- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Low Nourishment of Vitamin C Induces Glutathione Depletion and Oxidative Stress in Healthy Young Adults
- Waly, Mostafa I. (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, College of Agricultural and Marine Sciences, Sultan Qaboos University) ;
- Al-Attabi, Zahir (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, College of Agricultural and Marine Sciences, Sultan Qaboos University) ;
- Guizani, Nejib (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, College of Agricultural and Marine Sciences, Sultan Qaboos University)
- Received : 2015.04.13
- Accepted : 2015.08.18
- Published : 2015.09.30
The present study was conducted to assess the status of vitamin C among healthy young adults in relation to serum antioxidant parameters [glutathione (GSH), thiols, and total antioxidant capacity, (TAC)], and oxidative stress markers [malondialdehyde (MDA), and nitrites plus nitrates (NN)]. A prospective study included 200 young adults, and their dietary intake was assessed by using food diaries. Fasting plasma vitamin C, serum levels of GSH, thiols, TAC, MDA, and NN were measured using biochemical assays. It was observed that 38% of the enrolled subjects, n=76, had an adequate dietary intake of vitamin C (ADI group). Meanwhile, 62%, n=124, had a low dietary intake of vitamin C (LDI group) as compared to the recommended dietary allowances. The fasting plasma level of vitamin C was significantly higher in the ADI group as compared to the LDI group. Oxidative stress in the sera of the LDI group was evidenced by depletion of GSH, low thiols levels, impairment of TAC, an elevation of MDA, and increased NN. In the ADI group, positive correlations were found between plasma vitamin C and serum antioxidant parameters (GSH, thiols, and TAC). Meanwhile, the plasma vitamin C was negatively correlated with serum MDA and NN levels. This study reveals a significant increase of oxidative stress status and reduced antioxidant capacity in sera from healthy young adults with low intake of the dietary antioxidant, vitamin C.
vitamin C;oxidative stress;young adults;non-communicable diseases
- Soldati L, Kerkadi A, Amuna P, Terranegra A. 2015. State of art and science advances on nutrition and nutrigenetics in nutrition-related non-communicable diseases in Middle East. J Transl Med 13: 40. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12967-015-0390-7
- Montero J, Mari M, Colell A, Morales A, Basanez G, Garcia-Ruiz C, Fernandez-Checa JC. 2010. Cholesterol and peroxidized cardiolipin in mitochondrial membrane properties, permeabilization and cell death. Biochim Biophys Acta 1797: 1217-1224. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbabio.2010.02.010
- Cooke MS, Evans MD, Podmore ID, Herbert KE, Mistry N, Mistry P, Hickenbotham PT, Hussieni A, Griffiths HR, Lunec J. 1998. Novel repair action of vitamin C upon in vivo oxidative DNA damage. FEBS Lett 439: 363-367. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-5793(98)01403-3
- Kiondo P, Wamuyu-Maina G, Wandabwa J, Bimenya GS, Tumwesigye NM, Okong P. 2014. The effects of vitamin C supplementation on pre-eclampsia in Mulago Hospital, Kampala, Uganda: a randomized placebo controlled clinical trial. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 14: 283-288. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2393-14-283
- Wu CM, Cheng YL, Dai YH, Chen MF, Wang CC. 2014. -Tocopherol protects keratinocytes against ultraviolet A irradiation by suppressing glutathione depletion, lipid peroxidation and reactive oxygen species generation. Biomed Rep 2: 419-423. https://doi.org/10.3892/br.2014.236
- Marty L, Siala W, Schwarzlander M, Fricker MD, Wirtz M, Sweetlove LJ, Meyer Y, Meyer AJ, Reichheld JP, Hell R. 2009. The NADPH-dependent thioredoxin system constitutes a functional backup for cytosolic glutathione reductase in Arabidopsis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 106: 9109-9114. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0900206106
- Wong HS, Chen JH, Leong PK, Leung HY, Chan WM, Ko KM. 2014. -Sitosterol protects against carbon tetrachloride hepatotoxicity but not gentamicin nephrotoxicity in rats via the induction of mitochondrial glutathione redox cycling. Molecules 19: 17649-17662. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules191117649
- Ma M, Chen XY, Gu C, Xiao XR, Guo T, Li B. 2014. Biochemical changes of oxidative stress in premature ovarian insufficiency induced by tripterygium glycosides. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 7: 8855-8861.
- Aschoff JK, Kaufmann S, Kalkan O, Neidhart S, Carle R, Schweiggert RM. 2015. In vitro bioaccessibility of carotenoids, flavonoids, and vitamin C from differently processed oranges and orange juices [Citrus sinensis (L.) Osbeck]. J Agric Food Chem 63: 578-587. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf505297t
- Hu Y, Liu C, Hao Q, Zhang Q, He Y. 2013. Building kinetic models for determining vitamin C content in fresh jujube and predicting its shelf life based on near-infrared spectroscopy. Sensors 13: 15673-15681. https://doi.org/10.3390/s131115673
- Kayan M, Naziroglu M, Barak C. 2010. Effects of vitamins C and E combination on element levels in blood of smoker and nonsmoker radiology X-ray technicians. Biol Trace Elem Res 136: 140-148. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12011-009-8528-1
- Kayan M, Naziroglu M, Celik O, Yalman K, Koylu H. 2009. Vitamin C and E combination modulates oxidative stress induced by X-ray in blood of smoker and nonsmoker radiology technicians. Cell Biochem Funct 27: 424-439. https://doi.org/10.1002/cbf.1589
- Nogueira JL, Saunders C, Leal Mdo C. 2015. Anthropometric methods used in the evaluation of the postpartum weight retention: a systematic review. Cien Saude Colet 20: 407-420. https://doi.org/10.1590/1413-81232015202.08112013
- Kilani H, Al-Hazzaa H, Waly MI, Musaiger A. 2013. Lifestyle habits: diet, physical activity and sleep duration among Omani adolescents. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J 13: 510-519. https://doi.org/10.12816/0003309
- Guclu K, Ozyurek M, Gungor N, Baki S, Apak R. 2013. Selective optical sensing of biothiols with Ellman's reagent: 5,5'-dithio-bis(2-nitrobenzoic acid)-modified gold nanoparticles. Anal Chim Acta 794: 90-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2013.07.041
- Institute of Medicine. 2000. Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Selenium, and Carotenoids. National Academies Press, Washington, DC, USA. p 95-325.
- Hill AG, Muyeed AZ, al-Lawati JA. 2000. The Mortality and Health Transitions in Oman: Patterns and Processes. WHO Regional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean and UNICEF. Muscat, Oman. p 33-39.
- Zujko ME, Witkowska AM, Gorska M, Wilk J, Kretowski A. 2014. Reduced intake of dietary antioxidants can impair antioxidant status in type 2 diabetes patients. Pol Arch Med Wewn 124: 599-607.
- Ramezanipour M, Jalali M, Sadrzade-Yeganeh H, Keshavarz SA, Eshraghian MR, Bagheri M, Emami SS. 2014. The effect of weight reduction on antioxidant enzymes and their association with dietary intake of vitamins A, C and E. Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol 58: 744-749. https://doi.org/10.1590/0004-2730000003206
- Ken CF, Huang CY, Wen L, Huang JK, Lin CT. 2014. Modulation of nitrosative stress via glutathione-dependent formaldehyde dehydrogenase and S-nitrosoglutathione reductase. Int J Mol Sci 15: 14166-14179. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms150814166
- Montecinos V, Guzman P, Barra V, Villagran M, Munoz- Montesino C, Sotomayor K, Escobar E, Godoy A, Mardones L, Sotomayor P, Guzman C, Vasquez O, Gallardo V, van Zundert B, Bono MR, Onate SA, Bustamante M, Cárcamo JG, Rivas CI, Vera JC. 2007. Vitamin C is an essential antioxidant that enhances survival of oxidatively stressed human vascular endothelial cells in the presence of a vast molar excess of glutathione. J Biol Chem 282: 15506-15515. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M608361200
- Du ZX, Zhang HY, Meng X, Guan Y, Wang HQ. 2009. Role of oxidative stress and intracellular glutathione in the sensitivity to apoptosis induced by proteasome inhibitor in thyroid cancer cells. BMC Cancer 9: 56. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-9-56
- Yang WJ, Yuan GR, Cong L, Xie YF, Wang JJ. 2014. De novo cloning and annotation of genes associated with immunity, detoxification and energy metabolism from the fat body of the oriental fruit fly, Bactrocera dorsalis. PLoS One 9: e94470. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0094470
- Madhikarmi NL, Murthy KR. 2014. Antioxidant enzymes and oxidative stress in the erythrocytes of iron deficiency anemic patients supplemented with vitamins. Iran Biomed J 18: 82-87.
- Oliveira KF, Cunha DF, Weffort VR. 2011. Analysis of serum and supplemented vitamin C and oxidative stress in HIVinfected children and adolescents. J Pediatr (Rio J) 87: 517-522.
- Kang M, Kim DW, Baek YJ, Moon SH, Jung HJ, Song YJ, Paik HY. 2014. Dietary supplement use and its effect on nutrient intake in Korean adult population in the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey IV (2007-2009) data. Eur J Clin Nutr 68: 804-810. https://doi.org/10.1038/ejcn.2014.77
- Does Vitamin C Influence Neurodegenerative Diseases and Psychiatric Disorders? vol.9, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu9070659
- Análisis de fiabilidad y validez de tres cuestionarios de autoinforme para valorar la actividad física realizada por adolescentes españoles vol.30, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaceta.2016.04.009