- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Photoprotective Effect of Lotus (Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn.) Seed Tea against UVB Irradiation
- Kim, Su-Yeon (Department of Food and Life Science, Inje University) ;
- Moon, Gap-Soon (Department of Food and Life Science, Inje University)
- Received : 2015.08.17
- Accepted : 2015.09.17
- Published : 2015.09.30
Lotus (Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn.) seed is widely used as a traditional medicine in countries of Asia. Among many functions of the lotus seed, one interesting activity is its skin protection from the sunlight and scar. In this study, we focused on the skin protective property of lotus seed tea against ultraviolet B (UVB) irradiation. Two groups of a hairless mouse model, water as control (water group) and lotus seed tea (LST group), were administrated a fluid drink water for six months. After 6 month of administration, UVB exposure was carried out to both groups for another 3 months. During and after the administration, the skin moisture content and the morphological and histopathological analyses through biopsy were carried out. Prior to UVB irradiation, no significant difference was discovered in the skin moisture content for the water group and LST group (P<0.05). However, drastic changes were observed after the UVB treatment. The LST group showed a clear evidence of skin protection compared to the control group (P<0.05). The moisture content, epidermal and horny layer thickness, and protein carbonyl values all revealed that the intake of the lotus seed tea enhanced protection against UVB exposure. As a result, the long-term intake of the lotus seed tea showed the effect of preventing loss of skin moisture, mitigating the formation of abnormal keratinocytes, and contributing to protein oxidation inhibition.
Supported by : Inje Research Foundation of Inje University
- Bissett DL, Hannon DP, Orr TV. 1987. An animal model of solar-aged skin: histological, physical, and visible changes in UV-irradiated hairless mouse skin. Photochem Photobiol 46: 367-378. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-1097.1987.tb04783.x
- Robinson JK. 1990. Behavior modification obtained by sun protection education coupled with removal of a skin cancer. Arch Dermatol 126: 477-481. https://doi.org/10.1001/archderm.1990.01670280061010
- Punnonen K, Puntala A, Jansen CT, Ahotupa M. 1991. UVB irradiation induces lipid peroxidation and reduces antioxidant enzyme activities in human keratinocytes in vitro. Acta Derm Venereol 71: 239-242.
- Lee MH, Cho YH. 1997. Viability of cultured human keratinocyte and melanocyte after UVB exposure. Korean J Dermatol 35: 258-265.
- Matsumura Y, Ananthaswamy HN. 2004. Toxic effects of ultraviolet radiation on the skin. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 195: 298-308. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.taap.2003.08.019
- Kim J, Hwang JS, Cho YK, Han Y, Jeon YJ, Yang KH. 2001. Protective effects of (-)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate on UVAand UVB-induced skin damage. Skin Pharmacol Appl Skin Physiol 14: 11-19. https://doi.org/10.1159/000056329
- Lee HJ, Kim SR, Kim JS, Moon C, Kim JC, Bae CS, Jang JS, Jo SK, Kim SH. 2006. The effect of red ginseng on ultraviolet B-induced skin damages in mouse. J Ginseng Res 30: 194-198. https://doi.org/10.5142/JGR.2006.30.4.194
- Park SH, Hong Y, Choi YJ, Choi JH, Kim BK. 2008. Antiwrinkle effects of mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris) extracts on UVB-irradiated hairless mouse skin. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 1136-1141. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.9.1136
- Ramachandran S, Rajendra Prasad N, Karthikeyan S. 2010. Sesamol inhibits UVB-induced ROS generation and subsequent oxidative damage in cultured human skin dermal fibroblasts. Arch Dermatol Res 302: 733-744. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00403-010-1072-1
- Sheikh SA. 2014. Ethno-medicinal uses and pharmacological activities of lotus (Nelumbo nucifera). J Med Plants Res 2: 42-46.
- Liu CP, Tsai WJ, Lin YL, Liao JF, Chen CF, Kuo YC. 2004. The extracts from Nelumbo nucifera suppress cell cycle progression, cytokine genes expression, and cell proliferation in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells. Life Sci 75: 699-716. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2004.01.019
- Park JH, Lee BG, Byun GI, Kim DW. 2010. Antioxidant activities and inhibitory effect on oxidative DNA damage of Nelumbinis Semen extracts. Kor J Herbology 25: 55-59.
- Huang B, Zhu L, Liu S, Li D, Chen Y, Ma B, Wang Y. 2013. In vitro and in vivo evaluation of inhibition activity of lotus (Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn.) leaves against ultraviolet B-induced phototoxicity. J Photochem Photobiol B 121: 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2013.02.005
- Yang WM, Kim MH, Chang MS, Park W, Kim WN, Kim SW, Choi DG, Lee HC, Kim YK, Park SK. 2006. Effects of ethanol extract of Nelumbo nucifera leaves on anti-oxidation and type I procollagen expression in CCD-986sk cells. J Korean Oriental Med 14: 67-75.
- Chang MS, Kim HM, Yang WM, Kim DR, Park EH, Ko EB, Choi MJ, Kim HY, Oh JH, Shim KJ, Yoon J, Park SK. 2007. Inhibitory effects of Nelumbo nucifera on tyrosinase activity and melanogenesis in clone M-3 melanocyte cells. Kor J Herbology 22: 87-94.
- Chang MS, Ko EB, Lee HJ, Kim JS, Kim JS, Jee SW, Kim HY, Yeom MH, Kim DH, Kim HK, Park SK. 2011. The effects of Nelumbo nucifera on utraviolet-B irradiated human keratinocytes. Kor J Herbology 26: 45-49.
- Kim T, Kim HJ, Cho SK, Kang WY, Baek H, Jeon HY, Kim BY, Kim D. 2010. Nelumbo nucifera extracts as whitening and antiwrinkle cosmetic agent. Korean J Chem Eng 28: 424-427.
- Oliver CN, Ahn BW, Moerman EJ, Goldstein S, Stadtman ER. 1987. Age-related changes in oxidized proteins. J Biol Chem 262: 5488-5491.
- Kang HJ, Hahm JH. 1993. A study on the hydration function of cutaneous stratum corneum. Korean J Dermatol 31: 890-895.
- Lee SH, Chung J, Ahn SK, Kang JS, Kwon OK. 1994. Comparative measurement of skin surface hydration using a hydrometer and corneometer. Korean J Dermatol 32: 599-608.
- Potts RO, Buras EM Jr, Chrisman DA Jr. 1984. Changes with age in the moisture content of human skin. J Invest Dermatol 82: 97-100. https://doi.org/10.1111/1523-1747.ep12259203
- Huang B, Ban X, He J, Tong J, Tian J, Wang Y. 2010. Hepatoprotective and antioxidant activity of ethanolic extracts of edible lotus (Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn.) leaves. Food Chem 120: 873-878. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.11.020
- Rai S, Wahile A, Mukherjee K, Saha BP, Mukherjee PK. 2006. Antioxidant activity of Nelumbo nucifera (sacred lotus) seeds. J Ethnophamacol 104: 322-327. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2005.09.025
- Fernandez E, Martinez-Teipel B, Armengol R, Barba C, Coderch L. 2012. Efficacy of antioxidants in human hair. J Photochem Photobiol B 117: 146-156. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2012.09.009
- Perde-Schrepler M, Chereches G, Brie I, Tatomir C, Postescu ID, Soran L, Filip A. 2013. Grape seed extract as photochemopreventive agent against UVB-induced skin cancer. J Photochem Photobiol B 118: 16-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2012.10.008
- A Comprehensive Review on Chemical Profiling ofNelumbo Nucifera: Potential for Drug Development vol.31, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.5732
- Lotus Flavonoids and Phenolic Acids: Health Promotion and Safe Consumption Dosages vol.17, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12333
- The use of natural ingredients in innovative Korean cosmeceuticals vol.17, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jocd.12492