- Volume 48 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Distribution of Cd and Pb Accumulated in Medicinal Plant Roots and Their Cultivation Soils
- Seo, Byoung-Hwan (Department of Agronomy and Medicinal Plant Resources, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Hyuck Soo (Chemical Safety Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Bae, Jun-Sik (Department of Agronomy and Medicinal Plant Resources, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Won-Il (Chemical Safety Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Hong, Chang-Ho (Department of Life Science and Environmental Biochemistry, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Kwon-Rae (Department of Agronomy and Medicinal Plant Resources, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2015.06.17
- Accepted : 2015.08.13
- Published : 2015.08.31
In general, plant roots accumulate more heavy metals than the above ground organs such as leaf, stem, and fruit. This implies that root medicinal plants would be an issue with excessive heavy metal accumulation. Therefore, the current study was carried out to investigate the distribution of heavy metal (focused on Cd and Pb) concentrations in soils and medicinal plant roots grown in different region of Korea. Total 293 samples for each soil and plant were collected along the national wide. Soil pH, total and phytoavailable metal concentrations (1 M
Contamination;Food safety;Heavy metal;Phytoavailability
Grant : Research Program for Agricultural Science & Technology Development
Supported by : National Academy of Agricultural Science
- Bolan, N.S., D.C. Adriano, P.A. Mani. and A. Duraisamy. 2003. Immobilization and phytoavailability of cadmium in variable charge soils. II. Effect of lime addition. Plant Soil 251: 187-198. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1023037706905
- DIN (Deutsches Institut fur Normung). 1995. Soil quality extraction of trace elements with ammonium nitrate solution. DIN 19730, Beuth Verlag, Berlin.
- KFRI (Korea Forest Research Institute). 2009. Production and distribution of mountain medicinal plant. Korea Forest Research Institute, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, B.Y., K.S. Kim, J.S. Lee, and S.H. Yoo. 1994. Survey on the natural content of heavy metal in medicinal herbs and their cultivated soils in Korea. RDA. J. Agri. Sci. 36: 310-320.
- Kim, H.S., K.R. Kim, H.J. Kim, J.H. Yoon, J.E. Yang, Y.S. Ok, G. Owens, and K.H. Kim. 2015. Effect of biochar on heavy metal immobilization and uptake by lettuce (Lactuca sativa L.) in agricultural soil. Environ. Earth Sci. DOI 10.1007/s12665-015-4116-1 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-015-4116-1
- Kim, J.Y. 2013. Development and industrialization of functional bioactive material from the medicinal plant. Food Industry and Nutrition 18: 1-6.
- Kim, K.R., J.G. Kim, J.S. Park, M.S. Kim, G. Owens, G.H. Youn, and J.S. Lee. 2012. Immobilizer-assisted management of metal-contaminated agricultural soils for safer food production. J. Environ. Manage. 102: 88-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2012.02.001
- Kumpiene, J., A. Lagerkvist, and C. Maurice. 2008. Stabilization of As, Cr, Cu, Pb and Zn in soil using amendments - A review. Waste Manage. 28:215-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2006.12.012
- Lai, H. and Z. Chen. 2005. The EDTA effect on phytoextraction of single and combined metals-contaminated soils using rainbow pink (Dianthus chinensis). Chemosphere 60: 1062-1071. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2005.01.020
- Lee, H.H., J.M. Seo, M.S. Oh, I.S. Gang, J.J. Park, K.W. Seo, D.R. Ha, E.S. Kim. 2010. A survey on harmful materials of commercial medical herb in Gwangju area. J. Fd. Hyg. Safety 25:83-90.
- Lee, J.H., J.Y. Kim, W.R. Go, E.J. Jeong, A. Kunhikrishnan, G.B. Jung, D.H. Kim, and W.I. Kim. 2012. Current research trends for heavy metals of agricultural soils and crop uptake in Korea. Korean J. Environ. Agric. 31: 75-95. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2012.31.1.75
- Lombi, E., R.E. Hamon, S.P. McGrath, and M.J. McLaughlin. 2003. Lability of Cd, Cu, and Zn in polluted soils treated with lime, beringite, and red mud and identification of a non-labile colloidal fraction of metals using isotopic techniques. Environ. Sci. Technol. 37: 979-984. https://doi.org/10.1021/es026083w
- MAFRA (Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs). 2011. Food Sanitation Act 2011. Seoul, Korea.
- Masarovicova, E., K. Kraiova, and M. Kummerova. 2010. Principles of classification of medicinal plants as hyperaccumulators or excluders. Acta Physiol. Plant 32: 823-829. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11738-010-0474-1
- MFDS (Ministry of Food and Drug Safety). 2006. Reasearch about heavy metal contamination in produce cultivated in mining area. Ministry of Food and Drug Safety, Seoul, Korea.
- MFDS (Ministry of Food and Drug Safety). 2010. Pharmaceutical Affairs Act 2010, Seoul, Korea.
- MoE (Ministry of Environment). 2015. Soil Environmental Act 2015, Sejong, Korea.
- Naidu R., N.S. Bolan, R.S. Kookana, and K.G. Tiller. 1994. Ionic-strength and pH effects on the adsorption of cadmium and the surface charge of soils. Eur. J. Soil Sci. 45: 419-429. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2389.1994.tb00527.x
- Nam, Y., S.H. Yong, and K.K. Song. 2010. Evaluating quality of fertilizer manufactured (livestock manure compost) with different sources in Korea. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 43: 644-649.
- Nazir, A., R.N. Malik, M. Ajaib, N. Khan, and M.F. Siddiqui. 2011 Hyperaccmulators of heavy metals of industrial areas of Islamabad and Rawalpindi. Pak. J. Bot. 43: 1925-1933.
- Park, S.W., J.S. Yang, S.W. Ryu, D.Y. Kim, J.D. Shin, W.I. Kim, J.H. Choi, S.L. Kim, and A.F. Saint. 2009. Uptake and Translocation of Heavy Metals to Rice Plant on Paddy Soils in "Top-Rice" Cultivation Areas. Korean J. Environ. Agric. 28: 131-138. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2009.28.2.131
- RDA (Rural Development Administration). 2012. Annual report 2012: monitoring project on agroenvironmental quality. RDA, Suwon, 2012.
- Walker, D.J., R. Clemente, and M.P. Bernal. 2004. Contrasting effects of manure and compost on soil pH, heavy metal availability and growth of Chenopodium album L. in a soil contaminated by pyritic mine waste. Chemosphere 57: 215-224. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2004.05.020
- Wei, S., Q. Zhou, and S. Mathews. 2008. A newly found cadmium accumulator-Taraxacum mongolicum. J. Harzard. Mater. 159: 544-547. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.02.052
- Yim, O.K., E.J. Han, J.Y. Chung, K.S. Park, I.H. Kang, S.J. Kang, Y.J. Kim. 2009. The Monitoring of some heavy metals in oriental herbal medicines and their intake rates. Analytical Science & Technology 22: 128-135.
- Yoon, J.K., D.H. Kim, T.S. Kim, J.G. Park, I.R. Chung, J.H. Kim., and H. Kim. 2009. Evaluation on natural background of the soil heavy metals in Korea. J. Soil Groundwater Env. 14: 32-39.
- Zeng, F., S. Ali, H. Zhang, Y. Ouyang, B. Qiu, F. Wu, and G. Zhang. 2011. The influence of pH and organic matter content in paddy soil on heavy metal availability and their uptake by rice plants. Environ. pollut. 159: 84-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2010.09.019
- Differences in Heavy Metal Accumulation in Different Medicinal Plants in Association with Lime Application vol.49, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2016.49.3.271