- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Optimal Operation for Green Supply Chain with Quality of Recyclable Parts and Contract for Recycling Activity
- Kusukawa, Etsuko (Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka Prefecture University) ;
- Alozawa, Sho (Graduate School of Information Science, Nara Institute of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2014.12.19
- Accepted : 2015.09.05
- Published : 2015.09.30
This study discusses a contract to promote collection and recycling of used products in a green supply chain (GSC). A collection incentive contract is combined with a reward-penalty contract. The collection incentive contract for used products is made between a retailer and a manufacturer. The reward-penalty contract for recycling used products is made between a manufacturer and an external institution. A retailer pays an incentive for collecting used products from customers and delivers them to a manufacturer with a product order quantity under uncertainty in product demand. A manufacturer remanufactures products using recyclable parts with acceptable quality levels and covers a part of the retailer's incentive from the recycled parts by sharing the reward from an external institution. Product demand information is assumed as (i) the distribution is known (ii) mean and variance are known. Besides, the optimal decisions for product quantity, collection incentive of used products and lower limit of quality level for recyclable parts under decentralized integrated GSCs. The analysis numerically investigates how (1) contract for recycling activity, (ii) product demand information and (iii) quality of recyclable parts affect the optimal operation for each GSC. Supply chain coordination to shift IGSC is discussed by adopting Nash Bargaining solution.
Supported by : Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
- Alfares, H. K. and Elmorra, H. H. (2005), The distribution- free newsboy problem: extensions to the shortage penalty case, International Journal of Production Economics, 93-94, 465-477. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2004.06.043
- Asghari, M., Abrishami, S. J., and Mahdavi, F. (2014), Reverse logistics network design with incentivedependent return, Industrial Engineering and Management Systems An International Journal, 13(4), 383-397.
- Aras, N. and Aksen, D. (2008), Locating collection centers for distance-and incentive-dependent returns, International Journal of Production Economics, 111(2), 316-333. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2007.01.015
- Aras, N., Aksen, D., and Gonul Tanugur, A. (2008), Locating collection centers for incentive-dependent returns under a pick-up policy with capacitated vehicles, European Journal of Operational Research, 191(3), 1223-1240. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2007.08.002
- Aras, N., Boyaci, T., and Verter, V. (2004), The effect of categorizing returned products in remanufacturing, IIE Transactions, 36(4), 319-331. https://doi.org/10.1080/07408170490279561
- Aust, G. and Buscher, U. (2012), Vertical cooperative advertising and pricing decisions in a manufacturer- retailer supply chain: a game-theoretic approach, European Journal of Operational Research, 223(2), 473-482. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2012.06.042
- Bakal, I. S. and Akcali, E. (2006), Effects of random yield in remanufacturing with price-sensitive supply and demand, Production and Operations Management, 15(3), 407-420. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1937-5956.2006.tb00254.x
- Behret, H. and Korugan, A. (2009), Performance analysis of a hybrid system under quality impact of returns, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 56(2), 507-520. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2007.11.001
- Berr, F. (2011), Stackelberg equilibria in managerial delegation games, European Journal of Operational Research, 212(2), 251-262. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2011.02.021
- Cachon, G. P. and Netessine, S. (2004), Game theory in supply chain analysis. In: Simchi-Levi, D., Wu, S. D., and Shen, Z. J. (eds.), Handbook of Quantitative Supply Chain Analysis: Modeling in the e-Business Era, Kluwer, Boston, MA, 13-65.
- Cai, G. G., Zhang, Z. G., and Zhang, M. (2009), Game theoretical perspectives on dual-channel supply chain competition with price discounts and pricing schemes, International Journal of Production Economics, 117(1), 80-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2008.08.053
- Daniel, V., Guide Jr, R., and Jayaraman, V. (2000), Product acquisition management: current industry practice and a proposed framework, International Journal of Production Research, 38(16), 3779-3800. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207540050176003
- Du, J., Liang, L., Chen, Y., Cook, W. D., and Zhu, J. (2011), A bargaining game model for measuring performance of two-stage network structures, European Journal of Operational Research, 210(2), 390-397.
- Esmaeili, M. and Zeephongsekul, P. (2010), Seller-buyer models of supply chain management with an asymmetric information structure, International Journal of Production Economics, 123(1), 146-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2009.07.016
- Ferguson, M., Guide, V. D., Koca, E., and Souza, G. C. (2009), The value of quality grading in remanufacturing, Production and Operations Management, 18(3), 300-314. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1937-5956.2009.01033.x
- Fleischmann, M., Bloemhof-Ruwaard, J. M., Dekker, R., Van der Laan, E., Van Nunen, J. A., and Van Wassenhove, L. N. (1997), Quantitative models for reverse logistics: a review, European Journal of Operational Research, 103(1), 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(97)00230-0
- Gallego, G. and Moon, I. (1993), The distribution free newsboy problem: review and extensions, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 44(8), 825-834. https://doi.org/10.1057/jors.1993.141
- Guide, V. D. R., JR. (2000), Production Planning and Control for Remanufacturing: Industry Practice and Research Needs, Journal of Operation Management, 18(4), 467-483. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-6963(00)00034-6
- Guide, V. D. R. and Wassenhove, L. N. (2001), Managing product returns for remanufacturing, Production and Operations Management, 10(2), 142-155.
- Guide, V. D. R., Teunter, R. H., and Van Wassenhove, L. N. (2003), Matching demand and supply to maximize profits from remanufacturing, Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, 5(4), 303-316. https://doi.org/10.1287/msom.5.4.303.24883
- Hong, I.-H. and Ke, J.-S. (2011), Determining advanced recycling fees and subsidies in 'E-scrap' reverse supply chains, Journal of Environmental Management, 92(6), 1495-1502. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2010.12.004
- Hu, Y., Guan, Y., and Liu, T. (2011), Lead-time hedging and coordination between manufacturing and sales departments using Nash and Stackelberg games, European Journal of Operational Research, 210(2), 231-240.
- Inderfurth, K. (2005), Impact of uncertainties on recovery behavior in a remanufacturing environment: a numerical analysis, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 35(5), 318-336. https://doi.org/10.1108/09600030510607328
- Kaya, O. (2010), Incentive and production decisions for remanufacturing operations, European Journal of Operational Research, 201(2), 442-453. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2009.03.007
- Konstantaras, I., Skouri, K., and Jaber, M. Y. (2010), Lot sizing for a recoverable product with inspection and sorting, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 58(3), 452-462. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2009.11.004
- Lee, C., Realff, M., and Ammons, J. (2011), Integration of channel decisions in a decentralized reverse production system with retailer collection under deterministic non-stationary demands, Advanced Engineering Informatics, 25(1), 88-102.
- Lee, C. H., Rhee, B.-D., and Cheng, T. C. E. (2013), Quality uncertainty and quality-compensation contract for supply chain coordination, European Journal of Operational Research, 228(3), 582-591. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2013.02.027
- Leng, M. and Parlar, M. (2009), Lead-time reduction in a two-level supply chain: Non-cooperative equilibria vs. coordination with a profit-sharing contract, International Journal of Production Economics, 118(2), 521-544. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2009.01.002
- Li, X., Li, Y. Govindan, K. (2014), An incentive model for closed-loop supply chain under the EPR law, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 65(1), 88-96. https://doi.org/10.1057/jors.2012.179
- Liu, Z. L., Anderson, T. D., and Cruz, J. M. (2012), Consumer environmental awareness and competition in two-stage supply chains, European Journal of Operational Research, 218(3), 602-613. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2011.11.027
- Moon, I. and Choi, S. (1995), The distribution free newsboy problem with balking, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 46(4), 537-542. https://doi.org/10.1057/jors.1995.73
- Moon, I. and Gallego, G. (1994), Distribution free procedures for some inventory models, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 45(6), 651-658. https://doi.org/10.1057/jors.1994.103
- Mukhopadhyay, S. K. and Ma, H. (2009), Joint procurement and production decisions in remanufacturing under quality and demand uncertainty, International Journal of Production Economics, 120(1), 5-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2008.07.032
- Mukhopadhyay, S. K., Yue, X., and Zhu, X. (2011), A Stackelberg model of pricing of complementary goods under information asymmetry, International Journal of Production Economics, 134(2), 424-433. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2009.11.015
- Nagarajan, M. and Sosic, G. (2008), Game-theoretic analysis of cooperation among supply chain agents: review and extensions, European Journal of Operational Research, 187(3), 719-745. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2006.05.045
- Nenes, G., Panagiotidou, S., and Dekker, R. (2010), Inventory control policies for inspection and remanufacturing of returns: a case study, International Journal of Production Economics, 125(2), 300-312. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2010.02.008
- Pokharel, S. and Liang, Y. (2012), A model to evaluate acquisition price and quantity of used products for remanufacturing, International Journal of Production Economics, 138(1), 170-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2012.03.019
- Shi, J., Zhang, G., and Sha, J. (2011), Optimal production planning for a multi-product closed loop system with uncertain demand and return, Computers and Operations Research, 38(3), 641-650. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cor.2010.08.008
- Shi, J., Zhang, G., Sha, J., and Amin, S. H. (2010), Coordinating production and recycling decisions with stochastic demand and return, Journal of Systems Science and Systems Engineering, 19(4), 385-407. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11518-010-5147-5
- Tagaras, G. and Zikopoulos, C. (2008), Optimal location and value of timely sorting of used items in a remanufacturing supply chain with multiple collection sites, International Journal of Production Economics, 115(2), 424-432. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2007.10.026
- Teunter, R. H. and Flapper, S. D. P. (2011), Optimal core acquisition and remanufacturing policies under uncertain core quality fractions, European Journal of Operational Research, 210(2), 241-248.
- Thierry, M. C., Salomon, M., van Nunen, J. A. E. E., and van Wassenhove, L. N. (1995), Strategic issues in product recovery management, California Management Review, 37(2), 114-135. https://doi.org/10.2307/41165792
- Tsay, A. A., Nahmias, S., and Agrawal, N. (1999), Modelling supply chain contracts: a review. In: Tayur, S., Ganeshan, R., and Magazine, M. (eds.), Quantitative Models for Supply Chain Management, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, MA, 299-336.
- Van Wassenhove, L. N. and Zikopoulos, C. (2010), On the effect of quality overestimation in remanufacturing, International Journal of Production Research, 48(18), 5263-5280. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207540903150585
- Veldman, J. and Gaalman, G. (2014), A model of strategic product quality and process improvement incentives, International Journal of Production Economics, 149, 202-210. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2013.03.002
- Watanabe, T., Kusuawa, E., and Arizono, I. (2013), Optimal operation for green supply chain in consideration of collection incentive and quality for recycling of used products. Industrial Engineering and Management Systems, 12(4), 317-329. https://doi.org/10.7232/iems.2013.12.4.317
- Watanabe, T. and Kusukawa, E. (2014) Optimal Operation for Green Supply Chain Considering Demand Information, Collection Incentive and Quality of Recycling Parts, An International Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management Systems, 13, 129-147.
- Wei, C., Li, Y., and Cai, X. (2011), Robust optimal policies of production and inventory with uncertain returns and demand, International Journal of Production Economics, 134(2), 357-367. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2009.11.008
- Wei, J., Zhao, J., and Li, Y. (2012), Pricing decisions for a closed-loop supply chain in a fuzzy environment, Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research, 29 (1), 1240003. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0217595912400039
- Wu, C. H. (2012), Product-design and pricing strategies with remanufacturing, European Journal of Operational Research, 222(2), 204-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2012.04.031
- Xu, J., Jiang, W., Feng, G., and Tian, J. (2012), Comparing improvement strategies for inventory inaccuracy in a two-echelon supply chain, European Journal of Operational Research, 221(1), 213-221. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2012.03.008
- Yan, N. N. and Sun, B. W. (2012), Optimal Stackelberg strategies for closed-loop supply chain with third-party reverse logistics, Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research, 29(5), 1250026. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0217595912500261
- Yano, C. A. and Gilbert, S. M. (2004), Coordinated pricing and production/procurement decisions: a review. In: Chakravarty, A. K. and Eliashberg, J. (eds.), Managing Business Interfaces, Springer, New York, NY, 65-103.
- Yoo, S. H. (2014), Product quality and return policy in a supply chain under risk aversion of a supplier, International Journal of Production Economics, 154, 146-155. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2014.04.012
- Zikopoulos, C. and Tagaras, G. (2007), Impact of uncertainty in the quality of returns on the profitability of a single-period refurbishing operation, European Journal of Operational Research, 182(1), 205-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2006.10.025
- Zikopoulos, C. and Tagaras, G. (2008), On the attractiveness of sorting before disassembly in remanufacturing, IIE Transactions, 40(3), 313-323. https://doi.org/10.1080/07408170701488078
- Two-echelon supply chain model with manufacturing quality improvement and setup cost reduction vol.13, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3934/jimo.2016063
- A distribution free newsvendor model with consignment policy and retailer’s royalty reduction vol.56, pp.15, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2017.1399220
- Modeling green supply chain coordination: current research and future prospects vol.25, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1108/BIJ-10-2017-0275