- Volume 21 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Social Tagging-based Recommendation Platform for Patented Technology Transfer
특허의 기술이전 활성화를 위한 소셜 태깅기반 지적재산권 추천플랫폼
- Park, Yoon-Joo (Department of Business Administration, Seoul National University of Science and Technology)
- 박윤주 (서울과학기술대학교 글로벌경영학과)
- Received : 2015.08.30
- Accepted : 2015.09.03
- Published : 2015.09.30
Korea has witnessed an increasing number of domestic patent applications, but a majority of them are not utilized to their maximum potential but end up becoming obsolete. According to the 2012 National Congress' Inspection of Administration, about 73% of patents possessed by universities and public-funded research institutions failed to lead to creating social values, but remain latent. One of the main problem of this issue is that patent creators such as individual researcher, university, or research institution lack abilities to commercialize their patents into viable businesses with those enterprises that are in need of them. Also, for enterprises side, it is hard to find the appropriate patents by searching keywords on all such occasions. This system proposes a patent recommendation system that can identify and recommend intellectual rights appropriate to users' interested fields among a rapidly accumulating number of patent assets in a more easy and efficient manner. The proposed system extracts core contents and technology sectors from the existing pool of patents, and combines it with secondary social knowledge, which derives from tags information created by users, in order to find the best patents recommended for users. That is to say, in an early stage where there is no accumulated tag information, the recommendation is done by utilizing content characteristics, which are identified through an analysis of key words contained in such parameters as 'Title of Invention' and 'Claim' among the various patent attributes. In order to do this, the suggested system extracts only nouns from patents and assigns a weight to each noun according to the importance of it in all patents by performing TF-IDF analysis. After that, it finds patents which have similar weights with preferred patents by a user. In this paper, this similarity is called a "Domain Similarity". Next, the suggested system extract technology sector's characteristics from patent document by analyzing the international technology classification code (International Patent Classification, IPC). Every patents have more than one IPC, and each user can attach more than one tag to the patents they like. Thus, each user has a set of IPC codes included in tagged patents. The suggested system manages this IPC set to analyze technology preference of each user and find the well-fitted patents for them. In order to do this, the suggeted system calcuates a 'Technology_Similarity' between a set of IPC codes and IPC codes contained in all other patents. After that, when the tag information of multiple users are accumulated, the system expands the recommendations in consideration of other users' social tag information relating to the patent that is tagged by a concerned user. The similarity between tag information of perferred 'patents by user and other patents are called a 'Social Simialrity' in this paper. Lastly, a 'Total Similarity' are calculated by adding these three differenent similarites and patents having the highest 'Total Similarity' are recommended to each user. The suggested system are applied to a total of 1,638 korean patents obtained from the Korea Industrial Property Rights Information Service (KIPRIS) run by the Korea Intellectual Property Office. However, since this original dataset does not include tag information, we create virtual tag information and utilized this to construct the semi-virtual dataset. The proposed recommendation algorithm was implemented with JAVA, a computer programming language, and a prototype graphic user interface was also designed for this study. As the proposed system did not have dependent variables and uses virtual data, it is impossible to verify the recommendation system with a statistical method. Therefore, the study uses a scenario test method to verify the operational feasibility and recommendation effectiveness of the system. The results of this study are expected to improve the possibility of matching promising patents with the best suitable businesses. It is assumed that users' experiential knowledge can be accumulated, managed, and utilized in the As-Is patent system, which currently only manages standardized patent information.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Baik, J., S. Kim, and S. Lee, "Extracting alternative word candidates for patent information search," Journal of KIISE: Computing Practices and Letters, Vol. 15, No. 4(2009), 299-303.
- Chae, M., M. Kang, and Y. Kim, "Documents recommendation using large citation data," Journal of the Korean Data Information Science Society, Vol. 24, No.5(2013), 999-1011. https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2013.24.5.999
- Cho, I. and N. Kim, "Recommending core and connecting keywords of research area using social network and data mining techniques," Journal of Intelligence and Information Systems", Vol. 17, No. 1(2011), 127-138.
- Guan, Z., C. Wang, J. Bu, C. Chen, K. Yang, D. Cai, and X. He, "Document recommendation in social tagging services," Proceedings of the 19th international conference on World wide web, ACM New York, (2010), 391-400.
- Hestenes, M. R., "Inversion of matrices by biorthogonalization and related results," Journal of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 6, No.1(1958), 51-90. https://doi.org/10.1137/0106005
- Hotho, A., R. Jaschke, C. Schmitz, and G. Stumme,"FolkRank: A ranking algorithm for folksonomies,"Proceeding of FGIR, (2006).
- Jannach, D., M. Zanker, A. Felfernig, and G. Friedrich, Recommender systems: an introduction, Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- Jeon, B. and H. Ahn, "A Collaborative Filtering System Combined with Users' Review Mining: Application to the Recommendation of Smartphone Apps", Journal of Intelligence and Information Systems, Vol. 21, No. 2 (2015), 1-18. https://doi.org/10.13088/jiis.2015.21.2.01
- Jeong, D., J. Kim, G.-N. Kim, J.-U. Heo, B.-W. On, and M. Kang, "A Proposal of a Keyword Extraction System for Detecting Social Issues", Journal of Intelligence and Information Systems, Vol. 19, No. 3(2013), 1-23. https://doi.org/10.13088/jiis.2013.19.3.001
- Kim, S., H.-J. Kim, and I.-K. Han, "SNS news Recommendation by Using Cosine Similarity," Annual Conference on Human and Language Technology, (2013), 163-166.
- Liu, D.-R., C.-H. Lai, and C.-W. Huang, "Document recommendation for knowledge sharing in personal folder environments," Journal of Systems and Software, Vol. 81, No. 8(2008), 1377-1388. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2007.10.027
- Nagori, R. and G. Aghila, "LDA based integrated document recommendation model for e-learning systems," 2011 International Conference on Emerging Trends in Networks and Computer Communications (ETNCC), (2011), 230-233.
- Noll, M. G. and C. Meinel, "Exploring social annotations for web document classification," Proceedings of the 2008 ACM symposium on Applied computing, (2008), 2315-2320.
- Park, H. and S. Rho, "A folksonomy ranking framework: A semantic graph-based approach," Asia Pacific Journal of Information Systems, Vol. 21, No.2(2011), 89-116.
- Park, Y. J., "An Adaptive Match-Making System reflecting the explicit and implicit preferences of users," Expert systems with applications, Vol. 40, No.4 (2013), 1196-1204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2012.08.019
- Pazzani, M. J. and D. Billsus, "Content-based recommendation systems," Lecture notes in computer science, Vol.4321(2007), 325-341. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-72079-9_10
- Provost, F. and T. Fawcett, Data Science for Business, O'Reilly, 2013.
- Son, K. J. and S. J. Lee, "Weighting methods for compound nouns in patent retrieval system," Proceedings of the KIISE 04 spring conference, Vol.31, No.4(2004), 895-897.
- Strohman, T., W. Croft, and D. Jensen, "Recommending citations for academic papers," Proceedings of the 30th Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, (2007), 705-706.
- Trappey, A. J., C. Y. Fan, C. V. Trappey, Y.-L. Lin, and C.-Y. Wu, "Intelligent recommendation methodology and system for patent search," 2012 IEEE 16th International Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work in Design (CSCWD), 172-178.
- Trappey, A. J., C. V. Trappey, C.-Y. Wu, and C.-W. Lin, "A patent quality analysis for innovative technology and product development," Advanced Engineering Informatics, Vol. 26, No.1(2012), 26-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aei.2011.06.005
- You, Mee, "A keyword affinity-based text recommender system for e-mail classification," Ph.D. Dissertation, KyungHee University, 2005.
- Wu, H., M. Zubair, and K. Maly, "Harvesting social knowledge from folksonomies," Proceedings of the seventeenth conference on Hypertext and hypermedia, (2006), 111-114.