- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Effectiveness of Learning Community for the Development of Convergence of University Students
대학생 융복합능력 함양을 위한 학습공동체 효과성 분석
- Park, Sung Hee (College of Education, Gachon University)
- 박성희 (가천대학교 교육대학원)
- Received : 2015.07.20
- Accepted : 2015.09.20
- Published : 2015.09.28
This study investigated the effectiveness of the learning community for the development of convergence on self-directed learning and problem-solving. One hundred ninety-nine university students participated in the study. In specific, one hundred twenty-three among them participated learning community program at the center for teaching and learning for nine weeks while the others were are not as a control group. Pre-post survey with 62 items was conducted regarding self-directed learning(35 items) and problem-solving(27 items). To analyze the data statistically, ANCOVA(Analysis of Covariate) was used. As results, university students in learning community program showed significant difference in all areas of the survey. In other words, university students in learning community program improved self-directed learning and problem solving more than those who were in the control group. Suggestions and ideas of further studies were discussed.
- S. K. Jeon, An analysis of the structural equation model of university students' motivating factors and intentions in their use of the center for teaching & learning, The Journal of Korean Education, Vol. 39, No. 3, pp.59-83, 2012.
- A. Amin, J. Roberts, Knowing in action: Beyond communities of practice, Research Policy, Vol. 37, No. 2, pp.353-369, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2007.11.003
- J. M. Kim, Y, S., Choi, Effect of practice education using the simulator, critical thinking, problem solving ability and nursing process confidence of nursing students. Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol 20, No 4, pp. 548-560, 2015.
- S. Y. Pi, Educational utilization of smart device in the convergence education era, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol 13, No 6, pp. 29-37, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.6.29
- S. H. Yu, J. H. Kang, Correlation between critical thinking ability and disposition of university nursing students for the development of convergence, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol 13, No 6, pp. 197-203, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.6.197
- M. H. Yoem, S. H. Park, J. W. Oh. A study on the college peer-tutoring program based on tutors' experiences, Korean Journal of Educational Administration, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp.1-26, 2012.
- M. H. Yoem, S. H. Park, Understanding and promoting a learning community in universities: The case of 'Aha! learning community' at chonnam national university, Korean Journal of Educational Research, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp.127-156, 2008.
- Y. H. Song, Relationships among self-directed learning ability, collective efficacy, knowledge sharing, satisfaction in a university study circle, Journal of Educational Studies, Vol. 42, No. 3, pp.179-209, 2011.
- S. Y. Jang, N. R. Kim, The relationships of problem solving ability, learning strategies, professor-student interaction, school achievement in the learning community of majored engineering, The Korean Journal of Educational Methodology Studies, Vol, 25, No. 3, pp.581-602, 2013.
- B. J. Kim, J. W. Kim, A study on a convergence education system to improve university students' life competencies, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol 12, No 12, pp. 173-180, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.12.173
- E. D. Lardner, G, Malnarich, Sustaining learning communities: Moving from curricular to educational reform,http://evergreen.edu/washingtoncenter/docs/lardnersustaininglcs.pdf, 2009.
- C. M. Zhao, G. D. Kuh, Adding value: Learning communities and student engagement, Vol. 45, No. 2, pp.115-138, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:RIHE.0000015692.88534.de
- M. Clark, H. T. Nguyen, C. Bray, R. E. Levine, Team-based learning in an undergraduate Nursing Course, Vol. 47, No. 3, pp.111-117, 2008.
- Y. K. Suk, Team project activity and satisfaction in business education, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol 12, No 7, pp. 217-227, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.7.217
- S. R. Yee, A study of team satisfaction and associated factors of engineering college freshmen, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol 13, No 2, pp. 315-324, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.2.315
- Etienne Wenger, Ricahrd McDermott, Williams Snyder, Cultivating communities of practice. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press, 2002.
- K. H. Kim, A study on effects of the collective efficacy and self-directed learning ability on learning satisfaction among learning communities participating university students, Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol, 20, No. 12, pp.315-335, 2013.
- M. Eraut, Conceptual analysis of research questions: Do the concept of "learning community" and "community of practice" provide added value?" Annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association Conference, New Orleans. Retrieved from ERIC database. (ED466030), 2002
- Patricia. Margaret. McCarver, What a learning community learns: A cooperative inquiry, Ph.D. dissertation, California Institute of Integral Studies, 2003.
- Young-Man Yoo, Knowledge Ecology, Seoul, SERI, 2006.
- Chang Gook Yoon, A study on types and characteristics of arguments about learning community, Master Thesis, Seoul National University, 2002.
- O. T. Lenning, L. H. Ebbers, The powerful potential of learning communities: Improving education for the future. U. S, Association for the study oof Higher Eduction Report, Vol. 26, No.6, http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED428606.pdf, 1999.
- O. B. Kim, C, H. Jung, J. A. Jang, Exploring communication, flow, and self-directed learning competency of university students depending on learning community, University Instruction and Learning Study, Vol. 7, pp.100-118, 2015.
- H. S. Yu, J. W. Ko, H. N. Lim, Examining learning experiences influencing on the communication skills and high-order thinking skills, Korean Journal of Educational Administration, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp.319-337, 2011.
- E, C. Lee, A study on the development of support strategies by investigating factors for study group activities in universities, The Journal of Yeolin Education, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp.351-374, 2013.
- M. A. Jeon, A relationship between self-directed learning readiness and learning style of university students majored in science and engineering, The Journal of Korean Industrial Engineering Association, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp.240-266, 2013.
- E. Y. Kim, A. Kim, .A study on the educational meaning of learning community activities in college students: Focused on continuous participants of the Study group program, Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, Vol. 13 No. 5, pp.91-119, 2013.
- K. K. Kim, J. Yoon, K. Y. Choi, S. Y. Park, J. H. Bae, Interdisciplinary cooperation project learning on communication, problem-solving, and self-directed learning ability of university students, The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 252-261, 2008. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2008.14.2.252
- H. J. Kang, J. S. Kim, The effects of learning community program on college students' sense of community and problem-solving capacity, Journal of Lifelong Education, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp.1-22, 2012.
- SN. Williamson, Development of a self-rating scale of self-directed learning, Nurse Researcher, Vol. 14 No. 2, pp.66-83, 2007. https://doi.org/10.7748/nr2007.01.14.2.66.c6022
- M. H. Kang, Y. H. Song, S. H. Park, Relationships among metacognition, flow, interactions and problem solving ability in web-based problem based learning, Journal of Research in Curriculum & Instruction, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp.293-315, 2008. https://doi.org/10.24231/rici.2008.12.2.293
- P. P. Heppener, C. H. Peterson, The development and implications of a personal problem-solving inventory. Journal of Counseling Psychology, Vol. 29 No. 1, pp.66-75, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0188.8.131.52
- Youngsu Hong, The effects of life stress and psychosocial resources for adolescent suicidal behaviors, Ph. D. dissertation, Yeonsei University, 2004.
- J. Y. Han, Improvement of self-directed learning ability through engineering design education, Journal of Engineering Education Research, Vol. 14, No.2, pp. 64-73, 2010.
- C. S. Park, S. H. Park, S. Y. Jeong, Research on applicability of teaching-learning methods for creative problem solving to a course in university, Journal of Engineering Education Research, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp.23-37, 2010. https://doi.org/10.18108/jeer.2010.13.1.23
- Sang-Won Lee, The model thesis for the learning community construction of the school, master thesis, Busan National University of Education, 2009.
- Sang Yong Lee, Design and implementation of social network service for building online learning communities, master thesis, Korea National Open University, 2010.
- Jae-Eun Jo, A study on study club management way for study community realization, master thesis, Daegu University, 2009.
- N. Kim, S. Jang , C. Song, The effects of types of learning community on self-determination and learning satisfaction, The Journal of Yeolin Education, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp.23-38, 2013.
- Effect of University Students’ Type of Self-Determination and Academic Emotions on Learning Community Participant Competence: Focusing on Students Majoring in Early-Childhood Education vol.55, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.6115/fer.2017.038