- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
External Information Network Diversity and Production Management Capability in IT SMEs in the Age of Digital Convergence: The Mediating Effect of Manufacturing Capability
디지털 융합시대에 IT 중소기업의 외부정보네트워크의 다양성과 생산관리능력: 제조능력의 매개효과를 중심으로
- Hau, Yong Sauk (School of Business, Yeungnam University)
- 허용석 (영남대학교 경영학과)
- Received : 2015.07.23
- Accepted : 2015.09.20
- Published : 2015.09.28
The production management is one of the essential capabilities of the small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in the information technology sector (IT). Therefore, this study empirically analyzed the effects of such important factors as external information network diversity and manufacturing capability on IT SMEs' production management capability. Based on the 310 data collected from Korean SMEs in the IT sector, the ordinary least squares regression results from this study by using the SPSS version 22 have empirically shown that IT SMEs' external information network diversity has a positive and significant effect on their production management capability and this effect is fully mediated by their manufacturing capability. These findings provide a meaningful implication that the positive impact of IT SMEs' external information network diversity is linked to their production management capability through their manufacturing capability.
- R. K. Singh, S. K. Garg, and S. G. Deshmukh, Strategy development by SMEs for competitiveness: a review. Benchmarking: An International Journal, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 525-547, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1108/14635770810903132
- R. M. Grant, Toward a knowledge-based theory of the firm, Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 17, Winter Special Issue, pp. 109-122, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199602)17:2<109::AID-SMJ796>3.0.CO;2-P
- R. M. Grant, The knowledge-based view of the firm: Implications for management practice, Long Range Planning, Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 450-454, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-6301(97)00025-3
- W. G. Nickels, J. M. McHugh, and S. M. McHugh "Understanding Business. McGraw Hill", 2012.
- H. W. Chesbrough "Open Innovation - The New Imperative for Creating and Profiting from Technology. Boston: Harvard Business School Press", 2006.
- H. W. Chesbrough, The era of open innovation, MIT Sloan Management Review, Vol. 44, No. 3, pp. 35-41, 2003.
- J. Watson, Modeling the relationship between networking and firm performance, Journal of Business Venturing, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 852-874, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2006.08.001
- R. M. Baron, and D. A. Kenny, The Moderator-Mediator Variable Distinction in Social Psychological Research : Conceptual, Strategic, and Statistical Considerations, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 51, No. 6, pp. 1173-1182, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2063
- M. E. Sobel, Asymptotic confidence internvals for indirect effects in structural equation models, Sociological Methodology, Vol. 13, pp. 290-312, 1982. https://doi.org/10.2307/270723
- V. van de Vrande, J. P. J. de Jong, W. Vanhaverbeke, and M. de Rochemont, Open innovation in SMEs: Trends, motives and management challenges, Technovation, Vol. 29, No. 6-7, pp. 423-437, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2008.10.001
- B. Kogut, and U. Zander, Knowledge of the Firm, Combinative Capabilities, and the Replication of Technology, Organization Science, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 383-397, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.3.3.383
- N. J. Foss, Knowledge-Based Approaches to the Theory of the Firm: Some Critical Comments, Organization Science, Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 470-476, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.7.5.470
- H. W. Chesbrough "Open Business Models - How to Thrive in the New Innovation Landscape. Boston: Harvard Business School Press", 2006.
- H. W. Chesbrough, and M. M. Appleyard, Open Innovation and Strategy, California Management Review, Vol. 50, No. 1, pp. 57-76, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2307/41166416
- L. Huston and N. Sakkab, Connect and Develop, Harvard Business Review, Vol. 84, No. 3, pp. 58-66, 2006.
- H. W. Chesbrough, K. Sohyeong, and A. Agogino, Chez Panisse: BUILDING AN OPEN INNOVATION ECOSYSTEM, California Management Review, Vol. 56, No. 4, pp. 144-171, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1525/cmr.2014.56.4.144