- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Nurses' Satisfaction on Hospital Performance -Focused on the Patient Satisfaction and Revisit Intention, Recommendation Intention-
간호사만족이 병원성과에 미치는 영향 -환자만족과 재방문의향, 타인추천의향 중심으로-
- Han, Ju-Rang (Dept. of Nursing, Seojeong College) ;
- Ahn, Sung-Hee (College of Nursing, The Catholic University of Korea)
- Received : 2015.07.17
- Accepted : 2015.09.20
- Published : 2015.09.28
This study is to conceptualize nurses' satisfaction, patient satisfaction about nurses and hospital, and patients' revisit and recommendation intention as linear structural equation model, and then, identify the significance of the path coefficient and goodness of the research model. Data were collected from 2,079 nurses and 6,776 patients in 5 university hospitals. The results were as follows: The research model was generally found to be good in terms of goodness of fit. The significance of the path coefficients are as follows. 1)A nurse's satisfaction has great influence on a patient's satisfaction about nurses, 2)A patient's satisfaction about nurses has influence on patient's satisfaction about the hospital, 3)A patient's satisfaction about the hospital has great influence on patient's revisit intention, 4)A patient's satisfaction about the hospital has great influence on patient's recommendation intention. These results will provide basic data for the hospital managers practicing customer satisfaction strategies in their health care marketing.
Nurses' satisfaction;Patient satisfaction;Revisit intention;Recommendation intention;Hospital performance;Convergence of medical service
- D.B. Arnett, D.A. Laverie, C. McLane, "Using job satisfaction and pride as internal-marketing tools", Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, Vol. 43, No. 2, pp.87-96, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1177/001088040204300209
- D.Y. Lee, H.G. Choi, S.D. Cho, "The effects of internal marketing and internal customer satisfaction on external marketing outcomes : an exploratory approach on B2G market", Business Education, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp.121-144, 2009.
- S.J. Yoo, H.S. Seo, J.H. Kim, "A study of effecting the employee satisfaction factors on service level at service encounter", Journal of the Korea Service Management Society, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp.181-201, 2002.
- L.R. Burns, L.R. Beach, "The quality improvement strategy", Health Care Management Review, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp.21-31, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004010-199401920-00003
- D.J. Chung, M.S. Jung, J.O. Byeon, "Structural modeling of hospital facilities, medical human power, patient satisfaction, and behavior intention in health care service", Health and Social Science, Vol. 19, pp.151-178, 2006.
- P.M. Atkins, B.S. Marshall, R.G. Javalgi, "Happy employee lead to loyalty patient", Journal of Health Care Marketing, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp.14-23, 1996.
- A. Adams, S. Bond, "Hospital nurses' job satisfaction, individual and organizational characteristics", Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp.536-543, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2000.01513.x
- J.L. Heskett, T.O. Jones, G.W. Loveman, W.E. Sasser, L.A. Schlesinger, "Putting the service-profit chain to work", Harvard Business Review, Vol. 86, No. 7-8, pp.118-129, 2008.
- J.A. Lim, "A study on the relation between flight attendants' communication satisfaction and job satisfaction. master's thesis", Aerospace University, 2013.
- J.Y. Kim, K.S. Choi, "The causal relationship between medical service orientation and financial performance: mediating roles of internal service quality, internal employee satisfaction, employee retention and customer satisfaction", Korean Accounting Review, Vol. 30, pp.273-301, 2008.
- E.J. Hwang, "Effects of job satisfaction and patients satisfaction on medical profit at public hospitals", Korean Journal of Hospital Management, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp.11-20, 2014.
- K.J. Ji, C.M. Park, J.R. Lee, "A Study of the effects upon satisfaction, intention to revisit and perceived value by patients through the quality of medical services-focused on specialized hospital and general hospital", Korean Public Health Research, Vol. 37, No. 2, pp.41-56, 2011.
- C. Ostroff, D.E. Bowen, "Moving HR to a higher, level : HR practices and organizational effectiveness, cited from K.J. Klein, S.W. Kozlowski, (Ed). Multilevel theory, Research and methods in organizations, San Francisco, Jossey-Bass", pp.211-266, 2000.
- M.D. Clemes, C. Gan, M. Ren, "Synthesizing the effects of service quality, value and customer satisfaction on behavioral intentions in the motel industry: an empirical analysis", Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, Vol. 35, No. 4, pp.530-568, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1177/1096348010382239
- C.G. Park, J.M. Ahn, "A study on comparison of influencing factors on external customer satisfaction of public and non-profit hospital", Korean Public Health Research, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp.41-54, 2014.
- J.L. Walker, "Service encounter satisfaction: conceptualized. The Journal of Service Marketing", Vol. 9, No. 1, pp.5-14, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1108/08876049510079844
- H.J. Cho, "A study on the performance factors of technology commercialization of universities in Korea in terms of the resources-based view", The Journal of Intellectual property, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp.217-245, 2012.
- D.K. Foley, "Development of a visual analogue scale to measure curriculum outcomes", The Journal of Nursing Education, Vol. 47, No. 5, p.213, 2008.
- Z.R. Wolf, M. Colahan, A.l. Costello, "Relationship between nurse caring and patient satisfaction", Medsurg Nursing, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp.99-105, 1998.
- S. Woloshin, L.M. Schwartz, S.Byram, B. Fischhoff, H.G. Welch, "A new scale for assessing perceptions of chance :a validation study", Medical Decision Making, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp.298-314, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/0272989X0002000306
- D. Rowen, J. Brazier, A. Tsuchiya, M.H. Alava, "Valuing states from multiple measures on the same Visual Analogue Scale: a feasibility study", Health Economics, Vol. 21, pp.715-729, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1002/hec.1740
- S.H. Hong, "The criteria for selecting appropriate fit indices in structural equation modeling and their rationales", The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp.161-177, 2000.
- J.F. Hair, B. Black, R.E. Anderson, R.L. Tatham, B. Babin, "Multivariate Data Analysis(6ed), New Jersey:Prentice Hall", 2006.
- S.K. Paik, "The internal marketing strategy for the performance of medical service. Ph.D. dissertation", Sung Kyun Kwan University, 2001.
- S.K. Bae, E.W. Nam, J.Y. Park, "A study on major factor on patient satisfaction of general hospitals in Korea", Korean Journal of Hospital Management, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp.26-44, 2005.
- S.H. Lee, H.J. Lee, S.H. Jung, "Analysis of relating factors with customer loyalties in medical services", Health Policy and Management, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp.37-52, 2005. https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2005.15.2.037
- J.H. Han, P.S. Kim, "The Effect on Service Quality, Customer Satisfaction and Customer Loyalty by Job Satisfaction", Korea Journal of Business Administration, Vol. 25, No. 5, pp.2317-2340, 2012.
- G.J. Kim, G.I. Byun, "The Effect of a Restaurant Employee's Job Satisfaction on Customer Satisfaction and Customer Loyalty", Korean Journal of Hotel Administration, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp.93-110., 2013.
- K.J. Lee, "On the determination of outpatient's revisit using data mining", Health Policy and Management, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp.21-34, 2003. https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2003.13.3.021
- L.D. Urden, "Patient satisfaction measurement: current issues and implication", Lippincott's Case Management, Vol. 7, No. 5, pp.194-200, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1097/00129234-200209000-00006
- Effect of Head Nurses' Authentic Leadership on Nurses' Job Satisfaction and Nursing Performance: Focusing on the Mediating Effects of Empowerment vol.25, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2019.25.1.25