- Volume 26 Issue 3
Objectives: The purpose of this study is to investigate the research about using tuina therapy for depression and to determine its efficacy. Methods: All relevant articles were searched in the China National Knowledge Infrastructure using the terms 'tuina' and 'depression'. Results: Forty-one studies were selected, 34 randomized controlled trials (RCTs) and 7 prospective studies. The Chinese Classification of Mental Disorders and Hamilton Depression Rating Scale were used most frequently as diagnostic criteria and an assessment tool, respectively. Conduction exercise therapy was used in all studies; in contrast, Zheng Xing exercise therapy was used in only 1 study of depression patients with neck vertebrae disease. In 9 RCTs that showed scores of more than 2 points on a modified Jadad scale, tuina therapy had significant antidepressant efficacy compared with conventional treatment. However, more high-quality studies are required. Conclusions: Tuina therapy has a valid therapeutic effect on depression according to studies published in China; if evidence accumulates from high-quality studies, it can be considered a non-pharmacologic treatment for depression in Korean medicine, as well.
Massage;Tuina;Depression;Korean medicine;Traditional Chinese medicine
- Gu JY, Cheng JP. 30 cases of supportive traditional Chinese life nurturing for depression. Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2013;54(14):1235-6. (the title was translated from '中醫養生療法輔助治療抑鬱症30例')
- Guo ZM, Wang DY, Li YH, Xiao YQ, Guo SD. Efficacy of the Three Part Massage on Depression: A Clinical Observation of 30 Cases. Guiding Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Pharmacy. 2014;20(8):100-2.
- Xing K, Ai M. 120 cases of massage for nourishing the heart to tranquilize and soothing the liver for depression. China Journal of Pharmaceutical Economics. 2014;87-8. (the title was translated from '養心安神疏肝推拿法治療抑鬱症120例療效觀察')
- Yao CL. Clinical study on acupuncture with head and facial massage on the treatment of Liver depression and qi stagnation type depression. Changchun University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Master's thesis of Acupuncture and Moxibustion and Tuina of Chinese medicine. 2014.
- Zheng BQ, Zhu XY, Jin BB, Lv HF. Effect of point massage on rehabilitation of inpatients with depression. Nursing and Rehabilitation Journal. 2015;14(6):506-8.
- Fu YZ. Effect of emotional nursing combined with point massage on rehabilitation of patients with postpartum depression. Nursing and Rehabilitation Journal. 2009; 8(6):463-5.
- Jing LJ. Empirical study of comprehensive therapy in traditional Chinese medicine for postpartum depression. Clinical Journal of Chinese Medicine. 2012;4(12):75. (the title was translated from '中醫綜合療法治療產後抑鬱體會')
- Cheng SM, Ai CQ. Clinical study of massage nursing combined with psychotherapy for postpartum depression. Guiding Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Pharmacy. 2015;7:100-2. (the title was translated from '按摩護理和心理療法治療產褥期抑鬱症患者的臨床觀察')
- Yu LJ. Clinical study of traditional Chinese medicine nursing for Parkinson's diseases with depression. Guangming Journal of Chinese Medicine. 2014;29(4):823-4. (the title was translated from '帕金森病伴抑鬱的中醫護理觀察')
- Ren XY, Jia Q. Clinical study of traditional herbal medicine combined with massage for post stroke depression. Shanxi Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2008; 24:37-8. (the title was translated from '中藥配合推拿治療中風後抑鬱療效觀察')
- Zhang WG, Shan SQ, Zheng SF, Hou FQ, Xue BL, Zhou XF, Yu L. Study on combining traditional Chinese massage with exercise and psychological intervention to increase the social fitness among patients with depressive disorder. Chinese Journal of Convalescent Medicine. 2012;21(1):1-3.
- Zheng MF. Curative effect of integrated shallow insertion and Chinese massage in treating affective disorders: analysis of the effect on 77 cases. Chinese Journal of Clinical Rehabilitation. 2004;8(30):6674-5.
- Sherman KJ, Ludman EJ, Cook AJ, Hawkes RJ, Roy-Byrne PP, Bentley S, Brooks MZ, Cherkin DC. Effectiveness of therapeutic massage for generalized anxiety disorder: a randomized controlled trial. Depress Anxiety. 2010;27(5):441-50. https://doi.org/10.1002/da.20671
- Coelho HF, Boddy K, Ernst E. Massage therapy for the treatment of depression: a systematic review. Int J Clin Pract. 2008;62(2):325-33.
- Oliveira DS, Hachul H, Goto V, Tufik S, Bittencourt LR. Effect of therapeutic massage on insomnia and climacteric symptoms in postmenopausal women. Climacteric. 2012;15(1):21-9. https://doi.org/10.3109/13697137.2011.587557
- Lim SW, Shin EH. Non-Pharmacological Treatment for Depression in Primary Care. Korean J Fam Pract. 2012; 2:30-5.
- Karp JF, Buysse DJ, Houck PR, Cherry C, Kupfer DJ, Frank E. Relationship of variability in residual symptoms with recurrence of major depressive disorder during maintenance treatment. Am J Psychiatry. 2004;161: 1877-84. https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.161.10.1877
- Kang HC, Lee SG. The Trends in Clinical Trials about Effects of Acupuncture on Anxiety, Depression and Mental Stress - In Medline, Pubmedcentral & Oriental Medicine Journal since 2004 -. J. of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2009;20(4):137-48.
- Park BG. Effects of an Acupuncture Program on Activities of Daily Living, Depression, and Life Satisfaction in the Institutionalized Elderly People. J. of Welfare for the Aged. 2008;40:249-86.
- White AR, Ernst E. A systematic review of randomized controlled trials of acupuncture for neck pain. Rheumatology (Oxford). 1999;38(2):143-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/38.2.143
- Dept. of Rehabilitation Medicine in College of Korean Medicine in Nation. Oriental Rehabilitation medicine. Seoul: Seowondang. 1995:273.
- Marta IE, Baldan SS, Berton AF, Pavam M, da Silva MJ. The effectiveness of therapeutic touch on pain, depression and sleep in patients with chronic pain: clinical trial. Rev Esc Enferm USP. 2010;44(4):1100-6. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0080-62342010000400035
- World Health Organization Western Pacific Region. WHO international standard terminologies on traditional medicine in the Western pacific region. 2007:230.
- Kwon OB, Song YK, Lim HH, Lee JS. A Review of Journals on the spinal manipulation treatment applied to internal disease. The Journal of Korea massage Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2006;1(2):61-72.
- Poland RE, Gertsik L, Favreau JT, Smith SI, Mirocha JM, Rao U, Daar ES. Open-label, randomized, parallel-group controlled clinical trial of massage for treatment of depression in HIV-infected subjects. J Altern Complement Med. 2013;19(4):334-40. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2012.0058
- Zhai H, Xiang B, Han C. The meridians acupuncture in the treatment of senile depression. Journal of Changchun University of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2014;30(6): 1118-9.
- Jiang N, Hu HF, Jiang Y. Clinical study of reminiscence therapy combined with acupoints massage for community of empty nest elderly with depressive symptom. Chinese Journal of Gerontology. 2014;10(34):5893-4. (the title was translated from '懷舊治療配合穴位按摩對社區空巢老人抑鬱症狀的影響')
- Cuo QF, Li CP, Zhang YH. Clinical study of comprehensive treatment for diabetic patients with depression and anxiety. Journal of Practical Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2009;25(11):723-4. (the title was translated from '綜合治療糖尿病伴抑鬱焦慮療效觀察')
- Zhang YH. 34 cases of acupoints massage nursing for end stage renal disease with depressive disorder. Journal of Bengbu Medical College. 2010;35(9):968-9. (the title was translated from '穴位按摩改善終末期腎病合並抑鬱障礙34例護理觀察')
- Tan J, Pei YH, Wu YF. Clinical study of Chinese medicine combined internal and external treatment for depression with neck vertebrae disease. Shanxi Medical University, Master's thesis of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine. 2013. (the title was translated from '中醫內外結合治療抑鬱發作伴頸椎病臨床療效觀察')
- Xi XD. The Clinical Study about the Effect of Massage with Ointment on Curing Depression Sleep Disorder. Shandong University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Master's thesis of Acupuncture and Moxibustion and Tuina of Chinese medicine. 2006.
- Wang XD. The Effect of Soothing the Liver Stagnation in the Treatment to Insomnia. ChangChun University of Chinese Medicine, Master's thesis of Acupuncture and Moxibustion and Tuina of Chinese medicine. 2012.
- Zhuang ZJ, Wang CR. Treatment of poststroke depression by "Zhisanzhen" combined with digital point pressure and massage. Chinese Acupuncture & Moxibustion. 2004;24(11):800-2.
- Xiao H, Zhang GQ, Wang L, Bao QH. Clinical study of emotional nursing combined with acupoints massage for stroke patients with depression. Chinese Journal of Nursing. 2008;43(1):77-9.
- Zhao JW, Xu F, Zhao HJ. A study on combined rehabilitation in treating cerebral stroke complicated with depression in elderly patients. Chinese Journal of Convalescent Medicine. 2010;19(8):691-2.
- Meng QF, Chen QH, Liang T, Sun SS. Curative effect of hyperbaric oxygen with massage and Citalopram to treat post-stroke depression. Chinese Journal of Convalescent Medicine. 2013;22(4):393-4.
- Xaio BY, Cai XY. Clinical study of relaxation therapy combined with acupoints massage for post stroke depression. Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine on Cardio-/Cerebrovascular Disease. 2013;11(5):639-40. (the title was translated from '穴位按摩及放松療法對腦卒中抑鬱患者的治療作用')
- Liang CN, Pan LP. Clinical study of nursing with psychotherapy based on traditional Chinese medicine for post stroke depression. Hainan Medical Journal. 2013;24(17): 2637-8. (the title was translated from '傳統心理療法在中風後抑鬱患者護理中應用的效果觀察')
- Du F, Liao XM. The effects of traditional Chinese medicine mental nursing on the quality of life for post stroke depression. Hebei Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2015;37(5):773-4. (the title was translated from '中醫情志護理對卒中後抑鬱患者生活質量的影響')
- Huang L, Chen Y, Luo Z, He H, Liu W, Liao S, Yu F, Zhao Hn, Cai L. Effect of aromatherapy massage during puerperium on postpartum depression. Journal of Nursing Science. 2011;26(12):40-1.
- Yang YQ. Clinical study of burying seeds on ear points combined with acupoints massage for postpartum depression. The Journal of Medical Theory and Practice. 2012;25(18):2284. (the title was translated from '耳穴埋籽加穴位按摩輔助治療產後抑鬱症的臨床觀察')
- Liao SL, Huang LY, Luo Z, Zhao HL, Lu HN, Peng DS. Clinical study of aromatherapy massage for postpartum depression. Heilongjiang Medical Journal. 2012;36(6): 462-3. (the title was translated from '香薰按摩減輕產後抑鬱症的臨床應用')
- Ren FF, Liu M, Wang Y. Evaluation of effect of massage therapy on patients with postpartum depression. Maternal and Child Health Care of China. 2013;28:2692.
- Qiu YL. The influence of psychological nursing intervention combined with massage on postpartum depression of patients. Journal of Clinical Medicine in Practice. 2015; 19(2):77-8.
- Zheng SH, Qu YJ, Jiao JK, Wei LL, Ren R, Cui X. Observation of depression in peri-menopausal period treated by combination of manipulative therapy and medication. Hebei Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2010; 32(8):1208-9.
- Xu JM, Wang W, Zhu SM, Zhou UY, Lian ZM. Application of silence method combined with massage in co-morbid anxiety and depression for patients with acute myocardial infarctio Nursing and Rehabilitation Journal. 2012; 11(7):607-9.
- Fang GZ. Influence of acupoint massage, auricular-plaster therapy combined with emotional nursing on depression in patients with cirrhosis ascites. China Modern Medicine. 2013;20(29):123-6.
- Zhu W, Yang YY, Jiang ZY, Song FY, Wang LE, Ji B. Effects of Sedative Care on Maintenance Hemodialysis Patients with Depressive Insomnia Status. Nurs J Chin PLA. 2014:31(9):39-42.
- Yuan MH, Li GS. Curative effect of acupoints massage for depression. Medical Journal of Chinese People's Health. 2007;19(3):226-8. (the title was translated from '穴位按摩對抑鬱症患者康複療效的觀察')
- Zhang J, Chen Z. Controlled Clinical Trials on Treatment of Depression with Tuina or Deanxit. J. Acupunct. Tuina. Sci. 2009;7:207-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11726-009-0207-4
- Wang SH, Yang LX, Cui X. The effects of electro-acupuncture combined with facial massage for depression. Journal of Emergency in Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2009;18(1):41-2, 48. (the title was translated from '電針結合頭面部圍剿按摩對抑鬱症細胞因子的影響')
- Tan YF. Clinical study of therapeutic manipulation for soothing the liver, fortifying the spleen and making free the collateral vessels for mild depression. Beijing University of Chinese Medicine, Master's thesis of Acupuncture and Moxibustion and Tuina of Chinese medicine. 2011. (the title was translated from '疏肝健脾通絡手法治療輕度抑鬱症的臨床療效觀察')
- Tan T, Wang JG, Sun Q. Clinical Observation of Therapy of Integrated Traditional Chinese and Western Medicine on Depressive Disorder. Shanxi Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2012;28(9):16-8.
- Yang DH, Tan YF, Cheng YZ. 36 cases of acupuncture combined with facial massage for depression with the pattern of liver depression and qi stagnation. Journal of Changchun University of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2012;28(6):1074. (the title was translated from '針刺配合頭面部推拿治療肝鬱氣滯型抑鬱症36例')
Supported by : Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine