- Volume 32 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Sociopsychological factors associated with depressive symptoms among some urban middle-aged men and women: focused on social support and stress coping strategy
대도시 일부 중년 남녀의 우울증상과 관련된 사회심리적 요인: 사회적 지지와 스트레스 대처방식을 중심으로
- Jeon, Seo-Heui (Department of Health Education & Management, Graduate School of Ewha Womans University) ;
- Park, Kyoung Ok (Department of Health Education & Management in Ewha Womans University)
- Received : 2015.07.30
- Accepted : 2015.09.13
- Published : 2015.09.30
Objectives: The aim of this study was to identify the associations with social support, stress coping strategy and depression among some urban middle-aged men and women. Methods: Considering the regional distribution 4 districts of Seoul were conveniently selected for this study and a total of 329 middle-aged men and women participated in the self-administered survey. The survey questionaries included social support, stress coping strategy, depression and general characteristics. Results: Avoidance and problem solving strategies were significant independent variables to the men's depression scores, but social support was not significant. However middle aged female's social support more explained the variance of the depression scores than the problem solving strategy. Conclusions: Significant sociopsychological factors that affected middle-aged depression were different by sex and according to the results, stress coping strategy for men and social support for woman were significant factors on depression control in urban middle-aged population.
- Amirkhan, J. H. (1990). A factor analytically derived measure of coping: The coping strategy indicator. Journal of personality and social psychology, 59(5), 1066. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1996
- Byeon, W. J., & Kim, C. K. (2006). A Study on the relevant variables of middle-aged women's depression. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 44(7), 125-139.
- Choi, M. K., & Lee, Y. H. (2010). Depression, powerlessness, social support, and socioeconomic status in middle aged adults. The Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 19(2), 196-204. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2010.19.2.196
- Choi, M. K. (2013). School bullying victimization, health status and stress coping behavior of middle school students. The Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, 30(3), 25-34.
- Cohen, S., & Wills, T. A. (1985). Social support and the buffering hypothesis. Psychological Bulletin, 98, 310-357. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.98.2.310
- Eom, H. J., & Jeon, H. J. (2014). Predictive factors for mid-aged male and female adults' suicidal ideation. The Journal of Mental Health & Social Work, 42(2), 35-62.
- Han, K. H., Lee, J. H., & Ok, S. H. (2002). Gender, social roles and mental health in mid-life. The Journal of Korean Gerontological Society, 20(2). 209-225
- Han, K, H., Kim, J. H., & Kim, K. M. (2003). Supportive and conflictual social networks and mental health of the middle-aged in Korea : does it vary by gender. The Journal of Korean Gerontological Society, 23(2). 155-170
- Hong, J. Y., & Yun, M. (2013). The effect of spirituality on happiness and depression of women in midlife. The Journal of Korean Psychological Association, 18(1), 219-242.
- Heo, M. R., & Im, S. B. (2012). Depression and health promoting behavior depending on the climacteric symptoms of middle-aged male workers. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Occupational Health Nursing, 21(3), 239-246. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.239
- Heo, J. E.. & Tae, Y. S. (2014). Influence of spiritual wellbeing and social support on depression in middle-aged women. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, 26(2), 181-190. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.2.181
- Im, J. O. (1998). A study about factors affecting the somatization symptoms of the middle aged woman : focus on the stress experience, stress perception, stress coping method. M.S(c). Ewha University. Graduate school.
- Jang, H. S. (2013). Development Psychology (5th ed.). Paju: Yangseowon.
- Jeong, M. S., & Song, J. H. (2011). A study of middle-aged womens leisure activity, social support, health status. The Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, 18(1), 97-106.
- Jeong, S. H. (2012). A study on the impact of life stress and social support of middle-aged women on their mental health .M.S(c). KyungHee University. Graduate school of Public Administration.
- Jo, S. K., & Choi, Y. S. (2014). Effects of stress and coping style on depression and anxiety of male and female university students. Journal of Korean Family Therapy, 22(1), 53-74.
- Kang, M. S., Chun, Y. J., & Sohn, T. H. (2008). Work and family related stress and suicidal ideation among the middle-aged married men in Korea. Journal of Family Relations, 13(1), 105-134.
- Kim, S. A. (2011). The impacts of self-esteem and social support on mental health of the middle-age women. The Journal of Korean Society of Gerontological Social Welfare, 52, 109-129.
- Kim, S. O. (2000). A study of self-efficacy, social support, health promoting lifestyle profile for middle aged men. Collection of Journal-Dongnam Health University, 18(2), 177-186.
- Kim, Y. H., & Park, J. Y. (2001). A study about stressors that middle-aged men go through and coping behavior. The Journal of Korean Home Management Association, 19(6), 157-172.
- Kim, S. Y. (2002). A study on the relationship between emotional labor and depressive symptoms among Korean industrial service employees. Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 14(3), 227-235.
- Kim, O. S., Kim, E. J., Kim, S. H., & Beak, S. H. (2003). Fatigue, depression and seep in young and middle-aged adults. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 33(5), 618-624.
- Kwon, J. H., & Yu, S. E. (1997). The effects of perfectionism, social support, stress, and coping style on depression in the middle-aged woman. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 16(2), 67-84.
- Lazarus, R., & Folkman, S. (1984). Stress, appraisal, and coping. New York: Springer.
- Lee, K. J. (1997). Stress, social support, and behavior problems of adolescents. Ph. D. Jeonnam University.
- Lee, M. J., & Shin, H. S. (2006). Job stress coping strategies of middle-aged men. Dongduk Journal of Life Science Studies, 11, 75-83.
- Lee, M. U., & Park, H. J. (2013). A Study on late-onset of hypogonadism, erectile dysfunction, depression, and quality of life among middle-aged male worker. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, 25(5), 483-493. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.5.483
- Lee, B. I., Jeong, H. S., Kim, S. R., & Lee, K. Y. (2004). Factors influencing depression with emotional labor among workers in the service industry. The Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 15(4), 566-576
- Lee, H. Y., & Jeon, H. S.(2011). A study on subjective happiness, Life satisfaction expectancy, mindfulness and social support of the marital middle-aged women. Journal of Asian Women, 11(7), 275-284.
- No, M. O., & Park, K. R. (2006). The influence of life stresses and coping behavior of the middle-aged working men on their psychological well-being. The Journal of Korean Association of Human Ecology, 2006(single volume), 155-156.
- O, M. J., Kim, B. U., & Kim, M. R. (2008). The relationship between housewives' life stress and coping style of middle-aged women: The moderating effects of social support. The Journal of Korean Psychological Association, 13(4), 499-520.
- Park, J. W. (1985). A study for social support measure development. M.S(c). Yonsei University.
- Park, S. M. (2009). Social support of middle-aged women, life stress and self-esteem effect on depression. M.S(c). DongA University.
- Park, H. S., Kim, S. K., & Jo, K. Y. (2003). A study on climacteric symptoms, depression and quality of life in middle-aged women. The Journal of Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 9(4), 479-488.
- Ross, C. E. (2000). Neighborhood disadvantage and adult depression. Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 41(2), 177-187. https://doi.org/10.2307/2676304
- Shin, K. R., Kang, Y. H., & Kim, M. J. (2010). Correlates of depression in the community dwelling middle aged women. Korean Academic Society of Womens Health, 11(1), 1-22.
- Shin, H. J., & Kim, C. D. (2002). A validation study of coping strategy indicator(CSI). Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychology, 14(4), 919-935.
- Shin, H. S. (1995). A study of menopause experience. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 25(4), 807-824.
- Song. S. J. (2002). The relationship between the coping patterns of middle-aged life and one's emotional crisis. M. A. Sogang University. Graduate School of Education.
- Youn, H. H., & Kim, M. J. (1994). The stress, coping behavior and well-being of older adults. The Journal of Korean Gerontological Society, 14(1), 17-32.
- Yu, S. J., Yang, S., & Youn, J. H. (2000). The relationship among depression, social support, and gender role barrier in middle aged women. The Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 9(4), 619-630.
- Yun, E. J. (2013). Path analysis of self efficacy, depressive cognition, health status, and health promotion behavior of middle aged adults. The Journal of Korean Society of Living Environmental System, 20(1), 10-18.