- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Daily Hassles, Self-Efficacy, and Stress Responses of Adult Learners of Distance Education in Digital Convergence Era -Based on RN-BSN Students
디지털 융복합시대 원격대학 성인학습자의 일상생활스트레스, 자기효능감 및 스트레스반응 -간호학사 특별편입과정 학생을 중심으로
- Park, Young-Suk (Dept. of Nursing, Korea National Open University) ;
- Kim, Jeong-Hee (College of Nursing, Jeju National University)
- Received : 2015.07.08
- Accepted : 2015.09.20
- Published : 2015.09.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the relationships among daily hassles, self-efficacy, and stress responses of RN-BSN (Registered Nurses-Bachelor of Science in Nursing) students in juggling both their jobs and learning as an adult learner of distance education in digital convergence era. The data were collected by a questionnaire from 229 nurses in a RN-BSN course of an open university from October to November, 2013. The mean score of facing task dimension was much higher than the interpersonal dimension score among daily hassles. The academic problem of the facing task and the family relationship of the interpersonal were the highest respectively. The mean score of self-efficacy was slightly higher than the median. Multiple regression showed that perceived health status, workload, occupation satisfaction, and values problem of daily hassles explained 44.2% of stress reponses and values problem was the main factor influencing stress responses. The distance education policies and strategies were required to manage their stress for the adult learners of distance education in digital convergence era.
Digital Convergence Era;Distance Education;Daily Hassles;Self-Efficacy;Stress Response
- Y. I. Kim, J. H. Kim, C. H. Lee, "Job stress- re;ated factors of open university distant education students with having job. Journal of Lifelong Society", Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 157-174, 2011. https://doi.org/10.26857/JLLS.2011.08.7.2.157
- Institute of Medicine(US), "The future of nursing: Leading change, advancing health National Academies Press." http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jopan.2011.02.002 (October 14, 2014)
- Scrubs editor, Scrubs ; 12 biggest reasons nurses get a BSN, May 18, 2015, http://scrubsmag.com/12-biggest-reasons-nurses-get-a-bsn/, cited by Sep 01, 2015.
- H. J. Lim, 'unification of nursing education system as a four-year-course college, May 02, 2011, http://www.emedinews.co.kr/news/view.html?smode=&skey=2%2C+3%2C+4%B3%E2+%BA%D0%B8%AE%B5%C6%B4%F8§ion=1&category=81&no=8452, cited by Sep 01, 2015.
- T. K. Altmann, "Registered nurses returning to school for a bachelors degree in nursing: Issues emerging from a meta-analysis of the research. Contemporary Nurse", Vol. 39, No .2, pp. 256-272, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5172/conu.2011.39.2.256
- T. S. Kim, L. J. Xu, "Relationship of interrole conflict and role-related stress among registered nurses pursuing advanced nursing degrees. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society", Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 5-12, 2012.
- J. Choi, H. J. Park, "Professional self-concept, self-efficacy and job satisfaction of clinical nurse in schoolwork. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society", Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 37-44, 2009.
- M. T. Duffy, M. A. Friesen, K. G. Speroni, D. Swengros, L. A. Shanks, P. A. Waiter, M. J. Sheridan, "BSN completion barriers, challenges, incentives, and strategies. Journal of Nursing Administration", Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 232-236, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1097/NNA.0000000000000054
- P. R. Zuzelo, "Describing the RN-BSN learner perspective: Concerns, priorities, and practice influences. Journal of Professional Nursing", Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 55-65, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1053/jpnu.2001.20252
- S. D. Nam, "A study on school drop-out korean national open university student and analysis of group type: Statistics Analysis Report, Unpublished manuscript. Seoul: Korea National Open University", 2015.
- A. R. Kang, "Nurses' turn over rate 16.9%, New Nurses' 31% left. Hospital Nurses Association 'The smaller hospital is, the higher turnover is', Seoul: DailyMedi", http://www.dailymedi.co.kr/news/view.html?searchsmode=&skey=%C0%CC%C1%F7%B7%FC&skind=both&sterm=uset&ssdate=2014-01-01&sedate=2014-04-02§ion=1&category=132&no=777265korean. cited by Oct 4, 2014.
- P. A. Ratner, R. Sawatzky, "Health status, preventive behaviour and risk factors among female nurses. Components of Statistics Canada Catalogue", Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 1-10, 2009.
- A. DeLongis, S.Folkman, R. S. Lazarus, "The impact of daily stress on health and mood: Psychological and social resources as mediators. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology", Vol. 54, No. 3, pp. 486-495, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1686
- J. H. Kim, Y. S. Park, "Effects of emotional labor and self-efficacy on psyhosocial stress of nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration", Vol. 21, No.1, pp. 111-121, 2015. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.1.111
- A. Bandura, "Exercise of personal and collective efficiacy in changing societies. Countytown: Cambridge University Press", 1995.
- B. J. Zimmerman, "Self-efficacy: An essential motive to learn. Contemporary Educational Psychology", Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 82-91, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1006/ceps.1999.1016
- K. H. Kim, K. K. Chon, J. S. Yi, "Development of the revised life stress scale for college students. Korean Journal of Health Psychology", Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 316-335, 2000.
- K. M. Yang, "Analysis of the relationship between the empowerment, the job-related individual characteristics and the work performance of nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration", Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 39-61, 1999.
- M. Sherer, C. H. Adams, "Construct validation of the self-efficacy scale. Psychological Reports", Vol. 53, No. 3, pp. 899-902, 1983. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.1922.214.171.1249
- H. K. Shin, "Organizational socialization of new staff nurses and its related factors. doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University", 2004.
- K. B. Koh, J. K. Park, C. H. Kim, "Development of the stress response inventory. Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association", Vol. 39, No. 4, pp. 707-719, 2000.
- L. Filaretova, "Stress in physiological studies. Neuroscience and Behavioral Physiology", Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 193-199, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11055-011-9552-0
- Y. S. Park, "Gender differences of perceived stress type, stress response and personality characteristics of lim's character style inventory and vulnerability of personality in college students. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education", Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 118-128, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.118
- S. S. Kim, "Stress and stress response of female graduate students. masther's thesis", Ehwa Womans University, 2001.
- J. Serido, D. M. Almeida, E. Wethington, "Chronic stressors and daily hassles: Unique and interactive relationships with psychological distress. Journal of Health and Social Behavior", Vol. 45, No. 1, pp. 17-33, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1177/002214650404500102
- E. R. Greenglass, R. J. Burke, K. A. Moore, "Reactions to increased workload: Effects on professional efficacy of nurses. Applied Psychology", Vol. 52, No. 4, pp. 580-597, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1111/1464-0597.00152
- A. Bandura, "Self-efficacy: The exercise of control. Choice Reviews Online", Vol. 35, No. 3, pp. 35-1826, 1997.
- S. M. Chang, J. H. Sohn, J. Y. Lee, J. H. Choi, S. J. Cho, H. J. Jeon, B. J. Hahm, D. H. Lee, M. J. Cho, "Characteristics of diagnostic criteria for depression in korea. Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association", Vol. 46, No. 5, pp. 447-452, 2007.
- J. G. Grzywacz, D. M. Almeida, S. D. Neupert, S. L. Ettner, "Socioeconomic status and health: A micro-level analysis of exposure and vulnerability to daily stressors. Journal of Health and Social Behavior", Vol. 45, No. 1, pp. 1-16, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1177/002214650404500101
- M. A. Blegen, C. J.Goode, S. H. Park, T. Vaughn, J. Spetz, "Baccalaureate education in nursing and patient outcomes. The Journal of Nursing Administration", Vol. 43, No. 2, pp. 89-94, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1097/NNA.0b013e31827f2028