- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
How Consumers Perceive Online Behavioral Advertising: Consumer Typology and Determining Factors
온라인 맞춤형 광고 인식에 따른 소비자유형 연구: 효용과 비용을 중심으로
- Lee, Jin-Myong (Korean Institute for Consumer Education) ;
- Rha, Jong-Youn (Dept. of Consumer Science, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2015.07.10
- Accepted : 2015.09.20
- Published : 2015.09.28
This study aims 1) to identify distinctive consumer groups according to their perception of benefits and costs of Online Behavioral Advertising(OBA), 2) to explore differences among them, and 3) to investigate antecedent variables that affect the consumers' perception of OBA. Online survey data collected from 1,000 online users. The findings of this study are as follows. First, the result of cluster analysis identified four distinctive consumer groups according to the levels of perceived benefits and costs of OBA: 'Indifferent group', 'cost-centered group', 'benefit-centered group', and 'Benefit-cost balanced group'. Second, four consumer groups showed differences in their demographics, advertising related variables, privacy related variables, and technology related variables. Third, according to multinomial logistic analysis, it was found that there were different factors affecting consumers' perception of benefits and costs of OBA.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- J. Y. Rha, J. M. Lee, A. Choi, J. Yoon & J. Choi, "Consumers' Willingness to Provide Personal Information for Online Behavioral Advertising", Telecommunications Review, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 137-152, 2014.
- Federal Trade Commission. "FTC staff report: Self-regulatory principles for online behavioral advertising", Accessed on February 15, 2009.
- Yan, J., Liu, N., Wang, G., Zhang, W., Jiang, Y., & Chen, Z. "How much can Behavioral Targeting Help Online Advertising?" WWW '09 Proceedings of the 18th international conference on World wide web, pp. 261-270, 2009.
- M. H. Shin, "Influence Information Privacy Concerns and Personal Innovation of Smartphone-based Shopping Mall on Usefulness, Ease-of-Use and Satisfaction", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 8. pp. 197-209, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.8.197
- H. J. Kim & J. Y. Rha. "Is Smartphone Smart for Everybody? A Study of Smartphone User Typology", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 1. pp. 37-47. 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.1.37
- J. H. Kim, B. K. Sung & S. H. Boo, "The Influence of Usefulness, Convenience & Privacy Threats on Accepting Online Behavioral Advertising: Focused on Consumer's Psychological Response & Perceived Controllability", The Korean Journal of Advertising, Vol. 87, pp. 263-302, 2010.
- Yaveroglu, I. & Donthu, N. "Advertising Repetition and Placement Issues in On-line Environments", Journal of Advertising, Vol. 37, No. 2, pp. 31-44, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2753/JOA0091-3367370203
- McDonald A. M. & Cranor L. F. "Americans' attitudes about Internet Behavioral Advertising practices". WPES '10 Proceedings of the 9th annual ACM workshop on Privacy in the electronic society, pp. 63-72, 2010.
- Campbell D. E. & Wright R. T. "Shut-up I don't care: Understanding the role of relevance and interactivity on customer attitudes toward repetitive online advertising". Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 62-76, 2008.
- Ur B., Leon P. G., Cranor L. F., Shay R. & Wang Y. "Smart, useful, scary, creepy: perceptions of online behavioral advertising", SOUPS '12 Proceedings of the Eighth Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security, 2012.
- TRUSTe, "Consumer Research Results: Privacy and online behavioral advertising", 2011.
- Tene, O. & Polenetsky, J. "To Track or Do Not Track: Advancing Transparency and Individual Control in Online Behavioral Advertising", Minnesota Journal of Law, Science & Technology, Vol. 13, pp. 281-357, 2012.
- I. K. Kwon & S. Y. Lee. "Personalized Service Based on Context Awareness through User Emotional Perception in Mobile Environment", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 287-292, 2012. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2012.10.2.287
- C. H. Kim, "The Influence of Interactivity and Situational Involvement on Web-based Information as contents into Recall of Web-based Information and Satisfaction on the Information", The Korean Journal of Advertising, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 199-227, 2007.
- B. T. Kim & J. M. Kim, "A Study on the Online Advertising Effectiveness of a Product Fit, an Involvement toward the Website and a Click Act", Journal of Marketing Management Research, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 55-81, 2003.
- Leon, P., Ur, B., Shay, R., Wang, Y., Balebako, R., & Cranor, L. "Why Johnny can't opt out: a usability evaluation of tools to limit online behavioral advertising, In Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems", ACM, pp. 589-598, 2012.
- Awad N. F. & Krishnan M. S. "The personalization privacy paradox: An empirical evaluation of information transparency and the willingness to be profiled online for personalization", MIS quarterly, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 13-28, 2006. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148715
- K. B. Yoon, "Study on Decision-making and Control of Personal Data Posted on the Internet, The Journal of the Institute of Internet", Broadcasting and Communication, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 227-232, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7236/JIIBC.2014.14.4.227
- Lam, S. Y., Chiang, J., & Parasuraman, A. "The effects of the dimensions of technology readiness on technology acceptance: An empirical analysis", Journal of Interactive Marketing, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 19-39, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/dir.20119
- Ducoffe R. H. "Advertising value and advertising on the web", Journal of Advertising Research, Vol. 36, No. 5, pp. 21-35, 1996.
- K. H. Nam & J. S. Yeo, "A Study on Consumers' Acceptance Process of Mobile Advertising", Journal of Consumer Studies, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 1-28, 2011.
- McGrath, J. M., & Mahood, C. "The impact of arousing programming and product involvement on advertising effectiveness", Journal of Current Issues & Research in Advertising, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 41-52, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1080/10641734.2004.10505163
- C. W. Park, "A Study on the Consumer Factors Influencing the Choice of Channel in the Brokerage Transaction", Journal of Retailing Research, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 1-26, 2005.
- J. Y. Nam & J. Y. Rha, "Location Privacy Concern and its impact on consumers' intention to use Location-Based Services", Consumer policy and education review, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 81-102, 2009.
- Parasuraman, A. "Technology Readiness Index (TRI) a multiple-item scale to measure readiness to embrace new technologies", Journal of Service Research, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 307-320, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/109467050024001
- Cranor, L. F. "Necessary but not sufficient: Standardized mechanisms for privacy notice and choice", Journal on Telecommunications and High Technology Law, Vol. 10, pp. 273-307, 2012.
- J. Y. Rha, H. G. Koo, H. J. Kim, J. M. Lee, H. R. Lee & H. Y. Lee, "Consumer Information Search Type for Financial Products", Journal of Consumer Studies, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 99-124, 2013.