- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Physicochemical and Sensory Characteristics of Sponge Cakes with Rubus coreanus Powder
- Lee, Jun Ho (Department of Food Science and Engineering, Daegu University)
- Received : 2015.05.15
- Accepted : 2015.08.29
- Published : 2015.09.30
To develop new type of sponge cake, the effects of partial (0~40%) replacement with Rubus coreanus powder (RCP) on the quality characteristics of sponge cakes were investigated. The pH level and moisture content ranged from 4.05~8.23 and 28.49~36.59, respectively, and significantly decreased upon addition of RCP (P<0.05). Baking loss rate and cake firmness significantly increased with higher RCP content in the formulation, whereas morphological characteristics of cakes such as height, volume, and symmetry indices significantly decreased (P<0.05). For crumb color values,
Rubus coreanus powder;sponge cake;physicochemical properties;consumer acceptance
- Chaiya B, Pongsawatmanit R. 2011. Quality of batter and sponge cake prepared from wheat-tapioca flour blends. Kasetsart J (Nat Sci) 45: 305-313.
- Conforti FD. 2006. Cake manufacture. In Bakery Products: Science and Technology. Hui YH, ed. Blackwell Publishing, Ames, IA, USA. p 393-410.
- Gomez M, Oliete B, Rosell CM, Pando V, Fernández E. 2008. Studies on cake quality made of wheat-chickpea flour blends. LWT-Food Sci Technol 41: 1701-1709. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2007.11.024
- Lee HJ. 2010. Evaluation of the quality characteristics of sponge cake containing mugwort powder. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 20: 95-102.
- Chinma CE, Abu JO, Abubakar YA. 2010. Effect of tigernut (Cyperus esculentus) flour addition on the quality of wheatbased cake. Int J Food Sci Technol 45: 1746-1752. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2010.02334.x
- Gomez M, Doyague MJ, de la Hera E. 2012. Addition of pin-milled pea flour and air-classified fractions in layer and sponge cakes. LWT-Food Sci Technol 46: 142-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2011.10.014
- Kim JH, Lee HJ, Lee HS, Lim EJ, Imm JY, Suh HJ. 2012. Physical and sensory characteristics of fibre-enriched sponge cakes made with Opuntia humifusa. LWT-Food Sci Technol 47: 478-484. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2012.02.011
- Bakare HA, Osundahunsi OF, Adegunwa MO, Olusanya JO. 2013. Batter rheology, baking, and sensory qualities of cake from blends of breadfruit and wheat flours. J Culinary Sci Technol 11: 203-221. https://doi.org/10.1080/15428052.2013.769866
- Shin TY, Shin HY, Kim SH, Kim DK, Chae BS, Oh CH, Cho MG, Oh SH, Kim JH, Lee TK, Park JS. 2006. Rubus coreanus unripe fruits inhibits immediate-type allergic reaction and inflammatory cytokine secretion. Nat Prod Sci 12: 144-149.
- Shin TY, Kim SH, Lee ES, Eom DO, Kim HM. 2002. Action of Rubus coreanus extract on systemic and local anaphylaxis. Phytother Res 16: 508-513. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.925
- Kim EJ, Lee YJ, Shin HK, Park Yoon JH. 2005. Induction of apoptosis by the aqueous extract of Rubus coreanum in HT-29 human colon cancer cells. Nutrition 21: 1141-1148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2005.02.012
- Chae HJ, Yim JE, Kim KA, Chyun JH. 2014. Hepatoprotective effects of Rubus coreanus Miquel concentrates on liver injuries induced by carbon tetrachloride in rats. Nutr Res Pract 8: 40-45. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2014.8.1.40
- Erdemoglu N, Kupeli E, Yesilada E. 2003. Anti-inflammatory and antinociceptive activity assessment of plants used as remedy in Turkish folk medicine. J Ethnopharmacol 89: 123-129. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-8741(03)00282-4
- Nam JH, Jung HJ, Choi J, Lee KT, Park HJ. 2006. The antigastropathic and anti-rheumatic effect of niga-ichigoside F1 and 23-hydroxytormentic acid isolated from the unripe fruits of Rubus coreanus in a rat model. Biol Pharm Bull 29: 967-970. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.29.967
- Kim Y, Kim J, Lee SM, Lee HA, Park S, Kim Y, Kim JH. 2012. Chemopreventive effects of Rubus coreanus Miquel on prostate cancer. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 76: 737-744. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.110857
- Cha HS, Park MS, Park KM. 2001. Physiological activities of Rubus coreanus Miquel. Korean J Food Sci Technol 33: 409-415.
- Yoon I, Wee JH, Moon JH, Ahn TH, Park KH. 2003. Isolation and identification of quercetin with antioxidative activity from the fruits of Rubus coreanum Miquel. Korean J Food Sci Technol 35: 499-502.
- Cho YJ, Chun SS, Kwon HJ, Kim JH, Yoon SJ, Lee KH. 2005. Comparison of physiological activities between hot-water and ethanol extracts of Bokbunja (Rubus coreanum F.). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34: 790-796. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.6.790
- Yin Y, Wang MH. 2011. Biological activities of water and ethanol extracts from two varieties of Rubus coreanus Miquel fruits. J Food Sci Nutr 16: 89-94. https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2011.16.1.089
- Kwon SC, Kim YB. 2011. Antioxidative and aldose reductase-inhibitory effects of a fermentation filtrate of Rubus coreanus. Lab Anim Res 27: 365-368. https://doi.org/10.5625/lar.2011.27.4.365
- Lu TM, Lee CC, Mau JL, Lin SD. 2010. Quality and antioxidant property of green tea sponge cake. Food Chem 119: 1090-1095. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.08.015
- Gallagher E, Gormley TR, Arendt EK. 2004. Recent advances in the formulation of gluten-free cereal-based products. Trends Food Sci Technol 15: 143-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2003.09.012
- Sciarini L, Ribotta P, Leon A, Perez G. 2010. Influence of gluten-free flours and their mixtures on batter properties and bread quality. Food Bioprocess Technol 3: 577-585. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11947-008-0098-2
- AACC International. 2000. Approved methods of the American Association of Cereal Chemists. 10th ed. American Association of Cereal Chemists, St. Paul, MN, USA. Method 44-19.01.
- AACC International. 2010. Approved methods of the American Association of Cereal Chemists. 11th ed. American Association of Cereal Chemists, St. Paul, MN, USA. Method 10-91.
- Ko DY, Hong HY. 2011. Quality characteristics of muffins containing bokbunja (Rubus coreus Miquel) powder. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 21: 863-870.
- Choi JJ, Seo BH. 2012. A study on quality characteristics of Jeungpyeon with added Rubus coreanus Miquel. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 22: 52-61.
- Sung KH, Chung CH. 2012. Physicochemical component and quality characteristics of eel sauce added with bokbunja (Rubus coreanus Miquel) powder. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 22: 634-641.
- Lee SE, Lee JH. 2013. Quality and antioxidant properties of sponge cakes incorporated with pine leaf powder. Korean J Food Sci Technol 45: 53-58. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2013.45.1.53
- Lee S, Lee JH. 2013. Quality of sponge cakes supplemented with cinnamon. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42: 650-654. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.4.650
- Lee JH, Son SM. 2011. Quality of sponge cakes incorporated with yacon powder. Food Eng Prog 15: 269-275.
- Pomeranz Y, Shogren MD, Finney KF, Bechtel DB. 1997. Fiber in breadmaking-Effects on functional properties. Cereal Chem 54: 25-41.
- Ji JL, Jeong HC. 2013. Quality characteristics of pound cake with added Rubus coreanus Miquel concentrate. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 23: 341-348.
- Paraskevopoulou A, Donsouzi S, Nikiforidis CV, Kiosseoglou V. 2015. Quality characteristics of egg-reduced pound cakes following WPI and emulsifier incorporation. Food Res Int 69: 72-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2014.12.018
- Ashwini A, Jyotsna R, Indrani D. 2009. Effect of hydrocolloids and emulsifiers on the rheological, microstructural and quality characteristics of eggless cake. Food Hydrocolloid 23: 700-707. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2008.06.002
- Park JS, Lee YJ, Chun SS. 2010. Quality characteristics of sponge cake added with banana powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 1509-1515. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.10.1509
- de la Hera E, Ruiz-Paris E, Oliete B, Gomez M. 2012. Studies of the quality of cakes made with wheat-lentil composite flours. LWT-Food Sci Technol 49: 48-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2012.05.009
- Chesterton AKS, Wilson DI, Sadd PA, Moggridge GD. 2015. A novel laboratory scale method for studying heat treatment of cake flour. J Food Eng 144: 36-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2014.07.011
- Gomez M, Ruiz-Paris E, Oliete B, Pando V. 2010. Modeling of texture evolution of cakes during storage. J Texture Stud 41: 17-33. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4603.2009.00210.x
- Willhoft EMA. 1973. Mechanism and theory of staling of bread and baked goods, and associated changes in textural properties. J Texture Stud 4: 292-322. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4603.1973.tb00844.x
- Gomez M, Moraleja A, Oliete B, Ruiz E, Caballero PA. 2010. Effect of fibre size on the quality of fibre-enriched layer cakes. LWT-Food Sci Technol 43: 33-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2009.06.026
- Gomez M, Manchon L, Oliete B, Ruiz E, Caballero PA. 2010. Adequacy of wholegrain non-wheat flours for layer cake elaboration. LWT-Food Sci Technol 43: 507-513. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2009.09.019
- Aquafaba, wastewater from chickpea canning, functions as an egg replacer in sponge cake vol.53, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.13813
- Physicochemical, antioxidant and sensory characteristics of sponge cakes fortified with Clitoria ternatea extract vol.55, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-018-3204-0