- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Analysis of Pulse Wave Velocity of Jeju female divers
제주 해녀의 맥파전도속도 분석
- Lee, Han-Young (Nonprofit Organization of Jeju Haenyeo Cultural Heritage Preservation)
- 이한영 (비영리법인 제주해녀문화보존회)
- Received : 2015.07.07
- Accepted : 2015.09.20
- Published : 2015.09.28
In this study, we tried to analyze arterial stiffness of Jeju female divers who diver into cold water without the assistance of oxygen. For this purpose we measured pulse wave velocity and ankle-brachial index of Jeju female divers and same aged females who didn't have any cardiovascular risk for comparing the vascular stiffness. The results were the following : First, the light-femoral pulse wave velocity of Jeju female divers was significantly lower than normal women of the same ages. Second, Jeju female divers's ABI showed higher tendency than normal same aged women. These result showed that Jeju female divers' body had been completed for adaptation to low temperature and high pressure water environment through a long-term immersion activities in old age, as well as due to higher physical activity levels of Jeju female divers peripheral vascular resistance was not reduced.
Jeju female divers;Pulse wave velocity;Arterial stiffness;Peripheral vessel resistance;Convergence
- Laurent, S., Cockcroft, J., Van Bortel, L., Boutouyrie, P., Giannattasio, C., Hayoz, D., Pannier, B., Vlachopoulos, C., Wilkinson, I., & Struijker-Boudier, H., expert consensus document on arterial stiffness: Methodological issues and clinical applications, European Heart Journal, 27(21), 2588-2605, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehl254
- Yamashina, A., Tomiyama, H., Takeda, K., Tsuda, H., Arai, T., Hirose, K., Koji, Y., ori, S., & Yamamoto, Y., Validity, reproducibility, and clinical significance of oninvasive brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity measurement, Hypertens. Res., May(25), 359-364, 2002.
- Yamashina, A., Tomiyama, H., Arai, T., Hrose, K., Koji, Y., Yrayam, Y., Brachilal-ankle pulse wave velocity as a marker of atherosclerotic vascular damage and cardiovascular risk, Hypertens. Res., 26, 615-622, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1291/hypres.26.615
- Laurent,S., Boutouyrie, P., Asmar, R., Gautier, I., Laloux, B., Louis, G., Ducimetiere, P., & Benetos, A., Aortic Stiffness Isan Independent Predictor of All-Cause and Cardiovascular Mortality In Hypertensive Patients, Hypertension, 37(5), 1236-1241, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.HYP.37.5.1236
- Libby, P., Inflammation and therosclerosis, Nature, 420(6917), 868-74, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature01323
- Kingwell B. A., Medley T. L., Waddell T. K., Cole T. J., Dart A. M., & Jennings G. L., Large artery stiffness: structural and genetic aspects, Clinical and experimental pharmacology & physiology, 28, 1040-1043, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-1681.2001.03580.x
- Marinovic, J., Ljubkovic, M., Breskovic, T., Gunjaca, G., Obad, A., Modun, D., Bilopavlovic, N., Tsikas, D., Dujic, Z., Effects of successive air and nitrox dives on human vascular function, Eur. J Appl. Physiol., 112(6), 2131-2137, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00421-011-2187-6
- Tanaka, H., Dinenno, F. A., Hunt, B. E., Jones, P. P., DeSouza, C. A., & Seals, D. R., Hemodynamic sequelae of age-related increases in arterial stiffness in healthy women, American Journal of Cardiology, 82(9), 1152-1155, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9149(98)00578-5
- Ferreira, I., Twisk, J. W., Mechelen, W., Kemper, H. C., Seidell, J. C., & Stehouwer, C. D., Current and adolescent body fatness and fat distribution: relationships with carotid intima-media thickness and large artery stiffness at the age of 36 years, Journal of Hypertension, 22, 145-155, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004872-200401000-00024
- Wildman, R. P., mackey, R. H., Bostom, A., Thompson, T., & Sutton-Tyrrell, K., Measures of obesity are associated with vascular stiffness in young and older adults, hypertension, 42, 468-473, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.HYP.0000090360.78539.CD
- Ki-jin Kim, Comparison by the Submergence Duration of Physiological Responses in SCUBA Diving, The Korean Society of Living Environmental System, 8(3), 256-262, 2001.
- Sung-gil Kim, The Effect of Repetitive Dive on Blood Constituent and Physiological Reaction in No Decompression Limit. Ocean Science and Technology School, Graduate School Korea Maritime and Ocean university. 2006.
- Gye-soon Park, The effect of water temperature on the immunity and hormone response during scuba diving, Sports Science, 13(4), 446-458, 2003.
- Eun-young Kim, The change of blood cell components before and right after underwater activities, Educational Graduate School Jeju University, 1991.
- Roberts, J. M., Holmes, N. E., & Doudt, T. J., Light leg exercise will maintain core temperature during 3 hours of cold water immersion, Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 24(Suppl): S153, 1922.
- Seung-chul Kim, Study of physiological response changes to the depth of water during scuba-diving, Educational Graduate School Inje University, 2004.
- Novosadova, J., The Changes in hematocrit, hemoglobin, plasma volume and proteins during and after different types of exercise, European Journal of Applied d Physiology, 36, 223-230, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00421753
- Boutouyrie, P., Lacolley, P., Girerd, X., Beck, L., Safar, M., & & Laurent, S., Sympathetic activation decreases medium-sized arterial compliance in humans. Am. J. Physiol., 267, 1368-1376, 1994.
- Edwards, D. G., Schofield, R. S., Magyari, P. M., Nichols, W. W., & Braith, R. W., Effect of exercise training on central aortic pressure wave reflection in coronary artery disease, Am. J. Hy-pertens., 17, 540-543, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjhyper.2003.12.001
- Zieman, S. J., Melenovsky, V., & Kass, D. A., Mechanisms, pathophysiology, and therapy of arterial stiffness, Arteriosclerosis Thrombosis Vascular Biology, 25(5), 932-943, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.ATV.0000160548.78317.29
- London, G. M., & Guerin, A. P., Influence of arterial pulse and reflected waves on blood pressure and cardiac function, American Heart Journal, 138(3), 220-224, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8703(99)70313-3
- ESH/ESC, 2013 ESH/ESC guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension, Blood Press. 22(4), 193-278, 2013. https://doi.org/10.3109/08037051.2013.812549
- Resnick, H. E., Lindsay, R. S., McDermott, M. M., Devereux, R. B., Jones, K. L., Fabsitz, R. R., Howard, B. V., Relationship of high and Low AnkleB rachial Index to All-Cause and Cardiovascular Disease Mortality, Circulation, 109(6), 733-739, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000112642.63927.54
- Gole. Y., Louge. P., & Boussuges, A., Effects of successive air and nitrox dives on human vascular function, Eur. J Appl. Physiol., 112(6), 2131-7, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00421-011-2187-6
- Gole, Y., Rossi, P., Fontanari, P., Gavarry, O., & Boussuges, A., Arterial compliance in divers exposed to repeated hyperoxia using rebreather equipment, Aviat Space Environ Med 80, 482-484, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3357/ASEM.2457.2009