- Volume 16 Issue 13
Background: To assess women's awareness from diverse sections of society in Delhi regarding various aspects of breast cancer (BC) - perceptions, signs and symptoms, risk factors, prevention, screening and treatment. Materials and Methods: Community-level survey was undertaken in association with the Indian Cancer Society (ICS), Delhi during May 2013-March 2014. Women attending BC awareness workshops by ICS were given self-administered questionnaires before the workshop in the local language to assess BC literacy. Information provided by 2017 women was converted into awareness scores (aware=1) for analysis using SPSS. Awareness scores were dichotomized with median score=19 as cut off, create more aware and less aware categories. Bivariate and multivariate analysis provided P-values, odds ratios (ORs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs). Results: Broadly, 53.4% women were aware about various aspects of BC. Notably, 49.1% women believed that BC was incurable and 73.9% women believed pain to be an initial BC symptom. Only 34.9% women performed breast self-examination (BSE) and 6.9% women had undergone clinical breast-examination/mammography. 40.5% women had higher awareness (awareness score > median score of 19), which was associated with education [graduates (OR=2.31; 95%CI=1.78, 3.16), post-graduates (OR=7.06; 95%CI=4.14, 12.05) compared to
Breast cancer;awareness;cancer prevention;breast self-examination;Delhi;India
- McDonald S, Saslow D, Alciati MH (2004). Performance and reporting of clinical breast examination: a review of the literature. CA Cancer J Clin, 54, 345-61. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.54.6.345
- Norsa'adah B, Rahmah MA, Rampal KG, et al (2012). Understanding barriers to Malaysian women with breast cancer seeking help. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3723-30. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3723
- Okobia MN, Bunker CH, Okonofua FE, et al (2006). Knowledge, attitude and practice of Nigerian women towards breast cancer: a cross-sectional study. World J Surg Oncol, 4, 11. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7819-4-11
- Parameshwari P, Muthukumar K, Jennifer HG (2013). A population based case control study on breast cancer and the associated risk factors in a rural setting in kerala, southern India. J Clin Diagn Res, 7, 1913-6.
- Parkin DM, Fernandez LM (2006). Use of statistics to assess the global burden of breast cancer. Breast J, 12, 70-80. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1075-122X.2006.00205.x
- Parsa P, Kandiah M (2010). Predictors of adherence to clinical breast examination and mammography screening among Malaysian women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 681-8.
- Powe BD, Underwood S, Canales M, et al (2005). Perceptions about breast cancer among college students: implications for nursing education. J Nurs Educ, 44, 257-65.
- Radi SM (2013). Breast Cancer awareness among Saudi females in Jeddah. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4307-12. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4307
- Ramirez AJ, Westcombe AM, Burgess CC, et al (1999). Factors predicting delayed presentation of symptomatic breast cancer: a systematic review. Lancet, 353, 1127-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(99)02142-X
- Rasu RS, Rianon NJ, Shahidullah SM, et al (2011). Effect of educational level on knowledge and use of breast cancer screening practices in Bangladeshi women. Health Care Women Int, 32, 177-89. https://doi.org/10.1080/07399332.2010.529213
- Ravichandran K, Mohamed G, Al-Hamdan NA (2010). Public knowledge on cancer and its determinants among Saudis in the Riyadh Region of Saudi Arabia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1175-80.
- Karadag G, Gungormus Z, Surucu R (2014). Awareness and practices regarding breast and cervical cancer among Turkish women in Gazientep. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1093-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1093
- Khokhar A (2009). Level of awareness regarding breast cancer and its screening amongst Indian teachers. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 247-50.
- Khokher S, Qureshi W, Mahmood S, et al (2011). Knowledge, attitude and preventive practices of women for breast cancer in the educational institutions of Lahore, Pakistan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2419-24.
- Kratzke C, Amatya A, Vilchis H (2014). Breast Cancer prevention knowledge, beliefs, and information sources between Non-Hispanic and Hispanic college women for risk reduction focus. J Community Health, 40, 124-30.
- Kumar YS, Mishra G, Gupta S, et al (2011). Level of cancer awareness among women of low socioeconomic status in Mumbai slums. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1295-8.
- Lodge M, Corbex M (2011). Establishing an evidence-base for breast cancer control in developing countries. Breast, 20, 65-9.
- Loh SY, Chew SL (2011). Awareness and practice of breast selfexamination among malaysian women with breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 199-202.
- Montazeri A, Vahdaninia M, Harirchi I, Harirchi AM, Sajadian A, Khaleghi F, Ebrahimi M, Haghighat S, Jarvandi S (2010). Breast cancer in Iran: need for greater women awareness of warning signs and effective screening methods. Asia Pac Fam Med, 7, 6-9.
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Kanaga KC, Nithiya J, Shatirah MF (2011). Awareness of breast cancer and screening procedures among Malaysian women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1965-7.
- Akhigbe AO, Omuemu VO. Knowledge attitudes and practice of breast cancer screening among female health workers in a Nigerian urban city (2009). BMC Cancer, 9, 203-5. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-9-203
- Allemani C, Weir HK, Carreira H, Harewood R, Spika D, Wang XS et al (2014). Global surveillance of cancer survival 1995-2009: analysis of individual data for 25 676 887 patients from 279 population-based registries in 67 countries (CONCORD-2). Lancet, S0140-6736, 62038-9.
- Al-Naggar RA, Al-Naggar DH, Bobryshev YV, Chen, et al (2011). Practice and barriers toward breast self-examination among young Malaysian women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1173-8.
- Amin TT, Al-Wadaani HA, Al-Quaimi MM, et al (2012). Saudi women's interest in breast cancer gene testing: possible influence of awareness, perceived risk and sociodemographic factors. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3879-87. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3879
- Andsoy II, Gul A (2014). Breast, cervix and colorectal cancer knowledge among nurses in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2267-72. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2267
- Asif HM, Sultana S, Akhtar N, et al (2014). Prevalence, risk factors and disease knowledge of breast cancer in Pakistan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4411-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4411
- Asthana S, Chauhan S, Labani S (2014). Breast and cervical cancer risk in India: an update. Indian J Public Health, 58, 5-10. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-557X.128150
- Austoker J, Bankhead C, Forbes LJ, et al (2009). Interventions to promote cancer awareness and early presentation: systematic review. Br J Cancer, 101, 31-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605388
- Benson JR, Jatoi I (2012). The global breast cancer burden. Future Oncol, 8, 697-702. https://doi.org/10.2217/fon.12.61
- Elsie KM, Gonzaga MA, Francis B, et al (2010). Current knowledge, attitudes and practices of women on breast cancer and mammography at Mulago Hospital. Pan Afr Med J, 5, 9.
- Ferlay J, Ervik M, Dikshit R, et al (2013). GLOBOCAN 2012 v1.0, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC CancerBase No. 11 [Internet]: International Agency for Research on Cancer.
- Forbes LJ, Atkins L, Thurnham A, et al (2011). Breast cancer awareness and barriers to symptomatic presentation among women from different ethnic groups in East London. Br J Cancer, 105, 1474-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2011.406
- Grosse FK, Ramadas K, Anju GA, et al (2013). Determinants of participation in a breast cancer screening trial in Trivandrum district, India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7301-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7301
- Gupta SK (2009). Impact of a health education intervention program regarding breast self-examination by women in a semi-urban area of Madhya Pradesh, India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 1113-7.
- Harirchi I, Mousavi SM, Mohagheghi MA, et al (2009). Early detection for breast cancer in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 849-51.
- Hatefnia E, Niknami S, Bazargan M, Mahmoodi M, Lamyianm M, Alavi N (2010). Correlates of mammography utilization among working Muslim Iranian women. Health Care Women Int, 31, 499-514. https://doi.org/10.1080/07399331003725507
- Rosmawati NH (2010). The usage and knowledge of mammography among women in sub-urban area in Terengganu, Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 767-71.
- Sambanje MN, Mafuvadze B (2012). Breast cancer knowledge and awareness among university students in Angola. Pan Afr Med J, 11, 70.
- Sankaranarayanan R, Swaminathan R, Brenner H, et al (2010). Cancer survival in Africa, Asia, and Central America: a population-based study. Lancet Oncol, 11, 165-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(09)70335-3
- Sankaranarayanan R, Swaminathan R, Jayant K, et al (2011). An overview of cancer survival in Africa, Asia, the Caribbean and Central America: the case for investment in cancer health services. IARC Sci Publ, 162, 257-91.
- Sathian B, Nagaraja SB, Banerjee I, et al (2014). Awareness of breast cancer warning signs and screening methods among female residents of Pokhara valley, Nepal. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4723-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4723
- Serey VH, Kim ES, Monchy D (2011). Preliminary data about female malignant breast tumours in Cambodia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 383-5.
- Shalini, Varghese D, Nayak M (2011). Awareness and impact of education on breast self examination among college going girls. Indian J Palliat Care, 17, 150-4. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-1075.84538
- Shallwani K, Ramji R, Ali TS, et al (2010). Self examination for breast and testicular cancers: a community-based intervention study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 383-6.
- Shulman LN, Willett W, Sievers A, et al (2010). Breast cancer in developing countries: opportunities for improved survival. J Oncol, 2010, 595167.
- Somdatta P, Baridalyne N (2008). Awareness of breast cancer in women of an urban resettlement colony. Indian J Cancer, 45, 149-53. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.44662
- Sreedevi A, Quereshi MA, Kurian B, et al (2014). Screening for breast cancer in a low middle income country: predictors in a rural area of Kerala, India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1919-24. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.1919
- Sreenath AS, Kumar KR, Reddy GV, et al (2005). Evidence for the association of synaptotagmin with glutathione S-transferases: implications for a novel function in human breast cancer. Clin Biochem, 38, 436-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2005.01.009
- Sreedharan J, Muttappallymyalil J, Venkatramana M et al (2010). Breast self-examination: knowledge and practice among nurses in United Arab Emirates. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11(3), 651-4.
- Stapleton J, Stapleton J, Mullan PB, et al (2011). Patientmediated factors predicting early and late stage presentation of breast cancer in Egypt. Psycho-Oncology, 20, 532-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1767
- Ukwenya AY, Yusufu LM, Nmadu PT, et al (2008). Delayed treatment of symptomatic breast cancer: the experience from Kaduna, Nigeria. S Afr J Surg, 46, 106-10.
- Wu TY, Chung S, Yeh MC, et al (2012). Understanding breast cancer screening practices in Taiwan: a country with universal health care. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4289-94. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4289
- Yadav P, Jaroli DP (2010). Breast cancer: Awareness and risk factors in college-going younger age group women in Rajasthan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 319-22.
- Yoo BN, Choi KS, Jung KW, et al (2012). Awareness and practice of breast self-examination among Korean women: results from a nationwide survey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 123-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.123
- Breast Cancer Awareness and Prevention Behavior among Women of Delhi, India: Identifying Barriers to Early Detection vol.10, pp.1178-2234, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4137/BCBCR.S40358
- Knowledge about Risk Factors for Breast Cancer and Having a Close Relative with Cancer Affect the Frequency of Breast Self-Examination Performance vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.2075
- Breast cancer awareness, attitude and screening practices in Nigeria: A systematic review vol.7, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5897/CRO16.0101
- Epidemiology of breast cancer in Indian women vol.13, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/ajco.12661
- Mammographic Screening or Breast Cancer Awareness? Time to Ponder vol.79, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12262-017-1672-5
- Women’s knowledge about risk factors of breast cancer in a Brazilian community pp.1541-0331, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/03630242.2018.1516266
Supported by : UK universities