- Volume 20 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Efficiency of a hybrid solid digestion-denitrification column in suspended solid and nitrate removal from recirculating aquaculture system
- Pungrasmi, Wiboonluk (Department of Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Chulalongkorn University) ;
- Chaisri, Ratchadaporn (Department of Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Chulalongkorn University) ;
- Malaphol, Ekachai (Center of Excellence for Marine Biotechnology, Department of Marine Science, Faculty of Science, Chulalongkorn University) ;
- Powtongsook, Sorawit (Center of Excellence for Marine Biotechnology, Department of Marine Science, Faculty of Science, Chulalongkorn University)
- Received : 2014.07.21
- Accepted : 2015.04.28
- Published : 2015.06.30
This research focused on the solid and nitrate removal efficiency in a solid digestion-denitrification column. The 20 L up-flow column consisted of 18 L acrylic column with 2 L down-comer inlet tube located in the middle. In the first part, the wastewater with high suspended solids from the Tilapia fish tank was applied into the sedimentation unit at 5 variable flow rates i.e., 11.25, 25.71, 60, 105.88 and 360 L/h. The results indicated that the flow rate of 11.25 L/h (0.57 m/h) gave the highest solid removal efficiency of
Denitrification;Hybrid column;Nitrate;Recirculating aquaculture system;Sedimentation;Solid digestion
- Lawson TB. Fundamentals of aquaculture engineering. Massachusetts: Kluwer Academic Publishers; 2002.
- Arbiv R, van Rijn J. Performance of a treatment system for inorganic nitrogen removal from intensive aquaculture systems. Aquac. Eng. 1995;14:189-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/0144-8609(94)P4435-E
- Cripps SJ, Bergheim A. Solids management and removal for intensive land-based aquaculture production systems. Aquac. Eng. 2000;22:33-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0144-8609(00)00031-5
- Timmons MB, Ebeling JM, Wheaton FW, Summerfelt ST, Vinci BJ. Recirculating aquaculture systems. 2nd ed. New York: Cayuca Aqua Ventures; 2002.
- Crab R, Avnimelech Y, Defoirdt T, Bossier P, Verstraete W. Nitrogen removal techniques in aquaculture for a sustainable production. Aquaculture 2007;270:1-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2007.05.006
- Nootong K. Nitrogen treatment in closed-system aquaculture. J. King Mongkut's Institute of Technol. Ladkrabang. 2008;16: 11-12.
- Gutierrez-Wing MT, Malone RF. Biological filters in aquaculture: Trends and research directions for freshwater and marine applications. Aquac. Eng. 2006;34:163-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaeng.2005.08.003
- Rivett MO, Buss SR, Morgan P, Smith JWN, Bemment CD. Nitrate attenuation in groundwater: A review of biogeochemical controlling processes. Water Res. 2008;42:4215-4232. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2008.07.020
- Mokhayeri Y, Riffat R, Takacs I, et al. Characterizing denitrification kinetics at cold Temperature using various carbon sources in lab-scale sequencing batch reactors. Water Sci. Technol. 2008;58:233-238. https://doi.org/10.2166/wst.2008.670
- Magram SF. Drinking water denitrification in a packed bed anoxic reactor: effect of carbon source and reactor depth. J. Appl. Sci. 2010;10:558-563. https://doi.org/10.3923/jas.2010.558.563
- Menasveta P, Panritdam T, Sihanonth P, Powtongsook S, Chuntapa B, Lee P. Design and function of a closed, recirculating seawater system with denitrification for the culture of black tiger shrimp broodstock. Aquac. Eng. 2001;25:35-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0144-8609(01)00069-3
- Lee PG, Lea RN, Dohmann E, et al. Denitrification in aquaculture systems: an example of a fuzzy logic control problem. Aquac. Eng. 2000;23:37-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0144-8609(00)00046-7
- Singer A, Parnes S, Gross A, Sagi A, Brenner A. A novel approach to denitrification processes in a zero-discharge recirculating system for small-scale urban aquaculture. Aquac. Eng. 2008;39: 72-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaeng.2008.07.001
- Pungrasmi W, Playchoom C, Powtongsook S. Optimization and evaluation of a bottom substrate denitrification tank for nitrate removal from a recirculating aquaculture system. J. Environ. Sci. 2013;25:1557-1564. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1001-0742(12)60248-4
- Aboutboul Y, Arviv R, van Rijn J. Anaerobic treatment of intensive fish culture effluents: volatile fatty acid mediated denitrification. Aquaculture 1995;133:21-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/0044-8486(94)00385-2
- Tal Y, Schreier HJ, Sower KR, Stubblefield JD, Place AR, Zohar Y. Environmentally sustainable land -based marine aquaculture. Aquaculture 2009;286:28-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2008.08.043
- APHA, AWWA, WEF. Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater. 21st ed. Washington DC: American Public Health Association; 2005.
- APHA, AWWA, WEF. Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater. 18th ed. Maryland, USA: American Public Health Association; 1992.
- Nurit S. Development of solid separating unit and the effect of solid to water quality in closed aquaculture system. [Thesis]. Bangkok: Chulalongkorn Univ.; 2011.
- Suttisri R. Efficiency of closed recirculating seawater system for an indoor super-intensive shrimp culture. [Thesis]. Bangkok: Chulalongkorn Univ.; 2006.
- Kaviraj A, Bhunia F, Saha NC. Toxicity of methanol to fish, crustacean, oligochaete worm and aquatic ecosystem. Int. J. Toxicol. 2004;23:55-63.
- van Rjin J, Tal Y, Schreier HJ. Denitrification in recirculating systems: Theory and applications. Aquac. Eng. 2006;34: 364-376. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaeng.2005.04.004
- Surampalli RY, Tyagi KD. Advances in Water and Wastewater Treatment. Virginia: American Society of Civil Engineers; 2004.