (2008), Taking Shelter from the Storm: Building a Safe Room for Your Home or Small Business, FEMA P-320 3rd Ed., Washington, D.C.
- Graettinger, A.J., Ramseyer, C.C.E., Freyne, S., Prevatt, D.O., Myers, L., Dao, T., Floyd, R.W., Holliday, L., Agdas, D., Haan, F.L., Richardson, J., Gupta, R., Emerson, R.N. and Alfano, C. (2014), Tornado Damage Assessment in the aftermath of the May 20th 2013 Moore Oklahoma Tornado, Research Report, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia.
- ICC and NSSA (2008), Standard for the Design and Construction of Storm Shelters, ICC 500, Country Club Hills, IL.
- ICC and NSSA (2014), Standard for the Design and Construction of Storm Shelters, ICC 500, Country Club Hills, IL.
- Kiesling, E.W., Tanner, L.J. (2003), Upper Midwest and Southeast Storms, May 2003, Wind Science and Engineering Research Center, Texas Tech University.
- Kiesling, E.W., Levitan, M.L. and Vega, R.E. (2009), "Introducing the ICC/NSSA Standard for Design and Construction of Storm Shelters", Proceedings of the 11th Americas Conference on Wind Engineering, San Juan, Puerto Rico, June.
- Paul, B.K. and Stimers, M. (2012), "Exploring probable reasons for record fatalities: the case of 2011 Joplin, Missouri, tornado", Nat. Hazards, 64(2), 1511-1526. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11069-012-0313-3
- Standohar-Alfano, C.D., Freyne, S., Graettinger, A.J., Floyd, R.W. and Dao, T.N. (2014), "Performance of residential shelters during the May 20, 2013, tornado in Moore, Oklahoma", Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities.
- Sutter, Daniel, Kevin M. Simmons (2010), "Tornado fatalities and mobile homes in the United States", Nat. Hazards, 53(1), 125-137. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11069-009-9416-x