- Volume 55 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Theoretical study of UHPCC composite column behaviors under axial compression
- Wu, Xiang-Guo (Key Lab of Structures Dynamic Behavior and Control, Harbin Institute of Technology, Ministry of Education) ;
- Zou, Ruofei (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois) ;
- Zhao, Xinyu (School of Architecture Engineering, Harbin Engineering University) ;
- Yu, Qun (School of Architecture Engineering, Harbin Engineering University)
- Received : 2013.05.07
- Accepted : 2015.06.10
- Published : 2015.09.10
To improve the durability and service life of reinforced concrete column such as bridge piers, an advanced composite column made of Ultra High Performance Cementitious Composites (UHPCC) permanent form is proposed. Based on elasticity plasticity theory, axial compression behavior of the composite column was studied theoretically. The first circumferential cracking load and ultimate limit loading capacity are derived for the composite column. Short composite column compression tests and numerical simulations using FEM method were carried out to justify the theoretical formula. The effects of UHPCC tube thickness on the axial compression behavior were studied. Using the established theoretical model and numerical simulation, the large dimension composite columns are calculated and analyzed with different UHPCC tube thickness. These studies may provide a reference for advanced composite column design and application.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- ACI Committee 363 (1992), Report on High-strength concrete (ACI 363R-92), American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, Mich., 55.
- Balendran, R.V., Zhou, F.P., Nadeem, A. and Leung, A.Y.T. (2002), "Influence of steel fibres on strength and ductility of normal and lightweight high strength concrete", Build. Environ., 37, 1361-1367. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-1323(01)00109-3
- Behloul, M. (2007), "HPFRCC field of applications: Ductal recent experience", 5th High Performance Fiber Reinforced Cement Composite (HPFRCC5), Mainz, Germany, July.
- Benjamin, A.G. (2005), "Characterization of the behavior of ultra-high performance concrete", Doctor Thesis, University of Maryland.
- Benjamin, A.G. (2007), "Compressive behavior of ultra-high-performance fiber-reinforced concrete", ACI Mater. J., 104(2), 146-152.
- Cavill, B. and Chirgwin, G.. (2003), "The world's first Ductal road bridge Sherpherds gully creek bridge, NSW", 21st Biennial Conference of the Concrete Institute of Australia, Brisbane.
- Gopalaratnam, V.S. and Gettu, R. (1995), "On the characterization of flexural toughness in fiber reinforced concrete", Cement Concrete Compos., 17, 239-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/0958-9465(95)99506-O
- Graybeal, B.A. (2006), Structural Behavior of Ultra-High Performance Concrete Prestressed I-Girders [R], FHWA-HRT-06-115, Federal Highway Administration, New Jersey Ave., Washington.
- Graybeal, B., Hartamann, J. and Perry, V. (2004), "Ultra-high performance concrete for highway bridge", FIB Symposium, Avignon, April.
- Kittinun, S., Sherif, E.T. and Gustavo, P.M. (2010), "Behavior of high performance fiber reinforced cement composite under multi-axial compressive loading", Cement Concrete Compos., 32, 62-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2009.09.003
- Ma, J., Dehn, F., Tue, N.V., Orgass, M. and Schmidt, D. (2004), "Comprarative investigations on ultra-high performance concrete with and without coarse aggregates", Proceedings of the International Symposium on Ultra-High Performance Concrete, Kassel, Germany, September.
- Maalej, M. and Li, V.C. (1995), "Introduction of strain harding engineered cementitious composites in design of reinforced concrete flexural members for improved durability", ACI Struct J., 92(2), 167-176.
- MREMC of PPC (Engineering Management Center of The Ministry of Railways of P.P.C.) (2009), Constructurn Manual For Reactive Powder Concrete Member, China Railway Publishing House, Beijing. (In Chinese)
- Naaman, A.E. and Reinhardt, H.W. (1995), "Characterization of high performance fiber reinforced cement composites-HPFRCC", Proceedings of the Second International Workshop 'High Performance Fiber Reinforced Cement Composites' (HPFRCC2), Ann Arbor, USA.
- Okuma, H.A., Nishikawa, K., Iwasaki, I. and Morita, T. (2006), "The first highway bridge applying ultra high strength fiber reinforced concrete in Japan", 7th International Conference on short and medium span bridge, Montreal, Canada.
- Ramadoss, P. and Nagamani, K. (2008), "A new strength model for the high-performance fiber reinforced concrete", Comput. Concrete, 5(1), 21-36. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2008.5.1.021
- Williams, E.M., Graham, S.S., Akers, S.A., Reed, P.A. and Rushing, T.S. (2010), "Constitutive property behavior of an ultra-high-performance concrete with and without steel fibers", Comput. Concrete, 7(2), 191-202. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2010.7.2.191
- Wu, X., Han, S. and Xu, S. (2008), "Pseudo strain hardening model of ultra high performance cementitious composites under flexural loading", Acta Materiae Compositae Sinica, 25(2), 129-134.
- Wu, X. and Han, S. (2010), "Interface shear connection analysis of ultra high performance fiber reinforced concrete composite girders", J. Bridge Eng., ASCE, 15(5), 493-502. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000091
- Wu, X.G., Jiang, X.D. and Zhao, X.Y. etc. (2011), Multiple functional permanent form for bridge gravity pier, China Patent, Publication Number: CN 201952733 U, Open day: Aug. 31, 2011.
- Wu, X.G., Xu, S.L. and Wu, M.X. (2009), "Fracture parameters study and application of ultra high performance fiber reinforcement concrete", Eng. Mech., 26(3), 93-98.
- Wu, X.G., Zhao, X.Y. and Han, S.M. (2011), "Structural analysis of circular UHPCC form for hybrid pier under construction loads", Steel Compos. Struct., 12(2), 167-180. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2012.12.2.167