- Volume 31 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Chemical Analysis Method and Determination of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons Content from Seafood and Dairy Products
- Lee, So-Young (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology and Food and Bio Safety Research Center, Dongguk University Seoul) ;
- Lee, Jee-Yeon (Nutrition Policy & Promotion Team, Korea Health Industry Development Institute) ;
- Shin, Han-Seung (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology and Food and Bio Safety Research Center, Dongguk University Seoul)
- Received : 2015.08.09
- Accepted : 2015.09.23
- Published : 2015.09.30
This study was carried out to investigate contents of 8 polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) from frequently consumed seafood and dairy products and to evaluate their chemical analysis methods. Samples were collected from markets of 9 cities in Korea chosen as the population reference and evaluated. The methodology involved saponification, extraction with n-hexane, clean-up on Sep-Pak silica cartridges and gas chromatograph-mass spectrometry analysis. Validation proceeded on 2 matrices. Recoveries for 8 PAHs ranged from 86.87 to 103.57%. The limit of detection (LOD) 8 PAHs was
Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon;Seafood;Dairy products;Carcinogen
Supported by : Ministry of Food and Drug Safety
- Lawrence, J.F. and Weber, D.F. (1984) Determination of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in some Canadian commercial fish, shellfish, and meat products by liquid chromatography with confirmation by capillary gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. J. Agric. Food Chem., 32, 789-794. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00124a022
- Hodgeson, J.W., Bashe, W.J. and Baker, T.V. (1990) Determination of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in drinking water by liquid-liquid extraction and HPLC with coupled ultraviolet and fluorescence detection. EPA Method 550.1. US Environmental Protection Agency, USA.
- IARC. (1987) IARC Monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans. Overall evaluations of carcinogenicity: an updating of IARC Monographs. International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France. pp. 1-440.
- IARC. (2010) IARC Monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans. Some non-heterocyclic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and some related exposures. IARC, 92, 1-853.
- EC. (2006) Commission regulation (EC) No.1881/2006 of 19 December 2006 setting maximum levels for certain contaminants in foodstuffs. Off. J. Eur. Union, L364, 365-323.
- EFSA. (2008) Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in food. Scientific opinion of the panel on contaminants in the food chain. EFSA J., 724, 1-114.
- EFSA. (2008) Findings of the EFSA data collection on polycyclicaromatichydrocarbons in food. EFSA, Parma, pp. 1-55.
- Wretling, S., Eriksson, A., Eskhult, G.A. and Larsson, B. (2010) Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in Swedish smoked meat and fish. J. Food Compos. Anal., 23, 264-272. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2009.10.003
- Harvey, G.R. (1998) Environmental chemistry of PAHs. In: the handbook of environmental (Alasdair, H., Neilson, ed.). Springer, Berlin, pp. 2-10.
- Kobayashi, R., Cahill, T.M., Okamoto, R.A., Maddalena, R.L. and Kado, N.Y. (2007) Controlled exposure chamber study of uptake and clearance of airborne polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by wheat grain environ. Environ. Sci. Technol., 41, 7934-7940. https://doi.org/10.1021/es071459x
- Alomirach, H., Al-Zenki, S., Al-Hooti, S., Zaghloul, S., Sawaya, W., Ahmed, N. and Kannan, K. (2011) Concentrations and dietary exposure to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) from grilled and smoked foods. Food Control, 22, 2028-2035. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2011.05.024
- Rey-Salgueiro, L., Garcia-Falcon, M.S., Mariinez-Carballo, E. and Simal-Gandara, J. (2008) Effects of toasting procedures on the levels of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in toasted bread. Food Chem., 108, 607-615. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.11.026
- Wenzl, T., Simon, R., Anklam, E. and Kleiner, J. (2006) Analytical methods for polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in food and the environment needed for new food legislation in the European Union. TrAC Trends Anal. Chem., 25, 716-725. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trac.2006.05.010
- DouAbul, A.A.Z., Heba, H.M.A. and Fareed, K.H. (1997) Polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in fish fromthe red sea coast of yemen. Hydrobiologia, 352, 251-262. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1003048011029
- Dhananjayan, V. and Muralidharan, S. (2012) Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in various species of fishes from mumbai harbour, India, and their dietary intake concentration to human. Int. J. Oceanogr., 2012, 1-6.
- Lawrence, J.F. and Weber, D.F. (1984) Determination of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in Canadian samples of processed vegetable and dairy products by liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection. J. Agric. Food Chem., 32, 794-797. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00124a023
- Cho, H.K. and Shin, H.S. (2012) Evaluation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon contents and risk assessment for infant formula in Korea. Food Sci. Biotechnol., 21, 1329-1334. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-012-0175-1
- Rohrlich, M. and Suckow, P. (1970) Untersuchungen uber 3,4-benzypyren in getreide und getreidemahlprodukten. Getreide Mehl, 20, 90-93.
- Aguinaga, N., Campillo, N., Vinas, P. and Hernandez-Cordoba, M. (2007) Determination of 16 polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in milk and related products using solid-phase microextraction coupled to gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. Anal. Chim. Acta, 596, 285-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2007.06.005
- Evaluation of gas freshness indicator for determination of skate (Raja kenojei) quality during storage vol.25, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-016-0232-2
- Analysis of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon (PAH) Mixtures Using Diffusion-Ordered NMR Spectroscopy and Adsorption by Powdered Activated Carbon and Biochar vol.11, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/ma11040460
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in milk and dairy products pp.1364727X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/1471-0307.12567
- Cyclodextrin-Promoted Fluorescence Detection of Aromatic Toxicants and Toxicant Metabolites in Commercial Milk Products vol.11, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12161-018-1228-8