- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Team-Based Learning on Outcome based Nursing Education
성과기반 간호교육에서 팀기반학습 적용의 효과
- Oh, Hyo-Sook (Department of Nursing, Honam University)
- 오효숙 (호남대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2015.07.11
- Accepted : 2015.09.20
- Published : 2015.09.28
This study was performed to develop and evaluate the effects of Team-Based Learning(TBL) on cardiac problem in adult nursing. The study measured problem-solving ability, critical thinking disposition, academic achievement and, class satisfaction for learning outcomes of course. Pretest-posttest design with nonequivalent control group was utilized to analyze the effects of TBL. Experimental group and control group each consisting of 52, 54 participants was picked from the junior students. The experimental group was given the TBL for 6 hours and control group was given a lecture and case-based announcement class. In results, significant improvements were found in problem-solving ability(F=5.92, p=.017), and class satisfaction(F=5.80, p=.018). Critical thinking disposition and academic achievement of experimental group were improved than those of control group, but there were not statistically significant difference.
Team-based Learning;Problem-solving ability;Critical thinking;Learning outcome;Nursing convergence education
- I. S. Kwon, G. E. Lee, G. D. Kim, Y. H.. Kim, K. M. Park, H. S. Park, S. K. Sohn, W. S. Lee, K. S. Jang, B. Y. Chung, Development of a Critical Thinking Disposition Scale for Nursing Students. Journal of Korean Academic of Nursing, Vol. 36, No. 9, pp. 950-958, 2006. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.6.950
- Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education, Accreditation assessment standards for education of korea(the course of the nursing bachelor's degree). Korean Nurses Association, 2012.
- Berkow, S., Virkstis, K., Stewart, J., Conway, L., Assessing new graduate nurse performance. Journal of Nursing Administration, Vol. 38, No. 11, pp. 468-474, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NNA.0000339477.50219.06
- J. H. Park, Study of abilities required to develop for student in education. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Adminstration, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 74-87, 2011. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.1.74
- Brunt, B. A., Models, measurement, and strategies in developing critical-thinking skills. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, Vol. 36, No. 6, pp. 255-262, 2005.
- Eun-Jung Hong, The effects of a cooperative learning program on elementary 4th graders' social studies achievement and learning strategy use. Unpublished master's thesis, pp. 2, Ewha Womans University. 2002.
- Nieder, G. L., Parmelee, D. X., Stolfi, A., Hudes, P. D., Team-based learning in a medical gross anatomy and embryology course. Clinical Anatomy, Vol. 18, pp. 56-63. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/ca.20040
- S. H. Kim, O. B. Chung, A study on the perception and the satisfaction with learning on human development and family relations area of the 6th revision of middle school home economics education curriculum. Journal of Korean Home Economics Education Association, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 47-67, 1997.
- Cheng, Y. C., Mok, M. M., What effective classroom? Towards a paradigm shift. Sch Eff Sch Improv, Vol. 19, pp. 365-385, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/09243450802535174
- Michaelson, L. K., Parmalee, D. X., McMahon, L. L., Levine, R. E., Team-based learning for health professions education: A guide to using small groups for improving learning. Sterling. VA: Stylus Publishing, 2008.
- H. S. Han, A study on nursing students' academic achievement and perception of team-based learning, Journal of Chungju National University, Vol. 46, pp.417-422, 2011.
- Ji-Hye Seo, Impact of team based learning on nursing students' learning performance. Ph.D. dissertation, Seonam University. 2012.
- Cheng, C. Y., Liou, S. R., Tsai, H. M., Chang, C. H., The effects of Team-based Learning on learning behaviors in the maternal-child nursing course, Nurse Education Today, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 25-30, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2013.03.013
- Y. S. Roh, E. N. Ryoo, D. W. Choi, S. S. Baek, S. S. Kim, A survey of student perceptions, academic achievement, and satisfaction of team-based learning in a nursing course, The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 239-247, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.2.239
- Clark, M. C., Nguyen, H. T., Bray, C., Levine, R. F., Team-based learning in an undergraduate nursing course, Journal of Nursing Education, Vol. 47, No. 3, pp. 111-117, 2008. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20080301-02
- S. J. Han, The impact of TBL(team-based learning) on nursing students, The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, Vol. 11, No. 11, pp. 595-602, 2013.
- H. R. Kim, Development and effect of team based simulation learning program on undergraduate nursing students. Ph.D. dissertation, Chosun University. 2012.
- K. O. Choi, Y. M. Park, The effects of team-based learning on problem solving ability, critical thinking disposition and self-directed learning in undergraduate nursing students. Journal of East-West Nursing Research, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 2014.
- A. R. Cho, S. I. Han, S. H. Yoon, J. H. Park, N. J. Yoo, S. Kim, Methods of effective team-based learning administration and expected effects on medical education. Korean Journal of Medical Education, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 47-55, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2010.22.1.47
- Sisk, R. J., Team-based learning: systematic research review. Journal of Nursing Education, Vol. 50, No. 12, pp. 665-669, 2011. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20111017-01
- I. S. Park, D. K. Kim, Effect of TBL on oral prophylaxis education of dental hygiene curriculum. Journal of Korean Academic Dental Health, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 125-133, 2009.
- K. H. Pyun, D. J. Song, A case study on the continuous quality improvement for leadership outcomes education in Yeungnam University. Journal of Engineering Education Research, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 64-72, 2009. https://doi.org/10.18108/jeer.2009.12.1.64
- Erdfelder, E., Faul, F., Buchner, A., Power; A general power analysis program behavior research methods. Instrument and Computer, Vol. 28, pp. 1-11, 1996. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03203630
- S. J. Lee, Y. K. Chang, H. N. Lee, K. Y. Park, A study on the development of life-skills : communication, problem solving, and self-directed learning(RR 2003-15-3). Korean Educational Development Institute: Seoul. 2003.
- Facione, N. C.. Facione, P. A., CCTDI. Millbrae: California Academic Press. 1992.
- Min-Kyung Kim, The effect of organization commitment to studying achievement and class satisfaction in the problem-based learning situations. Unpublished master's thesis, pp. 40-47, Sookmyung Women's University. 2006.
- Facione, P. A. Critical thinking: A statement of expert consensus for purposes of educational assessment and instruction. Executive summary, the Delphi report. Millbrac, CA: The California Academic Press. 1990.
- S. H. Lee, S. E. Chung, The experiences of team-based learning among nursing students. Proceeding of the Korean Academic of Adult Nursing Vol. 2014. No. 6, pp. 259-260, 2014.
- Parmelee, D., Michaelsen, L. K., Cook, S., Hudes, P. D., Team-based learning: a practical guide; AMEE Guide No. 65, Medical Teacher, Vol. 34, pp. 275-287, 2012. https://doi.org/10.3109/0142159X.2012.651179
- Haidet, P., Morgan, R. O., O'Malley, K., Moran, B. J., Richards, B. F., A controlled trial of active versus passive learning strategies in a large group setting. Advances in Health Sciences Education; Theory and Practice, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 15-27, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:AHSE.0000012213.62043.45
- Koles P, Nelson S, Stolfi A, Parmelee DX, Destephen D., Active Learning in a year 2 pathology curriculum. Medical Education, Vol. 39, pp. 1045-1055, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2929.2005.02248.x
- Vasan, N. S., DeFouw, D. O., Compton, S., A survey of student perceptions of team-based learning in anatomy curriculum; Favorable views unrelated to grades, Anatomical Science Education, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 150-155, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/ase.91
- Roh Y. S., Lee S. J., Mennenga H., Factors influencing learner satisfaction with team-based learning among nursing students, Nursing Health Science, Vol. 16 No. 4, pp. 490-497, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1111/nhs.12118
- J. G. Choi, Effects of cooperative and competitive learning on academic achievement and learning attitude by the level of learning ability, Unpublished master's thesis, Kongju National University, 2000.
- Effects of Team-Based Learning on the Core Competencies of Nursing Students vol.26, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1097/jnr.0000000000000259