- Volume 48 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Relation between Chemical Properties and Microbial Activities in Soils from Reclaimed Tidal Lands at South-western Coast Area in Korea
- Park, Mi-Na (Division of Food & Environmental Sciences, Wonkwang University) ;
- Go, Gang-Seuk (Division of Food & Environmental Sciences, Wonkwang University) ;
- Kim, Chang-Hwan (Department of Ecology Landscape Architecture-Design, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Bae, Hui-Su (National Institute of Crop Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Sa, Tongmin (Department of Environmental Science and Biological Chemistry, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Choi, Joon-Ho (Division of Food & Environmental Sciences, Wonkwang University)
- Received : 2015.06.23
- Accepted : 2015.08.20
- Published : 2015.08.31
The scientific information between microbial community and chemical properties of reclaimed tidal soil is not enough to understand the land reclamation process. This study was conducted to investigate the relation between chemical properties and microbial activities of soils from reclaimed tidal lands located at south-western coastal area (42 samples from Goheuong, Samsan, Bojun, Kunnae, Hwaong and Yeongsangang sites). Most of the reclaimed soils showed chemical characteristics as salinity soil based on EC. Only
Salinity;Microbial population;Microbial community containing hydrolytic enzyme activity;Electrical conductivity
Grant : Cooperative Research Program for Agricultural Science & Technology Development
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Aciego, P.J.C. and P.C. Brookes. 2009. Substrate inputs and pH as factors controlling microbial biomass, activity and community structure in an arable soil. Soil Biol. Biochem. 41:1396-1405. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2009.03.017
- Ahn, B.K., H.J. Kim, S.S. Han, Y.H. Lee and J.H. Lee. 2011. Response of microbial distribution to soil properties of orchard fields in Jeonbuk area. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 44:696-701. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2011.44.5.696
- Bossio, D.A. and K.M. Scow. 1998. Impacts of carbon and flooding on soil microbial communities: phospholipid fatty acid profiles and substrate utilization patterns. Micro. Ecol. 35:265-278. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002489900082
- Brisou, J., D. Courtois and F. Denis. 1974. Microbiological study of a hypersaline lake in French Somaliland. Appl. Microbiol. 27:819-822.
- Clegg, C.D. 2006. Impact of cattle grazing and inorganic fertiliser additions to managed grasslands on the microbial community composition of soils. Appl. Soil Ecol. 31:73-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsoil.2005.04.003
- Crecchio, C., M. Curici, M.D.R. Pizzigallo, P. Ricciuti and P. Ruggiero. 2004. Effects of municipal solid waste compost amendments on soil enzyme activities and bacterial genetic diversity. Soil Biol. Biochem. 36:1595-1605. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2004.07.016
- Deenik, J. 2006. Nitrogen Mineralization potential in important agricultural soils of Hawaii. Soil Crop Manage. 15:1-5.
- Dinesh, R., R.P. Dubey and G.S. Prasad. 1998. Soil microbial biomass and enzyme activities as influenced by organic manure incorporation into soils of a rice-rice system. J. Agron. Crop Sci. 181:173-178. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-037X.1998.tb00414.x
- Filip, Z. 2002. International approach to assessing soil quality by ecologically-related biological parameters. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 88:169-174. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-8809(01)00254-7
- Hu, C. and Z. Cao. 2007. Size and activity of the soil microbial biomass and soil enzyme activity in long-term field experiments. World J. Agri. Sci. 3:63-70.
- James, N. 1958. Soil extract in soil microbiology. Can. J. Microbiol. 4:363-370. https://doi.org/10.1139/m58-038
- Joa, J.H., K.H. Moon, K.S. Choi, S.C. Kim and S.W. Koh. 2013. Soil dehydrogenase activity and microbial biomass C in croplands of Jeju province. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 46: 122-128. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2013.46.2.122
- Kang, H.J., S.K. Kang and D.W. Lee. 2009. Variations of soil enzyme activities in a temperate forest soil. Ecol. Res. 24:1137-1143. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11284-009-0594-5
- Kemmitt, S.J., D. Wright, K.W.T. Goulding and D.L. Jones. 2006. pH regulation of carbon and nitrogen dynamics in two agricultural soils. Soil Biol. Biochem. 38:898-911. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2005.08.006
- Kim, Y.I., S.H. Jung, J.S. Seok, S.Y. Yang, J.W. Huh and W.S. Kwak. 2007. Isolation and identification of high cellulolytic bacteria from spent mushroom substrate and determination of optimal medium conditions for the growth. Kor. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 35:255-260.
- Kim, B.Y., H.Y. Weon, I.C. Park, S.Y. Lee, W.G. Kim and J.K. Song. 2011. Microbial diversity and community analysis in lettuce or cucumber cultivated greenhouse soil in Korea. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 44:1169-1175. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2011.44.6.1169
- Kirk, J.L., L.A. Beaudette, M. Hart, P. Moutoglis, J.N. Klironomos, H. Lee and J.T. Trevors. 2004. Methods of studying soil microbial diversity. J. Microbiol. Meth. 58: 169-188. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mimet.2004.04.006
- Klein, D.A., T.C. Loh and R.L. Goulding. 1971. Short communication: A rapid procedure to evaluate the dehydrogenase activity of soils low in organic matter. Soil Biol. Biochem. 3:385-387. https://doi.org/10.1016/0038-0717(71)90049-6
- Ko, E.S., J.A. Joung, C.H. Kim, S.H. Lee, T.M. Sa and J.H. Choi. 2014. Relationship between chemical property and microbial activity of reclaimed tidal lands at western coast area in Korea. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 47:254-261. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2014.47.4.254
- Lee, K.B., J.G. Kang, J. Li, D.B. Lee, C.W. Park and J.D. Lim. 2007. Evaluation of salt-tolerant plant for improving saline soil of reclaimed land. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 40:173-180.
- Lee, S., H.S. Bae, S.H. Lee, J.G. Kang, H.K. Kim, K.B. Lee and K.H. Park. 2013a. Effect of soil salinity levels on silage barley growth at Saemangeum reclaimed tidal land, Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert., 46:365-372. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2013.46.5.365
- Lee, S., H.K. Kim, S.W. Hwang and K.B. Lee. 2013b. Changes of soil properties with various soil amendments in Saemangeum reclaimed tidal saline soil, Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert., 46:281-287. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2013.46.4.281
- Lee, Y.H. and S.K. Ha. 2011. Impact of chemical properties on microbial population from upland soils in Gyeongnam province. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 44:242-247. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2011.44.2.242
- Martin, J.P. 1950. Use of acid, rose bengal and streptomycin in the plate method for estimating soil fungi. Soil Sci. 69:215-232. https://doi.org/10.1097/00010694-195003000-00006
- NIAST. 2006. Fertilization standard of crop analysis. National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology. RDA. Suweon. Korea
- NIAST. 2012. Monitoring project on agro-environmental quality. National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology. DRA. Suweon, Korea.
- Nosalewicz, A. and M. Nosalewicz. 2011. Effect of soil compaction on dehydrogenase activity in bulk soil and rhizosphere. Int. Agrophys. 25:47-51.
- Omar, S.A., M.A. Abdel-Sater, A.M. Khallil and M.H. Abdalla. 1994. Growth and enzyme activities of fungi and bacteria in soil salinized with sodium chloride. Folia Microbiol. 39:23-28. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02814524
- Pankhursy, C.E., S. Yu, B.G. Hawke and B.D. Harch. 2001. Capacity of fatty acid profiles and substrate utilization patterns to describe differences in soil microbial communities associated with increased salinity or alkalinity at three locations in South Australia. Biol. Fert. Soil 33:240-217.
- Quilchano, C. and T. Maranon. 2002. Dehydrogenase activity in Mediterranean forest soils. Biol. Fert. Soils 35:102-107. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00374-002-0446-8
- Rahman, M.H., A. Okubo, S. Sugiyama and H.F. Mayland. 2008. Physical, chemical and microbiological properties of an andisol as related to land use and tillage practice. Soil Till. Res. 101:10-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.still.2008.05.006
- Rossel, D., J. Taradellas, G. Bitton and J. Morel. 1997. Use of enzymes in soil ecotoxicology: A case for dehydrogenase and hydrolytic enzymes, p. 179-206. In: J. Taradellas, G. Bitton, D. Rossel (ed.) Soil Ecotoxicology. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA.
- RDA (Rural Development Administration). 2000. Method of soil and plant analysis. National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology. Sueon. Korea.
- Sardans, J., J. Penuelas and M. Estiarte. 2008. Changes in soil enzymes related to C and N cycle and in soil C and N content under prolonged warming and drought in a Mediterranean shrubland. Appl. Soil Ecol. 39:223-235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsoil.2007.12.011
- Sebiomo, A., V.W. Ogundero and S.A. Bankole. 2011. Effect of four herbicides on microbial population, soil organic matter and dehydrogenase activity. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 10: 770-778.
- Suh, J.S. and J.S. Shin. 1997. Soil microbial diversity of paddy fields in Korea. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 30:200-207
- Suh, J.S. 1998. Soil Microbiology. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 31(S):76-89.
- Suh, J.S., H.J. Noh, J.S. Kwon, H.Y. Weon and S.Y. Hong. 2010. Distribution map of microbial diversity in agricultural land. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 43:995-1001.
Timothy, R.K. and R.P. Dick. 2004. Differentiating microbial and stabilized
$\beta$-Glucosidase activity relative to soil quality. Soil Biol. Biochem. 36:2089-2096. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2004.06.007
- Wang, L.W., A.M. Showalter and I.A. Ungar. 1997. Effect of salinity on growth, ion content and cell wall chemistry in Atriplex prostrata (Chenopodiaceae). Am. J. Botany 84:1247-1255. https://doi.org/10.2307/2446049
- Wellington, E.M.H. and T. Cross. 1983. Taxonomy of antibiotic producing Actinomycetes and new approaches to their selective isolation. In: "Progress in industrial microbiology?" Bushell, M. E. (eds.). Elsevier, Amsterdam. pp. 36.
- Yao, H., Z. He, M.J. Wilson and C.D. Campbell. 2000. Microbial biomass and community structure in a sequence of soils with increasing fertility and changing land use. Microb. Ecol. 40:223-237.
- Microbial Differentiation on Chemical Properties of Paddy Soils in Reclaimed Tidal Lands at Western-coast Area of Korea vol.49, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2016.49.4.381