- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Effects of Neurofeedback training on Unilateral neglect and Depression in patients with stroke
뉴로피드백 훈련이 뇌졸중 환자의 편측무시와 우울에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Ji-Hoon (Dept. of Occupational Therapy, Youngnam Foreign Language College) ;
- Kim, So-Young (Dept. of Occupational Therapy, Youngnam Foreign Language College)
- Received : 2015.07.24
- Accepted : 2015.09.20
- Published : 2015.09.28
This research aimed to investigate the effects of neurofeedback training on unilateral neglect and depression in patients with stroke. Fourteen of the subjects were selected from the experimental group and the control group respectively; the following results were obtained. First, experimental group and the control group presented significant statistical difference before and after intervention on neglect. However, there is after intervention no significant statistical among them. Two, experimental group and the control group presented significant statistical difference before and after intervention on depression, and the experimental group demonstrated more decrease than the control group in depression. The results obtained from this research expect us that applying the neurofeedback training for the improvement of neglect and depression, to stroke patients has a positive effect on the rehabilitation of patients.
- Jeong-Hui Kim., Moon-Young Chang, The effects of modified constraint-induced movement therapy on unilateral neglect and activities of daily living in stroke patients. Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 27-40, 2009.
- Jee-Hye Im., Kun-Sei Lee, Keon-Yeop Kim, Nam-Soo Hong, Sang-Won Lee, Hee-Joon Bae, Follow-up study on mortality in korean stroke patients. Journal of the Korean Medical Association, Vol. 54, No. 11, pp. 1199-1208, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2011.54.11.1199
- Hwan-Hee Kim, Moon-Young Chang, Jae-Myoung Shim, The effect of fresnel prism for the reduction of unilateral neglect in stroke victims: a single subject research design. Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 63-72, 2007.
- Chokron, S, Dupiemix, E, Tabert, M, Bartolomeo, P, Experimental remission of unilateral spatial neglect. Neuropsychologia, Vol. 45, No. 14, pp. 3127-3148, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2007.08.001
- Ji-Hoon Kim, Hyuk-Cheol Kwon, Hwan Kim, Young-Nam Cho, Effects of contralesional neck extensor muscle vibration on neglect and ability perform activities of daily living in patients with stroke. Journal of Special Education & Rehabilitation Science, Vol. 52, No. 2, pp.341-358, 2013.
- Menon-Nair, A, Korner-Bitensky, N, Ogourtsova, T, Occupational therapitists' identification, assessment, and treatment of unilateral spatial neglect during stroke rehabilitation in Canada. Stroke, Vol. 38, No. 9, pp.2556-2562, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.107.484857
- Kil-Byung Lim, Dug-Young Kim, Kyung-Tae Lee, Influence of hemispatial neglect on trunk control in stroke patients. The Journal of Korean academy of rehabilitation medicine, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 463-469, 2009.
- Carter, A. C. Post stroke depression. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, Vol. 56, No. 6, pp. 634, 2004.
- Dae-Yong, Kim, Ju-Ho, Jeong. Influencing factors of depression in stroke patients. Kosin Medical Journal, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 69-75, 2009.
- Jung-Hee Kim, Ok-Soo Kim, Influence of mastery and sexual frequency on depression in Korean men after a stroke. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, Vol. 65, No, 6, pp. 565-569. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2008.06.005
- Yeon-Jung Shin, Cognitive factor, depression and their relationship in elderly post-stroke patients. Journal of Rehabilitation Psychology, Vol. 21, No. 3, p. 453-467. 2014.
- Yun-Hee Han, Ae-Jin, Lim, Sung-Rye Kim, Ji-Young, Kim, Kyung-Yoon Kam, The effect of changes in post-stroke depression on cognition and upper extremity recovery. Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 39-51, 2011.
- In-Ja Kim, Moon-Ja, Suh, Kum-Soon, Kim, Nam-Ok, Cho, Hee-Jung, Choi. Predicting factors of post-stroke depression. Korean Journal of adult nursing. Vol. 12, No, 1, pp. 147-162, 2000.
- Mee-Kyung Youn, Hyun-Kyung Sun, Pyung-Woom Park, Kuang-Shim Lee, Dong-Lye Jeong, Jung-Eun Lee, The effects of neurofeedback training on brain function quotient of elderly with long-term care insurance service. Journal of East-West nursing research, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 111-119, 2012.
- Young-Shin Lee, Sang-Yeob Kim, Chan-Kyu Kim, Dae-In Jung, Kyung-Yoon Kim, The effect of neurofeedback training on brain wave activity and cognitive performance in chronic stroke patients. Journal of academia-industrial technology, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 2329-2337, 2013.
- Kyung-Jin Yoo, Seung-Il Song, Jong-Min Lee. The effects of neurofeedback training on cognitive function and self-efficacy for traumatic brain injury pateints. Journal of special education & rehabilitation science, Vol. 53, No, 4, pp. 317-337, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15870/jsers.2014.12.53.4.317
- W. S. Jung, The effects of neurofeedback training(NFT) on the physical function in chronic stroke patients. Ph.D. dissertation, Dongsin University, 2013.
- Angelakis, E, Stathopoulou, S, Frymiare, J. L, Green, D. L, Lubar, J. F, Kounios, J, EEG neurofeedback: A brief overview and an example of peak alpha frequency training for cognitive enhancement in the elderly. The Clinical Neuropsychologist, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 110-129, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1080/13854040600744839
- Jin-Hwa Jung, The effects of neurofeedback training and computer assisted cognitive rehabilitation training on brian wave, cognition, and ADL in poststroke. Ph.D. dissertation, Samhyook University, 2011.
- Jong-Han Park, Young-Chul Kwon, Standardization of korean version of mini-mental state examination(MMSE-K) for use in the elderly. part II. diagnostic validity. Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association. Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 508-513, 1989.
- Bouska, M. J., Kwatny, E, Manual for application of Motor-Free Visual Perception Test to the adult population. Philadelphia: Academic therapy Press, 1983.
- Ji-Hoon Kim, The effect on efficient time-use intervention on depression and quality of life in spinal cord injury- a case study. Korean Society of Cognitive Rehabilitation, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 59-74, 2014.
- Radomski, M. V., & Trombly, C. A. Occupational therapy for dysfunction. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 2014.
- Cheong-Hui Jeong, Gil-Dong Hong, Jin Hwang, Effects of concentration training with brainwave biofeedback on archery performance back on. Korean Journal of Sport Psychology, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 37-48, 2004.
- Myoung-Hee Kum, Young-Mee Kang, Hye-Kyung Kim, Hyun-Sook Jung, Mi-Yeoun Han, Study on brain function enhancement and the effects of stress reduction through neuro-feedback training on nursing students of Busan. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 111-119, 2012. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2012.6.2.111
- Thornton, K, Improvement/rehabilitation of memory functioning with neurotherapy/QEEG biofeedback. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 1285-1296, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001199-200012000-00008
- Tinius, T. P., & Tinius, K. A, Changes after EEG biofeedback and cognitive retraining in adults with mild traumatic brain injury and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Journal of Neurotherapy, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 27-44., 2000 https://doi.org/10.1300/J184v04n02_05
- Henriques, J. B, Davidson, R. J, Left frontal hypoactivation in depression. Journal of abnormal and social Psychology, Vol. 100, pp.535-545, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-843X.100.4.535
- Rosenfeld, J. P., Baehr, E., Baehr, R., Gotlib, I., Ranganath, C, Preliminary evidence that daily change in frontal alpha asymmetry correlate with change in affect in therapy session. International Journal of Psychphysiology, Vol. 23, pp. 241-258, 1996.
- Baehr, E., Rosenfeld, J. P., Baehr, R, The clinical use of un alpha asymmetry protocol in the neurofeedback treatment of depression: two case studies. Journal of Neurotherapy, Vol. 4, pp. 11-18, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1300/J184v04n04_03
- Seung-Won Choi, The effectiveness of alpha wave neurofeedback in depression. Ph.D. dissertation, Korea University, 2007.