- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Acute and Subacute Oral Toxicity Evaluation of Crude Antifungal Compounds Produced by Lactobacillus plantarum HD1 in Rats
- Son, Hee-Kyoung (Department of Food and Nutrition, Chosun University) ;
- Chang, Hae-Choon (Department of Food and Nutrition, Chosun University) ;
- Lee, Jae-Joon (Department of Food and Nutrition, Chosun University)
- Received : 2015.06.02
- Accepted : 2015.09.17
- Published : 2015.09.30
The aim of this study was to investigate the acute and subacute oral toxicity of crude antifungal compounds produced by Lactobacillus plantarum HD1 in Sprague-Dawley rats. In the acute toxicity study, the crude antifungal compounds (0.625, 1.25, 2.5, and 5.0 g/kg) did not produce mortality, significant changes in general behavior, or changes in the gross appearance of the organs. In the subacute toxicity study, the crude antifungal compounds were administered orally to rats at doses of 0, 0.5, 1.0, and 2.0 g/kg daily for 28 days. There were no test article-related deaths, abnormal clinical signs, or body weight changes. The study also showed no significant differences between the control and treated groups in hematological and serum biochemical parameters, histopathological examination, or any other findings. These results suggest that acute or subacute oral administration of crude antifungal compounds from L. plantarum HD1 is not toxic in rats.
Lactobacillus plantarum HD1;crude antifungal compounds;acute toxicity;subacute toxicity
Supported by : Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
- Schilter B, Andersson C, Anton R, Constable A, Kleiner J, O'Brien J, Renwick AG, Korver O, Smit F, Walker R; Natural Toxin Task Force of the European Branch of the International Life Sciences Institute. 2003. Guidance on Safety assessment of botanicals and botanical preparations intended for use as ingredients in food supplements. Food Chem Toxicol 41: 1625-1649. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-6915(03)00221-7
- Dalie DKD, Deschamps AM, Richard-Forget F. 2010. Lactic acid bacteria-potential for control of mould growth and mycotoxins: a review. Food Control 21: 370-380. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2009.07.011
- Voulgari K, Hatzikamari M, Delepoglou A, Georgakopoulos P, Litopoulou-Tzanetaki E, Tzanetakis N. 2010. Antifungal activity of non-starter lactic acid bacteria isolates from dairy products. Food Control 21: 136-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2009.04.007
- Yang EJ, Chang HC. 2010. Purification of a new antifungal compound produced by Lactobacillus plantarum AF1 isolated from kimchi. Int J Food Microbiol 139: 56-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2010.02.012
- Brul S, Coote P. 1999. Preservative agents in foods: mode of action and microbial resistance mechanisms. Int J Food Microbiol 50: 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(99)00072-0
- Stiles ME. 1996. Biopreservation by lactic acid bacteria. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 70: 331-345. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00395940
- Yang EJ, Chang HC. 2008. Antifungal activity of Lactobacillus plantarum isolated from kimchi. Kor J Microbiol Biotechnol 36: 276-284.
- Ryu EH, Yang EJ, Woo ER, Chang HC. 2014. Purification and characterization of antifungal compounds from Lactobacillus plantarum HD1 isolated from kimchi. Food Microbiol 41: 19-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2014.01.011
- Cheong EYL, Sandhu A, Jayabalan J, Kieu Le TT, Nhiep NT, My Ho HT, Zwielehner J, Bansal N, Turner MS. 2014. Isolation of lactic acid bacteria with antifungal activity against the common cheese spoilage mould Penicillium commune and their potential as biopreservatives in cheese. Food Control 46: 91-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2014.05.011
- Crowley S, Mahony J, van Sinderen D. 2013. Current perspectives on antifungal lactic acid bacteria as natural biopreservatives. Trends Food Sci Technol 33: 93-109. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2013.07.004
- Huang Y, Kotula L, Adams MC. 2003. The in vivo assessment of safety and gastrointestinal survival of an orally administered novel probiotic, Propionibacterium jensenii 702, in a male Wistar rat model. Food Chem Toxicol 41: 1781-1787. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-6915(03)00215-1
- Shu Q, Zhou JS, Rutherfurd KJ, Birtles MJ, Prasad J, Gopal PK, Gill HS. 1999. Probiotic lactic acid bacteria (Lactobacillus acidophilus HN017, Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001 and Bifidobacterium lactis HN019) have no adverse effects on the health of mice. Int Dairy J 9: 831-836. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0958-6946(99)00154-5
- Lee H, Lee JJ, Chang HC, Lee MY. 2012. Acute toxicity of Lactobacillus plantarum AF1 isolated from kimchi in mice. Korean J Food Preserv 19: 315-321. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2012.19.2.315
- Lee JJ, Kim AR, Chang HC, Lee MY. 2012. Repeated-dose oral toxicity study of Lactobacillus plantarum AF1 isolated from kimchi in rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 612-620. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.5.612
- Son HK, Lee MY, Chang HC, Lee JJ. 2013. Acute toxicity of crude anti-fungal compounds produced by Lactobacillus plantarum AF1. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42: 892-897. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.6.892
- Lee H, Lee MY, Chang HC, Lee JJ. 2013. Repeated-dose oral toxicity study of crude antifungal compounds produced by Lactobacillus plantarum AF1 in rats. Korean J Food Preserv 20: 394-403. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2013.20.3.394
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. 2001. Test No. 420: Acute oral toxicity-fixed dose procedure. In OECD Guidelines for the Testing of Chemicals, Section 4: Health Effects. OECD publishing, Paris, France.
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. 2001. Preliminary draft updated test guideline 407: repeated dose 28-day oral toxicity study in rodents; updated with parameters for endocrine effects. In OECD Guidelines for the Testing of Chemicals, Section 4: Health Effects. OECD publishing, Paris, France.
- Twaij HA, Kery A, Al-Khazraji NK. 1983. Some pharmacological, toxicological and phytochemical investigations on Centaurea phyllocephala. J Ethnopharmacol 9: 299-314. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-8741(83)90037-5
- Litchfield JT Jr, Wilcoxon F. 1949. A simplified method of evaluating dose-effect experiments. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 96: 99-113.
- Singh A, Dubey SD, Patney S, Kumar V. 2010. Acute and subchronic toxicity study of calcium based Ayurvedic 'Bhasmas' and a 'Pishti' prepared from marine animals. J Herb Med Toxicol 4: 35-47.
- Kennedy GL Jr, Ferenz RL, Burgess BA. 1986. Estimation of acute oral toxicity in rats by determination of the approximate lethal dose rather than the LD50. J Appl Toxicol 6: 145-148.
- Waynforth HB, Flecknell PA. 1980. Vital statistics and miscellaneous information: Organ weights. In Experimental and Surgical Technique in the Rat. 2nd ed. Academic Press, London, UK. p 346.
- El Hilaly J, Israili ZH, Lyoussi B. 2004. Acute and chronic toxicological studies of Ajuga iva in experimental animals. J Ethnopharmacol 91: 43-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2003.11.009
- Li X, Luo Y, Wang L, Li Y, Shi Y, Cui Y, Xue M. 2010. Acute and subacute toxicity of ethanol extracts from Salvia przewalskii Maxim in rodents. J Ethnopharmacol 131: 110-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2010.06.012
- Fedlman BV, Schalm OW, Zinkl JG, Jain NC. 2000. Schalm's veterinary hematology. 5th ed. Feldman BV, Zinkl JG, Jain NC, eds. Blackwell Publishing Limited, Oxford, UK. p 1210-1218.
- Olson H, Betton G, Robinson D, Thomas K, Monro A, Kolaja G, Lilly P, Sanders J, Sipes G, Bracken W, Dorato M, Van Deun K, Smith P, Berger B, Heller A. 2000. Concordance of the toxicity of pharmaceuticals in humans and in animals. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 32: 56-67. https://doi.org/10.1006/rtph.2000.1399
- Abdel-Fattah SM, Sanad MI, Safaa MA, Ragaa FFG. 2010. The protective effect of white ginseng against biochemical and pathological changes induced by aflatoxins in rats. J Am Sci 6: 461-472.
- Burger C, Fischer DR, Cordenunzzi DA, de Borba Batschauer AP, Filho VC dos Santos Soares AR. 2005. Acute and subacute toxicity of the hydroalcoholic extract from Wedelia paludosa (Acmela brasiliensis) (Asteraceae) in mice. J Pharm Pharmaceut Sci 8: 370-373.
- Levine BS. 1995. Animal clinical pathology. In Handbook of Toxicology. 2nd ed. Derelanko MJ, Hollinger MA, eds. CRC Press, Inc., New York, NY, USA. p 517-537.
- Raza M, Al-Shabanah OA, El-Hadiyah TM, Al-Majed AA. 2002. Effect of prolonged vigabatrin treatment on hematological and biochemical parameters in plasma, liver and kidney of Swiss albino mice. Sci Pharm 70: 135-145.