- Volume 35 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of Quality Grade and Storage Time on the Palatability, Physicochemical and Microbial Quality of Hanwoo Striploin Beef
Yim, Dong-Gyun;Kim, Yu-Jin;Chung, Ku-Young
- 투고 : 2015.03.01
- 심사 : 2015.04.17
- 발행 : 2015.08.31
The effects of quality grade and storage time on physicochemical, sensory properties and microbial population of Hanwoo striploin beef were investigated. After a total of 30 Hanwoo beef were slaughtered, the cold carcasses were graded by official meat grader at 24 h postmortem. The carcasses were categorized into five groups (quality grade 1++, 1+, 1, 2, and 3) and were vacuum-packaged and stored. The samples were kept for 1, 4, 6, 8, 11, 13, 15, 18, 20, 22 and 25 d for analyses. As the quality grade was increased, moisture, protein and ash contents decreased (p<0.05). Higher quality grade corresponded with higher fat contents. The shear force values decreased with increasing quality grade and showed decreases sharply during the first 4 d (p<0.05). pH, water holding capacity, cooking loss, and volatile basic nitrogen for grade 1++ groups were lower than for grade 3 (p<0.05). CIE L* and b* values increased as increased quality grade (p<0.05). Meat color decreased until 13 d and fluctuated after 15 d of storage (p<0.05). Regarding the sensory scores, higher quality grade corresponded with higher juiciness, tenderness, flavor, fatty and palatability scores (p<0.05). Generally, increased storage time for 15 d improved sensory scores attributes. Results indicate that a high quality grade could positively influence physicochemical and sensory properties.
quality grade;Hanwoo;physicochemical trait;sensory scores;microbial population
- Savell, J. W., Cross, H. R., and Smith, G. C. (1986) Percentage ether extractable fat and moisture content of beef longissimus muscle as related to USDA marbling score. J. Food Sci. 51, 838-845. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1986.tb13946.x
- Renand, G., Picard, B., Touraille, C., Berge, P., and Lepetit, J. (2001) Relationship between muscle characteristics and meat quality traits of young Charolais bulls. Meat Sci. 59, 49-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00051-1
- SAS (2002) SAS/STAT Software for PC. Release 6.11, SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA.
- Seideman, S. C. and Durland, P. R. (1983) Vacuum packaging of fresh beef: A review. J. Food Quality 6, 29-47. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4557.1983.tb00755.x
- Smith, A. M., Harris, K. B., Haneklaus, A. N., and Savell, J. W. (2011) Proximate composition and energy content of beef steaks as influenced by USDA quality grade and degree of doneness. Meat Sci. 89, 228-232. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2011.04.027
- Wheeler, T. L., Cundiff, L. V., Koch, R. M., and Crouse, J. D. (1996) Characterization of biological types of cattle (cycle IV): carcass traits and longissimus palatability. J. Anim. Sci. 74, 1023-1035. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.7451023x
- Witte, V. C. (1970) A new extraction method for determining 2-thiobarbituric acid values of pork. Food Technol. 8, 326.
- Wulf, D. M. and Page, J. K. (2000) Using measurements of muscle color, pH, and electrical impedance to augment the current USDA beef quality grading standards and improve the accuracy and precision if sorting carcasses into palatability groups. J. Anim. Sci. 78, 2595-2607. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.78102595x
- Moon, S. S., Yang, H. S., Park, G. B., and Joo, S. T. (2006) The relationship of physiological maturity and marbling judged according to Korean grading system to meat quality traits of Hanwoo beef females. Meat Sci. 74, 516-521. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.04.027
- National Livestock Cooperatives Federation (NLCF) (1998) Korean carcass grading standard. Seoul: National Livestock Cooperatives Federation.
- Ockerman, H. W. (1976). Quality control of post-mortem muscle and tissue. Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA: Department of Animal Science.
- Ozawa, S., Mitsuhashi, T., Mitsumoto, M., Matsumoto, S., Itoh, N., and Itagaki, K. (2000) The characteristics of muscle fiber types of longissimus thoracis muscle and their influences on the quantity and quality of meat from Japanese Black steers. Meat Sci. 54, 65-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00072-8
- Park, B. Y., Cho, S. H., Yoo, Y. M., Kim, J. H., Lee, J. M., Joung, S. K., and Kim, Y. K. (2000) Effect of intramuscular fat contents on the physicochemical properties of beef longissimus dorsi from Hanwoo. Korean J. Animal Sci. Technol. 42, 189-194.
- Park, G. B., Moon, S. S., Ko, Y. D., Ha, J. K., Chang, H. H., and Joo, S. T. (2002) Influence of slaughter weight and sex on yield and quality grades of Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) carcasses. J. Anim. Sci. 80, 129-136. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.801129x
- Priolo, A., Micol, D., and Agabriel, J. (2001) Effects of grass feeding systems on ruminant meat colour and flavour: A review. Anim. Res. 50, 185-200. https://doi.org/10.1051/animres:2001125
- Lee, Y. J., Kim, C. J., Park, B. Y., Seong, P. N., Kim, J. H., Kang, G. H., Kim, D. H., and Cho, S. H. (2010) Chemical composition, cholesterol, trans-fatty acids contents, pH, meat color, water holding capacity and cooking loss of Hanwoo beef (Korean native cattle) quality grade. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 30, 997-1006. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.6.997
- QIA (2014) Standards for Processing and Ingredients Specifications of Livestock Products, Animal, Plant and Fisheries Quarantine and Inspection Agency Notification (No. 2012-118) Animal, Plant and Fisheries Quarantine and Inspection Agency, Republic of Korea.
- Koutsoumanis, Stamatiou, A., Skandamis, P., and Nychas, G. J. E. (2006) Development of a microbial model for the combined effect of temperature and pH on spoilage of ground meat, and validation of the model under dynamic temperature conditions. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 72, 124-134. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.72.1.124-134.2006
- Lee, J. G. and Joo, S. T. (1999) Effects of slaughter weight on backfat thickness, intramuscular fat and physical properties of pork loin from barrow. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 41, 207-214.
- Lorenzo, J. M. and Gomez, M. (2012) Shelf life of fresh foal meat under MAP, overwrap and vacuum packaging conditions. Meat Sci. 92, 610-618. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2012.06.008
- Luchak, G. L., Miller, R. K., Belk, K. E., Hale, D. S., Michaelsen, S. A., Johnson, D. D., West, R. L., Leak, F. W., Cross, H. R., and Savell, J. W. (1998) Determination of sensory, chemical and cooking characteristics of retail beef cuts differing in intramuscular and external fat. Meat Sci. 50, 55-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00016-3
- MFDS (2011) Korean Food Standards Codex (No. 2011-76) No. 10. General method, 10-3-35.
- Jo, C., Cho, S. H., Chang, J., and Nam, K. C. (2012) Keys to production and processing of Hanwoo beef: A perspective of tradition and science. Ani. Frontiers 2, 32-38.
- Miller, M. F., Kerth, C. R., Wise, J. W., Lansdell, J. L., Stowell, J. E., and Ramsey, C. B. J. (1997) Slaughter plant location, USDA quality grade, external fat thickness, and aging time effects on sensory characteristics of beef loin strip steak. J. Anim. Sci. 75, 662-667. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.753662x
- Monson, F., Sanudo, C., and Sierra, I. (2005) Influence of breed and ageing time on the sensory meat quality and consumer acceptability in intensively reared beef. Meat Sci. 71, 471-479. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.04.026
- Jeremiah, L. E. and Gibson, L. L. (2001) The influence of storage temperature and storage time on color stability, retail properties and case-life of retail-ready beef. Food Res. Int. 34, 815-826. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-9969(01)00104-1
- Johnson, B. Y. (1974) Chilled vacuum packed beef. A guide to processing this high quality product for the export market. CSJRO Food Research Quarterly 34, 14-20.
- Jost, L. K., Dinkel, C. A., and Costello, W. J. (1983). Beef tenderness and palatability as influenced by chemical measures and quality and yield grade factors. J. Anim. Sci. 56, 1077-1087. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1983.5651077x
- Kim, C. J. and Lee, E. S. (2003) Effects of quality grade on the chemical, physical and sensory characteristics of Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) beef. Meat Sci. 63, 397-405. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00099-2
- Kim, D. H., Kim, Y. K., Chung, Y. H., Yoo, Y. M., and Park, B. Y. (1993) A study on the consumer's attitude to beef: 1. Consumer's purchasing pattern and preference. RDA J. Agr. Sci. 35, 598-601.
- Conway, E. J. (1950) Microdiffusion Analysis and Volumetric Error, 3rd ed. Crosby Lockwood and Son Ltd, London.
- Kim, J. H., Cho, S. H., Seong, P. N, Hah, K. H., Kim, H. K., Park, B. Y., Lee, J. M., Kim, D. H., and Ahn, C. N. (2007) Effect of ageing temperature and time on the meat quality of longissimus muscle from Hanwoo steer. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 27, 171-178. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2007.27.2.171
- Kim, N. K., Cho, S., Lee, S. H., Park, H. R., Lee, C. S., Cho, Y. M., Choy, Y. H., Yoon, D., Im, S. K., and Park, E. W. (2008) Proteins in longissimus muscle of Korean native cattle and their relationship to meat quality. Meat Sci. 80, 1068-1073. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.04.027
- Korea Institute for Animal Products Quality Evaluation (2013) Report of business for animal products grading. Korea.
- Dainty, R. H. and Mackey, B. M. (1992) The relationship between the phenotypic properties of bacteria from chill-stored meat and spoilage processes. J. Appl. Bacteriol. 73, 103-114. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.1992.tb03630.x
- Egan, H., Kirk, R. S., and Sawyer, R. (1981) Pearson’s chemical analysis of foods (8th Ed.). UK: Essex: Longman scientific and Technical. pp. 185-185.
- Fiems, L. O., De Campeneere, S., De Smet, D., Van de Voorde, G., Vanacker, J. M., and Boucque, C. V. (2000) Relationship between fat depots in carcasses of beef bulls and effect on meat colour and tenderness. Meat Sci. 56, 41-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(00)00017-6
- Gill, C. O. (1992) Application of preservative packagings to chilled raw meats. Canadian Meat Science Association Symposium, 7, 1-8.
- Gøtterup, J., Olsen, K., Knøchel, S., Tjener, K., Stahke, L. H., and Møller, J. K. S. (2008) Colour formation in fermented sausages by meat-associated staphylococci with different nitrite- and nitrate-reductase activities. Meat Sci. 78, 492-501. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.07.023
- Aaslying, M. D., Bejerholm, C., Ertbjerg, P., Bertram, H. C., and Andersen, H. J. (2003) Cooking loss and juiciness of pork in relation to raw meat quality and cooking procedure. Food Qual. Pref. 14, 277-288. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-3293(02)00086-1
- Grau, R. and Hamm, R. (1953) Eine einfache methode zur bestimmung der wasserbindung in muskel. Naturwissenschaften 40, 29. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00595734
- Hilton, G. G., Tatum, J. D., Williams, S. E., Belk, K. E., Williams, F. L., and Wise, J. W. (1998) An evaluation of current and alternative systems for quality grading carcasses of mature slaughter cows. J. Anim. Sci. 76, 2094-2103. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.7682094x
- Hwang, Y. H., Kim, G. D., Jeong, J. Y., Hur, S. J., and Joo, S. T. (2010). The relationship between muscle fiber characteristics and meat quality traits of highly marbled Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) steers. Meat Sci. 86, 456-461. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.05.034
- Aksu, M. I., Kaya, M., and Ockerman, H. W. (2005) Effect of modified atmosphere packaging and temperature on the shelf life of sliced pastirma produced from frozen/thawed meat. J. Muscle Foods 16, 192-206. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.2005.08404.x
- AOAC (2000) Official methods of analysis (17th ed.). Gaithersburg, MD: Association of Official Analytical Chemists.
- Cho, S. H., Kim, J., Park, B. Y., Seong, P. N., Kang, G. H., Kim, J. H., Jung, S. G., Im, S. K., and Kim, D. H. (2010) Assessment of meat quality properties and development of a palatability prediction model for Korean Hanwoo steer beef. Meat Sci. 86, 236-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.05.011
- Barbut, S. (2010) Color development during natural fermentation and chemical acidification of salami-type products. J. Muscle Foods 21, 499-508. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.2009.00198.x
- Bourne, M. C. (1978) Texture profile analysis. Food Technol. 32, 72.
- Campo, M. M., Sanudo, C., Panea, B., Alberti, P., and Santolaria, P. (1999) Breed type and ageing time effects on sensory characteristics of beef strip loin steaks. Meat Sci. 51, 383-390. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00159-4