- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Factors associated with internet use time among adolescents: focused on convergent implications
청소년의 인터넷 사용시간에 영향을 미치는 요인: 융복합적 함의를 중심으로
- Park, So-Youn (Dept. of Social Welfare, Kyonggi University) ;
- Yang, So-Nam (Dept. of Social Welfare, Kyonggi University)
- Received : 2015.07.23
- Accepted : 2015.09.20
- Published : 2015.09.28
The aim of this study was to investigate effects of socio-demographic, household, social support, health-related factors on adolescent internet use time. Multiple regression analysis was conducted to examine factors affecting adolescent internet using time, and this study used the 2014 10th Korean Youth Health Risk Behavior On-line Survey data by Centers for Disease and Prevention. Results show that as for socio-demographic factors, being male, lower economic status, being middle school student, and having poor academic grade were; as for household factors, youth-led, one-parent, grandparent(s), multicultural, and North Korean defectors family were; as for social support factors, the absence of family support, the absence of friend support and the absence teacher support were; and as for health-related factors, less exercise, higher level of stress, and lower level of subjective happiness were associated with increased internet using time. Based on these results, convergent implications about effective intervention strategies that adolescents can use internet appropriately were discussed in the section of conclusion.
adolescents;internet use;household factor;social support;health factor;convergent implications
- Ministry of Science, KCT and Future Planning, & National Information Society Agency, 2014 A survey on internet usage, 2015.
- Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning, KTDIGIECO, 2015 Mobile Trends, 2015.
- Ministry of Science, KCT and Future Planning, National Information Society Agency, 2014 A survey on internet addiction, 2015.
- K. S. Young, Psychology of computer use: XL. Addictive use of the internet: A case that breaks the stereotype. Psychological Reports, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp.899-902, 1996.
- K. S. Young, Internet addiction: The emergence of a new clinical disorder. CyberPsychology & Behavior, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp.237-244, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.1998.1.237
- M. Griffiths, Internet addiction: Time to be taken seriously? Addiction Research & Theory, Vol. 8, No. 5, pp.413-418, 2000. https://doi.org/10.3109/16066350009005587
- N. A. Shapira, M. C. Lessig, T. D. Goldsmith, S. T. Szabo, M. Lazoritz, M. S. Gold, D. J. Stein, Problematic internet use: Proposed classification and diagnostic criteria. Depression and Anxiety, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp.207-216, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/da.10094
- C. Chou, L. Condron, J. C. Belland, A review of the research on internet addiction. Educational Psychology Review, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp.363-388, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10648-005-8138-1
- R. S. Tokunaga, S. A. Rains, An evaluation of two characterizations of the relationships between problematic internet use, time spent using the internet, and psychosocial problems. Human Communication Research, Vol. 36, No. 4, pp.512-545, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2958.2010.01386.x
- K. S. Young, CBT-IA: The first treatment model for internet addiction. Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp.304-312, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1891/0889-83188.8.131.524
- Y. N. Cho, S. H. Park, Ethnography research on the present state of elementary school students' internet using. Journal of Educational Technology, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp.151-177, 2003. https://doi.org/10.17232/KSET.19.2.151
- J. S. Hwang, D. K. Cho, A study on a model of internet uses in Korea. Korean Telecommunications Policy Review, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp.75-97, 2003.
- J. Y. Park, H. H. Kim, The relationship between time of internet use and disposition of internet addiction: Moderating effects of parental discipline. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp.25-46, 2013.
- D. M. Yeum, S. J. Kim, S. D. Lee, A study of the effect of adolescents' overuse of internet on their cyber delinquency: Focusing on the moderating effect of self-control. Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 75, pp.159-183, 2014.
- J. A. Ryu, K. W. Kim, An analysis of ecological variables affecting adolescent internet addiction. Korean Youth Counselling, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 65-80, 2004.
- S. J. Lee, H. M. Kim, Factors affecting on internet addiction of the adolescents. Journal of Korean Council for Children & Rights, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 275-303, 2009.
- H. Park, The factors affecting on internet addition in adolescence and how to deal with it-Focusing on ecosystem theory. Journal of the Korea Society of Computer and Information, Vol. 15, No. 8, pp. 193-200, 2010.
- S. Y. Park, H. J. Lee, Determinants of internet addiction among the Korean youth, The Journal of The Korea Institute of Electronic Communication Sciences, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp.291-299, 2013. https://doi.org/10.13067/JKIECS.2013.8.2.291
- T. Bax, Internet addiction in China: The battle for the hearts and minds of youth. Deviant Behavior, Vol. 35, No. 9, pp.687-702, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1080/01639625.2013.878576
- Y. S. Kim, B. E. Kim, I. S. Park, S. J. Lee, K. H. Kwon, J. Park, The relation between internet addiction and suicide intention.attempt of adolescent. Korean Juvenile Protection Review, Vol. 19, pp.1-22, 2012.
- K. S. Ko, J. S. Lee, Effect of internet addiction and depression on suicidal ideation among adolescents. Journal of School Social Work, Vol. 25, pp.131-156, 2013.
- K. H. Lee, K. H. Ryu, The variables affecting the internet overuse of adolescents: An analysis by gender, school grades and school systems. Korean Home Economics Education Association, Vol. 6, No. 60, pp.71-87, 2011.
- Y. J. Lee, A study on parent-children relation influences on internet excess utility of adolescent in Digital period. Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 9, No. 6, pp.101-111, 2011.
- J. W. Hwang, K. H. Kim, Adolescents' the internet use time reduction process and its predicting factors through self-regulation. Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 2135-2157, 2012. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.13.5.201210.2135
- J. H. Son, E. R. Son, The relationship between family environment, computer overuse, and internet related delinquency. Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 18. No. 1, pp.135-162, 2007.
- J. H. Kim, K. S. Kim, The analysis of college student's internet addiction model. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp.236-268, 2006.
- E. F. Gross, Adolescent internet use: What we expect, what teens report. Applied Developmental Psychology, Vol. 25, pp. 633-649, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appdev.2004.09.005
- B. Kim, Y. Kim, Internet use and its relationship to physical fitness and academic achievement in middle and high school students. Korean Journal of Sport Pedagogy, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp.111-123, 2004.
- Y. G. Lee, A. R. M. Kim, J. I. Kim, The impact of social capital on adolescent internet use. Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp.231-259, 2011.