- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
An Exploratory Study on the Slow Adoption of Vendor managed Inventory in Manufacturing Firms
제조업체의 VMI 시스템 도입 부담요인에 관한 탐색적 연구
- Rhee, Moon-Ki Kyle (School of Business, SungKyunKwan University) ;
- Choi, Hye-Jeong (Zuelligpharma Korea) ;
- Park, Seong-Taek (KASOM)
- Received : 2015.07.20
- Accepted : 2015.09.20
- Published : 2015.09.28
Vendor Managed Inventory(VMI) is a distribution channel system where the inventory at the retailer is monitored and managed by the manufacturer or vendor. By pushing the decision making responsibility further up the supply chain and centralizing the replenishment decision, the vendor can help the entire supply chain be more competitive. The purpose of this research is to explore the factors influencing the adoption of VMI by Korean manufacturers. This research proposes the IT readiness, operating cost, and information sharing as antecedents of burden for VMI, and collected the survey responses from the small-to-medium manufacturers. The statistical results indicate that only the operating cost has a significant impact on the adoption of VMI. However it has also been found that the IT readiness and information sharing have a significant effect on the operating cost. Thus indirectly influence the adoption of VMI. As a conclusion, the academic and practical implications of these findings are discussed.
Vendor Managed Inventory;IT readiness;operating cost;information sharing;Information System;Inventory Management
- Zammori, F., M. Braglia & M. Frosolini, "A standard agreement for vendor managed inventory", Strategic Outsourcing: An International Journal, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 165-186, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1108/17538290910973376
- Cheong, H.G., S.T. Park, & T.U., Kim, "Concept and Issues in Supply Chain Management for Plant Engineering Project", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 9, pp. 213-224, 2012.
- Disney, S. M., & D.R. Towill, "The effect of vendor managed inventory (VMI) dynamics on the Bullwhip Effect in supply chains", International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 85, No. 2, pp. 199-215, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-5273(03)00110-5
- Bendoly, E., & F.R. Jacobs, Strategic ERP extension and use, Stanford University Press, 2005.
- Marloes J.T. A. J. Claassen, V. Weele, & E. M. Raaij, "Performance outcomes and success factors of vendor managed inventory(VMI)", Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, Vol. 13, No, 6, pp. 406-414, 2008 https://doi.org/10.1108/13598540810905660
- Kulp, S.C., H.L. Lee, & E. Ofek, "Manufacture benefits from information integration with retail customers", Management Science, Vol. 50, No. 4, pp. 431-444, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1030.0182
- Burke, M., "It's time for vendor managed inventory", Industrial Distribution, Vol. 85, No. 2, p. 90, 1996.
- Hwang, G. & D.H. Moon, "A case study on the implementation of VMI using electronic balance system for C-parts", Journal of the Korean Society of Supply Chain Management, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 101-110, 2012.
- ODETTE, Vendor Managed Inventory (VMI) (version 1.0), 2004.
- Arli, V., S. Dylke, R. Burgess, R. Campus & E. Soldo, "Woolworths Australia and Walmart US: Best practices in supply chain collaboration", Journal of Economics, Business, and Accountancy Ventura, Vol. 16, No, 1, pp. 27-46, 2013.
- Angulo, A., H. Nachtmann, & M.A. Waller, "Supply chain information sharing in a vendor managed inventory partnership", Journal of Business Logistics, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 101-.120, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2158-1592.2004.tb00171.x
- Kuk, G., "Effectiveness of vendor-managed inventory in the electronics industry: determinants and outcomes", Information & Management, Vol. 41, No, 5, pp. 645-654, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2003.08.002
- Saeed, A., M. Iqbal, & M.W. Akhtar, "Removal and recovery of lead(II) from single and multimetal (Cd, Cu, Ni, Zn) solutions by crop milling waste (black gram husk)", Journal of Hazardous Materials, Vol. 117, pp. 65-73, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2004.09.008
- Liang, H., N. Saraf, Q. Hu & Y. Xue, "Assimilation of enterprise systems: the effect of institutional pressures and the mediating role of top management", MIS Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 59-87, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148781
- Malhotra, A., S. Gosain & O.A.E. Sawy, "Absorptive capacity configurations in supply chains: gearing for partner-enabled market knowledge creation", MIS Quarterly, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 145-187, 2005. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148671
- McCormack, K., "What Supply Chain Management Practices Relate to Superior Performance?" DRK Research Team, Boston, MA, pp. 35-80, 1998.
- Brunn, P., & R. N. Mefford, "Lean production and the Internet", International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 89, No. 3, pp. 247-260, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2003.10.007
- Park, S.W. & S.T. Park, "A Study on the Impact of Supply Chain Partnership on Performance of Suppliers", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 10, pp. 169-179, 2013.
- No, G.H., S.T. Park, & T.U. Kim, "Analysis of the Structure and Impact of SCM Advanced Planning System : Lessons from POSCO Case", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 145-155, 2014.
- Cheong, H.G., N.H, Cho, & T.U, Kim, "A Study of Effect of Trust and Relational Norms on Interfirm Cooperation, Conflict and Performances in Project Supply Chain", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 93-103, 2014.
- McAfee, A., "The impact of enterprise information technology adoption on operational performance: an empirical investigation", Production and Operations Management, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 33-53, 2002.
- Inkpen, A.C. & E.W.K, Tsang, "Social capital, networks, and knowledge transfer", Academy of Management Review, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 146-165, 2005. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.2005.15281445
- Hendricks, K.B., V.R. Singhal & J.K. Stratman, "The impact of enterprise systems on corporate performance: a study of ERP, SCM, and CRM system implementations", Journal of Operations Management, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 65-82, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2006.02.002