- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Fluctuations in Phenolic Content and Antioxidant Capacity of Green Vegetable Juices during Refrigerated Storage
- Kim, Seong Yeong (Nutrition Education, Graduate School of Education, Kyonggi University)
- Received : 2015.06.23
- Accepted : 2015.09.04
- Published : 2015.09.30
Shinseoncho and kale were made into green vegetable juices by building block [shinsenocho branch (SB), shinsenocho leaf (SL), kale branch (KB), and kale leaf (KL)]. Fluctuations in their phenolic contents and antioxidant capacities were analyzed during refrigerated storage at
- Halliwell B. 1997. Antioxidants and human disease: a general introduction. Nutr Rev 55: S44-S52.
- Pietta P, Simonetti P, Mauri P. 1998. Antioxidant activity of selected medicinal plants. J Agric Food Chem 46: 4487-4490. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf980310p
- Giovaneli G, Pagliarini E. 2009. Antioxidant composition of tomato products typically consumed in Italy. Ital J Food Sci 21: 305-316.
- Lichtenthaler R, Marx F. 2005. Total oxidant scavenging capacities of common european fruit and vegetable juices. J Agric Food Chem 53: 103-110. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0307550
- Bub A, Watzl B, Abrahamse L, Delincee H, Adam S, Wever J, Muller H, Rechkemmer G. 2000. Moderate intervention with carotenoid-rich vegetable products reduces lipid peroxidation in men. J Nutr 130: 2200-2206. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/130.9.2200
- Paetau I, Khachik F, Brown ED, Beecher GR, Kramer TR, Chittams J, Clevidence BA. 1998. Chronic ingestion of lycopene- rich tomato juice or lycopene supplements significantly increases plasma concentrations of lycopene and related tomato carotenoids in humans. Am J Clin Nutr 68: 1187-1195. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/68.6.1187
- Watzl B, Bub A, Briviba K, Rechkemmer G. 2003. Supplementation of a low-carotenoid diet with tomato or carrot juice modulates immune functions in healthy men. Ann Nutr Metab 47: 255-261.
- Chung SY, Kim HW, Yoon S. 1999. Analysis of antioxidant nutrients in green yellow vegetable juice. Korean J Food Sci Technol 31: 880-886.
- Cordenunsi BR, Genovese MI, do Nascimento JRO, Hassimotto NMA, dos Santos RJ, Lajolo FM. 2005. Effects of temperature on the chemical composition and antioxidant activity of three strawberry cultivars. Food Chem 91: 113-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.05.054
- Hernandez-Herrero JA, Frutos MJ. 2014. Colour and antioxidant capacity stability in grape, strawberry and plum peel model juices at different pHs and temperatures. Food Chem 154: 199-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.01.007
- Olsen H, Aaby K, Borge GI. 2010. Characterization, quantification, and yearly variation of the naturally occurring polyphenols in a common red variety of curly kale (Brassica oleracea L. convar. acephala var. sabellica cv. 'Redbor'). J Agric Food Chem 58: 11346-11354. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf102131g
- Waterman PG, Mole S. 1994. Analysis of Polyphenolic Plant Metabolites. 1st ed. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, UK. p 83.
- Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice-Evans C. 1999. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radic Biol Med 26: 1231-1237. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00315-3
- Cheung LM, Cheung PCK, Ooi VEC. 2003. Antioxidant activity and total phenolics of edible mushroom extracts. Food Chem 81: 249-255. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(02)00419-3
- Kiefer I, Prock P, Lawrence C, Wise J, Bieger W, Bayer P, Rathmanner T, Kunze M, Rieder A. 2004. Supplementation with mixed fruit and vegetable juice concentrates increased serum antioxidants and folate in healthy adults. J Am Coll Nutr 23: 205-211. https://doi.org/10.1080/07315724.2004.10719362
- Hall CA, Cuppett SL. 1997. Structure-activities of natural antioxidants. In Antioxidant Methodology: In Vivo and in Vitro Concepts. Aruoma OI, Cuppett SL, eds. The American Oil Chemists Society Press, Champaign, IL, USA. p 141-172.
- Mansouri A, Embarek G, Kokkalou E, Kefalas P. 2005. Phenolic profile and antioxidant activity of the Algerian ripe date palm fruit (Phoenix dactylifera). Food Chem 89: 411-420. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.02.051
- Zern TL, Fernandez ML. 2005. Cardioprotective effects of dietary polyphenols. J Nutr 135: 2291-2294. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/135.10.2291
- Zhao B. 2009. Natural antioxidants protect neurons in Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease. Neurochem Res 34: 630-638. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11064-008-9900-9
- Klopotek Y, Otto K, Bohm V. 2005. Processing strawberries to different products alters contents of vitamin C, total phenolics, total anthocyanins, and antioxidant capacity. J Agric Food Chem 53: 5640-5646. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf047947v
- Singleton VL, Orthofer R, Lamuela-Raventos RM. 1999. Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of Folin-Ciocalteu reagent. Methods Enzymol 299C: 152-178.
- Kevers C, Falkowski M, Tabart J, Defraigne JO, Dommes J, Pincemail J. 2007. Evolution of antioxidant capacity during storage of selected fruits and vegetables. J Agric Food Chem 55: 8596-8603. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf071736j
- Leja M, Mareczek A, Ben J. 2003. Antioxidant properties of two apple cultivars during long-term storage. Food Chem 80: 303-307. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(02)00263-7
- Tavarini S, Degl'Innocenti E, Remorini D, Massai R, Guidi L. 2008. Antioxidant capacity, ascorbic acid, total phenols and carotenoids changes during harvest and after storage of Hayward kiwifruit. Food Chem 107: 282-288. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.08.015
- Piljac-Zegarac J, Valek L, Martinez S, Belscak A. 2009. Fluctuations in the phenolic content and antioxidant capacity of dark fruit juices in refrigerated storage. Food Chem 113: 394-400. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.07.048
- Hertog MGL, Hollman PCH, Katan MB. 1992. Content of potentially anticarcinogenic flavonoids of 28 vegetables and 9 fruits commonly consumed in the Netherlands. J Agric Food Chem 40: 2379-2383. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00024a011
- Huang ZL, Wang B, Eaves DH, Shikany JM, Pace RD. 2007. Phenolic compound profile of selected vegetables frequently consumed by African Americans in the southeast United States. Food Chem 103: 1395-1402. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.10.077
- Neugart S, Klaring HP, Zietz M, Schreiner M, Rohn S, Kroh LW, Krumbein A. 2012. The effect of temperature and radiation on flavonol aglycones and flavonol glycosides of kale (Brassica oleracea var. sabellica). Food Chem 133: 1456-1465. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2012.02.034
- Bilger W, Rolland M, Nybakken L. 2007. UV screening in higher plants induced by low temperature in the absence of UV-B radiation. Photochem Photobiol Sci 6: 190-195. https://doi.org/10.1039/b609820g
- Klimov SV, Burakhanova EA, Dubinina IM, Alieva GP, Sal'nikova EB, Olenichenko NA, Zagoskina NV, Trunova TI. 2008. Suppression of the source activity affects carbon distribution and frost hardiness of vegetating winter wheat plants. Russ J Plant Physiol 55: 308-314. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1021443708030035
- Pinelo M, Manzocco L, Nunez MJ, Nicoli MC. 2004. Interaction among phenols in food fortification: negative synergism on antioxidant capacity. J Agric Food Chem 52: 1177-1180. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0350515
- Fernandes F, Ramalhosa E, Pires P, Verdial J, Valentao P, Andrade P, Bento A, Pereira JA. 2013. Vitis vinifera leaves towards bioactivity. Ind Crops Prod 43: 434-440. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2012.07.031
- George S, Brat P, Alter P, Amiot MJ. 2005. Rapid determination of polyphenols and vitamin C in plant-derived products. J Agric Food Chem 53: 1370-1373. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf048396b
- Everette JD, Bryant QM, Green AM, Abbey YA, Wangila GW, Walker RB. 2010. Thorough study of reactivity of various compound classes toward the Folin-Ciocalteu reagent. J Agric Food Chem 58: 8139-8144. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf1005935
- Wu X, Beecher GR, Holden JM, Haytowitz DB, Gebhardt SE, Prior RL. 2004. Lipophilic and hydrophilic antioxidant capacities of common foods in the United States. J Agric Food Chem 52: 4026-4037. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf049696w
- Perez-Jimenez J, Arranz S, Tabernero M, Diaz-Rubio ME, Serrano J, Goni I, Saura-Calixto F. 2008. Updated methodology to determine antioxidant capacity in plant foods, oils and beverages: Extraction, measurement and expression of results. Food Res Int 41: 274-285. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2007.12.004
- Rice-Evans CA, Miller NJ, Paganga G. 1996. Structure-antioxidant activity relationships of flavonoids and phenolic acids. Free Radic Biol Med 20: 933-956. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(95)02227-9
- Sang S, Lapsley K, Jeong WS, Lachance PA, Ho CT, Rosen RT. 2002. Antioxidative phenolic compounds isolated from almond skins (Prunus amygdalus Batsch). J Agric Food Chem 50: 2459-2463. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf011533+
- Gorinstein S, Haruenkit R, Poovarodom S, Vearasilp S, Ruamsuke P, Namiesnik J, Leontowicz M, Leontowicz H, Suhaj M, Sheng GP. 2010. Some analytical assays for the determination of bioactivity of exotic fruits. Phytochem Anal 21: 355-362 https://doi.org/10.1002/pca.1207
- Dudonne S, Vitrac X, Coutiere P, Woillez M, Merillon JM. 2009. Comparative study of antioxidant properties and total phenolic content of 30 plant extracts of industrial interest using DPPH, ABTS, FRAP, SOD, and ORAC assays. J Agric Food Chem 57: 1768-1774. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf803011r
- Floegel A, Kim DO, Chung SJ, Koo SI, Chun OK. 2011. Comparison of ABTS/DPPH assays to measure antioxidant capacity in popular antioxidant-rich US foods. J Food Compos Anal 24: 1043-1048. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2011.01.008
- Perez-Jimenez J, Saura-Calixto F. 2006. Effect of solvent and certain food constituents on different antioxidant capacity assays. Food Res Int 39: 791-800. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2006.02.003
- Kim DO, Lee KW, Lee HJ, Lee CY. 2002. Vitamin C equivalent antioxidant capacity (VCEAC) of phenolic phytochemicals. J Agric Food Chem 50: 3713-3717. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf020071c
- Mixed Beverage of Fruits and Vegetables: Effect of Refrigerated Storage on Antioxidant Capacity and Acceptance pp.1542-8044, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/15428052.2017.1390519