- Volume 51 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Characteristics and functional analysis of Bacillus strains from the fermented soybean products, Cheonggukjang
전통 발효 청국장으로부터 분리한 Bacillus 균주들의 특성 및 기능 분석
- Moon, Ji-Young (Agricultural Microbiology Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kwon, Soon-Wo (Agricultural Microbiology Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Hong, Seung-Beom (Agricultural Microbiology Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Seok, Soon-Ja (Agricultural Microbiology Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Jeong-Seon (Agricultural Microbiology Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Soo-Jin (Agricultural Microbiology Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration)
- 문지영 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농업미생물과) ;
- 권순우 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농업미생물과) ;
- 홍승범 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농업미생물과) ;
- 석순자 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농업미생물과) ;
- 김정선 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농업미생물과) ;
- 김수진 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 농업미생물과)
- Received : 2015.09.04
- Accepted : 2015.09.23
- Published : 2015.09.30
For selecting Bacillus strains producing high-quality Cheonggukjang, 8 strains were isolated from the different Cheonggukjang samples. Seven of them exhibited the highest 16S rRNA gene sequence similarity value of over 99.9% to Bacillus subtilis subsp. subtilis and one of them showed the similarity to B. licheniformis. All the strains showed positive activities for amylase, cellulase, protease and lipase, and 6 strains are positive for fibrinolytic activity. To confirm the safety of the strains isolated from the samples of Cheonggukjang which are manufactured by traditional method, strains were analyzed for the presence of seven toxin genes of Bacillus cereus and results were found negative. And 7 strains did not produce at all or merely produce both histamine and tyramine, the representative biogenic amines. Biogenic amine degradation analysis by HPLC revealed that, most of them exhibited tyramine degradation activity. For Cheonggukjang fermented by artificial inoculation of selected strains, fermentation property, sensory test, volatile basic nitrogen production and metabolic profiles by
Bacillus;biogenic amine;Cheonggukjang;enzyme activity;fibrinolysis
Supported by : 국립농업과학원
- Astrup, T. and Mullert, Z. 1952. The fibrin palte method for estimating fibrinolytic activity. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 40, 346-351. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9861(52)90121-5
- Back, H.I., Kim, S.R., Yang, J.A., Kim, M.G., Chae, S.W., and Cha, Y.S. 2011. Effects of Chungkookjang supplementation on obesity and atherosclerotic indices in overweight/obese subjects: a 12-week, randomized, double-blined, placebo-controlled clinical trial. J. Med. Food 14, 532-537. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2010.1199
- Baek, S.Y., Yun, H.J., Choi, H.S., Koo, B.S., and Yeo, S.H. 2010. Isolation and physiological characteristics of microorganisms producing extracellular enzymes from Korean traditional soybean sauce and soybean paste. Kor. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 38, 379-384.
- Bermúdez, R., Lorenzo, J.M., Fonseca, S., Franco, I., and Carballo, J. 2012. Strains of Staphylococcus and Bacillus isolated from traditional sausages as producers of biogenic amines. Front Microbiol. 3, 1-6.
- Halasz, A., Barath, A., Simon-Sarkadi, L., and Holzapfel, W. 1994. Biogenic amines and their porduction by microorganisms in food. Trends Food Sci. Technol. 5, 42-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/0924-2244(94)90070-1
- Jung, J.Y., Lee, S.H., Kim, J.M., Park, M.S., Bae, J.W., Hahn, Y., Madsen, E.L., and Jeon, C.O. 2011. Metagenomic analysis of Kimchi, a traditional Korean fermented food. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 77, 2264-2274. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.02157-10
- Jung, J.Y., Lee, S.H., Lee, H.J., and Jeon, C.O. 2013. Microbial succession and metabolite changes during fermentation of saeu-jeot, traditional Korean salted seafood. Food Microbiol. 34, 360-368. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2013.01.009
- Kim, H.B., Lee, H.S., Kim, S.J., Yoo, H.J., Hwang, J.S., Chen, G., and Youn, H.J. 2007. Ethanol extract of fermented soybean, Chungkookjang, inhibits the apoptosis of mouse spleen, and thymus cells. J. Microbiol. 45, 256-261.
- Kim, Y.S., Jeong, J.O., Cho, S.H., Jeong, D.Y., and Uhm, T.B. 2012. Antimicrobial and biogenic amine-degrading activity of Bacillus licheniformis SCK B11 isolated from traditionally fermemted red pepper paste. J. Microbiol. 48, 163-170.
- Kim, N.Y., Song, E.J., Kwon, D.Y., Kim, H.P., and Heo, M.Y. 2008. Antioxidant and antigenotoxic activities of Korean fermented soybean. Food Chem. Toxicol. 46, 1184-1189. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2007.12.003
- Kim, J.S., Yoo, S.M., Choe, J.S., Park, H.J., Hong, S.P., and Chang, C.M. 1998. Physicochemical properties of traditional Chonggugjang produced in different regions. J. Korean Soc. Agric. Chem. Biotechnol. 41, 377-383.
- Park, S.Y., Bang, M.A., Oh, B.J., Park, J.H., Song, W.S., Choi, K.M., Choung, E.S., Boo, H.O., and Cho, S.S. 2013. Fermentation and quality characteristics of Cheonggukjang fermented with Bacillus subtilis BC-P1. Kor. J. Microbiol. 49, 262-269. https://doi.org/10.7845/kjm.2013.3046
- Silla Santos, M.H. 1996. Biogenic amines: their importance in foods. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 29, 231-231.
- Smith, T.A. 1980. Amines in food. Food Chem. 6, 169-200.
- Stratton, J.E., Hutkins, R.W., and Taylor, S.L. 1991. Biogenic amines in cheese and other fermented foods: a review. J. Food Prot. 54, 460-470. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-54.6.460
- Sulistyo, J., Taya, N., Funane, K., and Kiuchi, K. 1988. Production of Natto starter. Nippon Shokuhin Kogyo Gakkaishi. 35, 278-283. https://doi.org/10.3136/nskkk1962.35.4_278
- Suzzi, G. and Gardivi, F. 2003. Biogenic amines in fermented sausages: a review. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 88, 41-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(03)00080-1
- Taylor, S.L. 1985. Histamine poisoning associated with fish, cheese and other foods. Geneva: World Health Organization, WPH/FOS. 85, 1-47.
- Yang S.H., Choi, M.R., Kim, J.K., and Chung, Y.G. 1992. Characteristics of the taste in traditional Korean soybean paste. J. Korean Soc. Food Nutr. 21, 443-448.
- Yoo, H.J., Lee, D.S., and Kim, H.B. 2004. Chungkookjang fermentation of mixture of barley, wormwood, sea tangle, and soybean. Kor. J. Microbiol. 30, 49-53.
- Probiotic characteristics of Bacillus strains isolated from Korean traditional soy sauce vol.79, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2016.08.040