- Volume 9 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Performance based assessment for existing residential buildings in Lake Van basin and seismicity of the region
- Isik, Ercan (Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering and Architecture, Bitlis Eren University) ;
- Kutanis, Mustafa (Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Sakarya University)
- Received : 2014.12.02
- Accepted : 2015.04.20
- Published : 2015.10.25
Earthquake safety of existing buildings has gained considerable importance after earthquakes which have occurred in our country especially in the last 30 years. Performance based assessment methods have been widely used for existing reinforced concrete structures. This study aims to investigate the earthquake performances of the building stock located in Van Lake basin in Eastern Anatolia of Turkey. The case study of buildings has been modeled on and the structural performances have been determined by employing the non-linear methods described in the latest Turkish Earthquake Code published in 2007. The Van lake basin is located on the very seismically active in a region. On October 23, 2011, a magnitude of Mw 7.2 earthquake struck the Van province in eastern Turkey. The earthquake ground motion was recorded as about 0.1g in Bitlis province. Performance evaluations have been performed by taking samples from each district consisting urban building stocks of Bitlis. A total of 16 reinforced concrete buildings have been evaluated. Among them, 53% of those buildings were determined in the Fully Operational performance level; 13% of them in the Life Safety performance and 34% of them could not be evaluated because of the ratio of the effective mass of first mode to the total mass of the buildings was smaller than 0.70. Therefore, incremental equivalent seismic load methods, which are a part of Turkish Earthquake Code -2007, cannot be used.
- Arisoy, B., (2010), "Yapisal ozellikleri farkli BA binalarin performansa dayali analizi", J. Fac. Eng. Architec. Gazi Univ., 25(3), 431-439.
- Applied Technology Council (ATC), (1996), Seismic evaluation and retrofit of concrete buildings, Report No. ATC-40, Seismic Safety Commission, State of California.
- Armenian Soviet Encyclopedia (1976), Armenian Academy of Sciences, Yerevan, Armenia
- Aydinoglu, M.N. (2003), "Yapilarin deprem performansinin degerlendirilmesi icin artimsal spektrum analizi (arsa) yontemi", 5. Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Aydinoglu, M.N. (2007), "A response spectrum-based nonlinear assessment tool for practice: incremental response spectrum analysis (IRSA)", ISET J. Earthq. Technol., 44(1), 169-192.
- Barka, A. and Kadinsky-Cade, K.(1988), "Strike-slip fault geometry in Turkey and its influence on earthquake activity", Tectonic., 7(3), 663-684. https://doi.org/10.1029/TC007i003p00663
- Bonnin, J., Cara, M. and Cisternas, A. (1988), Seismic Hazard in Mediterranean Regions, Procedings of the Summer School Organized in Strasbourg, France.
- Bozkurt, E. (2001), " Neotectonics of Turkey -a synthesis", Geodinamica Acta, 14(1), 3-30. https://doi.org/10.1080/09853111.2001.11432432
- Chopra, A.K. and Goel, R.K., (2002), "A modal pushover analysis procedure for estimating seismic demands for buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 31(3), 561-582. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.144
- Doran, B., Akbas, B., Sayim, I., Fahjan, Y. and Alacali, S.N. (2011), "Uzun periyotlu bir yapida yapisal saglik izlemesi ve deprem performansinin belirlenmesi", Turkey Conference on Earthquake Engineering and Seismology, Ankara, Turkey.
- Fajfar, P. (1999), "Capacity spectrum method based on inelastic demand spectra", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 28(9), 979-993. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199909)28:9<979::AID-EQE850>3.0.CO;2-1
- Fema 356 (2000), Prestandard and Commentary for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Buildings, FEMA, Washington, DC.
- Freeman, S.A., Nicoletti, J.P. and Tyrell, J.V. (1975), "Evaluations of existing buildings for seismic risk - a case study of Puget Sound Naval Shipyard Bremerton, Washington", In Proceedings of the 1st US National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Oakland, CA: Earthquake Engineering Research Institute.
- Gokalp, E. and Bagci, M. (2009), "A2 Duzensizligi bulunan betonarme bir binanin, mod birlestirme yontemi Ile deprem performansinin belirlenmesi", Electron. J. Constr. Technol., 5(1), 37-48.
- Homke, S. (2007), "Timing of shortening and uplift of the Pusht-e Kuh Arc in the zagros fold and thrust belt (Iran); A combined magnetostratigraphy and apatite thermochronolgy analysis", Universitat de Barcelona, Facultad de Geologia,Departamento de Geodinamica y Geofisica, Barcelona, Spain.
- Horasan, G. and Boztepe-Guney, A. (2007), "Observation and analysis of low-frequency crustal earthquakes in Lake Van and its vicinity", East. Turkey J. Seismol., 11(1), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10950-006-9022-2
- Isik, E., Aydin, M.C., Bakis, A. and Ozluk, M.H. (2012), "The faults near Bitlis and seismicity of the region", Bitlis Eren University, BEU J. Sci., 1(2), 153-169.
- Ilki, A. and Celep, Z. (2011), "Betonarme yapilarin deprem guvenligi", Turkiye Deprem Muhendisligi ve Sismoloji Konferansi, Ankara, Turkey.
- Inel, M. (2008), " 2007 Deprem yonetmeliginde mevcut binalarin performanslarinin degerlendirilmesi", IMO Denizli Subesi, Lectures notes.
- Kutanis, M. and Boru, O.E. (2014), "The need for upgrading the seismic performance objectives", Earthq. Struct., 7(4), 401-414. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.4.401
- Kutanis, M. (2006), "Investigation of novel nonlinear static analysis procedures", 7th International Congress on Advances in Civil Engineering, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Lyberis, N., Yurur, T., Chrowicz, J., Kasapoglu, E. and Gundogdu, N. (1992) "The East Anatolian fault : an oblique collisional belt", Tectonophys., 204(1), 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/0040-1951(92)90265-8
- McClusky, S., Balassanian, S., Barka, A., Demir, C., Ergintav, S., Georgiev, I., Gurkan, O., Hamburger, M., Hurst, K., Kahle, H., Kastens, K., Nadariya, M., Ouzouni, A., Paradissis, D., Peter, Y., Prilepin, M., Reilinger, R., Sanli, I., Seeger, H., Tealeb, A., Toksoz, M.N. and Veis, G. (2000), "GPS constraints on plate kinematics and dynamics in the Eastern Mediterranean and Caucasus", J. Geophysic. Res.: Solid Earth, 105(B3), 5695-5719. https://doi.org/10.1029/1999JB900351
- Ozer, E. (2007), "Performansa Dayali Tasarim ve Degerlendirme", ITU, Lectures Notes.
- Piper, J., Tatar, O., Gursoy, H., Mesci, L., Kocbulut, F. and Huang, B. (2008), "Post-collisional deformation of the Anatolides and motion of the Arabian indenter : a paleomagnetic analysis", IOP Publishing, Donald D Harrington Symposium on the Geology of the Aegean, IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science 2.
- Reilinger, R., McClusky, S., Vernant P., Lawrence, S., Ergintav, S., Cakmak, R., Ozener, H., Kadirov, F., Guliev, I., Stepanyan, R., Nadariya, M., Hahubia, G., Mahmoud, S., Sakr, K., ArRajehi, A., Paradissis, D., Al-Aydrus, A., Prilepin, M., Guseva, T., Evren, E., Dmitrotsa, A., Filikov, S. V., Gomez, F., Al-Ghazzi, R. and Karam, G. (2006), "GPS constraints on continental deformation in the Africa-Arabia-Eurasia continental collision zone and implications for the dynamics of plate interactions", J. Geophys. Res.: Solid Earth, 111(B5).
- SEAOC (1995), Vision 2000: Performance Based Seismic Engineering of Buildings, San Francisco.
- Sengor, A.M.C., Gorur, N. and Saroglu, F. (1985), "Strike-slip deformation, basin formation and sedimentation: strike-slip faulting and related basin formation in zones of tectonic escape: Turkey as a case study", Soc. Eco. Paleontol. Mineral., 37, 227-264.
- Stern, R.J. and Johnson, P.R. (2008), "Do variations in Arabian Plate lithospheric structure control deformation in the Arabian-Eurasian Convergence Zone", IOP Publishing, Donald D Harrington Symposium on the Geology of the Aegean, IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science 2.
- Sucuoglu, H. (2006), 2007 Deprem Yonetmeligi Performans Esasli Hesap Yontemlerinin Karsilikli Degerlendirmesi, Turkiye Muhendislik Haberleri, 444-445.
- Toker, M., Krastel, S., Demirel-Schueter, F., Demirbag, E. and Imren, C. (2007), "Volcano-seismicity of Lake Van (Eastern Turkey), a comparative analysis of seismic reflection and three component velocity seismogram data and new insights into volcanic lake seismicity", International Earthquake Symposium, Kocaeli, Turkey.
- Turkish Earthquake Code (2007), Turkish earthquake code-specification for structures to be built in disaster areas, Turkey.
- Utkucu, M., Durmus, H., Yalcin, H., Budakoglu, E. and Isik, E. (2013), "Coulomb static stress changes before and after the 23 October 2011 Van, eastern Turkey, earthquake (MW=7.1): implications for the earthquake hazard mitigation", Natl. Haz. Earth Syst. Sci., 13(7), 1889-1902. https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-13-1889-2013
- Seismic vulnerability of old confined masonry buildings in Osijek, Croatia vol.11, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.11.4.629
- Seismic performance of RC buildings subjected to past earthquakes in Turkey vol.11, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.11.3.483
- Seismic vulnerability assessment of an old historical masonry building in Osijek, Croatia, using Damage Index vol.28, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.culher.2017.05.012
- Performance based assessment of steel frame structures by different material models vol.17, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-017-9013-x
- Predicting the seismic performance of typical R/C healthcare facilities: emphasis on hospitals vol.9, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40091-017-0164-y
- Performance Analysis of Steel Structures with A3 Irregularities vol.18, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-018-0046-6