- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Polyphenolic Contents and Antioxidant Activities of Underutilized Grape (Vitis vinifera L.) Pomace Extracts
- Kabir, Faisal (Department of General Animal Science and Animal Nutrition, Patuakhali Science and Technology University) ;
- Sultana, Mosammad Shahin (Department of Agricultural Economics, Bangladesh Agricultural University) ;
- Kurnianta, Heri (Department of Bioscience and Food Production Science, Shinshu University)
- Received : 2015.03.25
- Accepted : 2015.07.30
- Published : 2015.09.30
Grape pomace is an abundant source of underutilized winery by-products. Polyphenols were extracted from grape pomace using cellulase and gluco-amylase enzymes. 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) and Folin-Ciocalteu's assays were used to measure antioxidant activity and total polyphenolic contents. Both cellulase, and gluco-amylase digested grape pomace showed efficient radical scavenging activity. In addition, the total polyphenolic contents of cellulase digested grape pomace showed lower concentrations were effective compared to higher concentrations, whereas glucoamylase enzyme did not show remarkable variations. The DPPH radical scavenging activity and total polyphenolic contents were significantly higher in the cellulase digested grape pomace compared to the gluco-amylase digested and the not digested grape pomace. It is notable that enzymatic digestions were efficient for extracting polyphenols from grape pomace. The underutilized grape pomace polyphenols can be further used for food safety as a natural antioxidant.
- Schieber A, Stintzing FC, Carle R. 2001. By-products of plant food processing as a source of functional compounds-recent developments. Trends Food Sci Technol 12: 401-413. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-2244(02)00012-2
- Mazza G, Miniati E. 1993. Grapes. In Anthocyanins in Fruits, Vegetables and Grains. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA. p 149-199.
- Jayaprakasha GK, Singh RP, Sakariah KK. 2001. Antioxidant activity of grape seed (Vitis vinifera) extracts on peroxidation models in vitro. Food Chem 73: 285-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(00)00298-3
- Cheynier V, Rigaud J. 1986. HPLC separation and characterization of flavonols in the skins of Vitis vinifera var. Cinsault. Am J Enol Vitic 37: 248-252.
- Kammerer D, Claus A, Carle R, Schieber A. 2004. Polyphenol screening of pomace from red and white grape varieties (Vitis vinifera L.) by HPLC-DAD-MS/MS. J Agric Food Chem 52: 4360-4367. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf049613b
- Cho MJ, Howard LR, Prior RL, Clark JR. 2004. Flavonoid glycosides and antioxidant capacity of various blackberry, blueberry and red grape genotypes determined by highperformance liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry. J Sci Food Agric 84: 1771-1782. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.1885
- Pokorny J. 2001. Introduction. In Antioxidants in Food: Practical Applications. Pokorny J, Yanishlieva N, Gordon MH, eds. Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, England. p 1-3.
- Frankel EN, Waterhouse AI, Teissedre PL. 1995. Principal phenolic phytochemicals in selected California wines and their antioxidant activity in inhibiting oxidation of human low-density lipoproteins. J Agric Food Chem 43: 890-894. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00052a008
- Yanishlieva-Maslarova NV. 2001. Inhibiting oxidation. In Antioxidants in Food: Practical Applications. Pokorny J, Yanishlieva N, Gordon MH, eds. Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, England. p 22-70.
- Kahkonen MP, Hopia AI, Vuorela HJ, Rauha JP, Pihlaja K, Kujala TS, Heinonen M. 1999. Antioxidant activity of plant extracts containing phenolic compounds. J Agric Food Chem 47: 3954-3962. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf990146l
- Asami DK, Hong YJ, Barrett DM, Mitchell AE. 2003. Comparison of the total phenolic and ascorbic acid content of freeze-dried and air-dried marionberry, strawberry, and corn grown using conventional, organic, and sustainable agricultural practices. J Agric Food Chem 51: 1237-1241. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf020635c
- Waterhouse AL, Walzem RL. 1998. Nutrition of grape phenolics. In Flavonoids in Health and Disease. Rice-Evans CA, Packer L, eds. Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, NY, USA. p 359-385.
- Fuhrman B, Volkova N, Suraski A, Aviram M. 2001. White wine with red wine-like properties: increased extraction of grape skin polyphenols improves the antioxidant capacity of the derived white wine. J Agric Food Chem 49: 3164-3168. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf001378j
- Landbo AK, Meyer AS. 2001. Enzyme-assisted extraction of antioxidative phenols from black currant juice press residues (Ribes nigrum). J Agric Food Chem 49: 3169-3177. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf001443p
- Franco D, Sineiro J, Rubilar M, Sanchez M, Jerez M, Pinelo M, Costoya N, Nunez MJ. 2008. Polyphenols from plant materials: extraction and antioxidant power. Electron J Environ Agric Food Chem 7: 3210-3216.
- Singleton VL, Orthofer R, Lamuela-Raventos RM. 1999. Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of Folin-Ciocalteu reagent. Methods Enzymol 299: 152-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(99)99017-1
- Yu L, Haley S, Perret J, Harris M, Wilson J, Qian M. 2002. Free radical scavenging properties of wheat extracts. J Agric Food Chem 50: 1619-1624. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf010964p
- Chidambara Murthy KN, Singh RP, Jayaprakasha GK. 2002. Antioxidant activities of grape (Vitis vinifera) pomace extracts. J Agric Food Chem 50: 5909-5914. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0257042
- Hogan S, Zhang L, Li J, Sun S, Canning C, Zhou K. 2010. Antioxidant rich grape pomace extract suppresses postprandial hyperglycemia in diabetic mice by specifically inhibiting alpha-glucosidase. Nutr Metabol 7: 71. https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-7075-7-71
- Obreque-Slier E, Pena-Neira A, Lopez-Solis R, Zamora-Marin F, Ricardo-da Silva JM, Laureano O. 2010. Comparative study of the phenolic composition of seeds and skins from Carmenere and Cabernet Sauvignon grape varieties (Vitis vinifera L.) during ripening. J Agric Food Chem 58: 3591-3599. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf904314u
- Rockenbach II, Gonzaga LV, Rizelio VM, de Souza Schmidt Goncalves AE, Genovese MI, Fett R. 2011. Phenolic compounds and antioxidant activity of seed and skin extracts of red grape (Vitis vinifera and Vitis labrusca) pomace from Brazilian winemaking. Food Res Int 44: 897-901. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2011.01.049
- Sehm J, Lindermayer H, Dummer C, Treutter D, Pfaffl MW. 2007. The influence of polyphenol rich apple pomace or red-wine pomace diet on the gut morphology in weaning piglets. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl) 91: 289-296. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2006.00650.x
- Gonzalez-Paramas AM, Esteban-Ruano S, Santos-Buelga C, de Pascual-Teresa S, Rivas-Gonzalo JC. 2004. Flavanol content and antioxidant activity in winery byproducts. J Agric Food Chem 52: 234-238. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0348727
- Lafka TI, Sinanoglou V, Lazos ES. 2007. On the extraction and antioxidant activity of phenolic compounds from winery wastes. Food Chem 104: 1206-1214. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.01.068