- Volume 16 Issue 14
DOI QR Code
Drug Use Evaluation of Letrozole in Breast Cancer Patients at Regional Cancer Hospitals in Thailand
- Ketkaew, Chaninun (Social and Administration, Pharmacy, Chulalongkorn University) ;
- Kiatying-Angsulee, Niyada (Social and Administration, Pharmacy, Chulalongkorn University)
- Published : 2015.09.02
Background: Medication policy development in Thailand is continually promoting rational drug use. Letrozole, an endocrine therapy drug, is usually prescribed for post-menopausal status early and advanced stage breast cancer. After Ministry of Public Health announced Letrozole as compulsory licensed drug in 2009, more breast cancer patients can access to this drug at low cost especially those within universal coverage schemes. To ensure that Letrozole is rationally prescribed, the drug utilization study was conducted. Objectives: The aim of this study was to describe the appropriate use of Letrozole in breast cancer and the relationship between appropriate use and health benefit schemes. Materials and Methods: A retrospective study to evaluate use of Letrozole in breast cancer patients was performed for six months between January - June 2010 in seven regional cancer hospitals, Thailand. All prescriptions of Letrozole were identified from pharmacy dispensing databases and prescription papers. A medical record review was also performed to evaluate appropriate use referring to the drug use evaluation criteria. The approved criterion of this study was referred from the guideline of Thai National Formulary version 2010. Results: There were 681 prescriptions of Letrozole for 254 breast cancer patients with an average age of
- Aphinive P, Vachirodom D, Thanapaisal C, Rangsrikajee D Somintara O (2014). Effects of switching from anastrozole to letrozole, due to reimbursement policy, on the outcome of breast cancer therapy. Breast Cancer, 6, 145-150.
- Barnadas A, Estevez LG, Lluch-Hernandez A, Rodriguez- Sanchez C, Sanchez-Rovira P (2011). An overview of letrozole in postmenopausal women with hormoneresponsive breast cancer. Adv Ther, 28, 1045-58. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12325-011-0075-4
- Bundred NJ (2006). Letrozole: a well-tolerated and effective treatment for breast cancer. Womens Health, 2, 673-85.
- Cohen MH, Johnson JR, Justice R, Pazdur R (2011). Approval summary: letrozole (Femara(R) tablets) for adjuvant and extended adjuvant postmenopausal breast cancer treatment: conversion of accelerated to full approval. Oncologist, 16 1762-70. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2011-0287
- Delpeuch A, Leveque D, Rob L, Bergerat JP (2011). Off-label use of oxaliplatin in patients with metastatic breast cancer. Anticancer Res, 31, 1765-7.
- Gelmon K (2007). Prescribing extended adjuvant letrozole. Breast, 16, 446-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.breast.2007.04.002
- Goss PE (2007). Letrozole in the extended adjuvant setting: MA.17. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 105, 45-53.
- Gulam Muhammad Khan RKT, Dewashish Singh Adhikari, Muna Rajbhandari, et al (2013). Evaluation of cancer prevalence and cytotoxic medication prescribing in central region of Nepal. Kathmandu University, J Sci Eng Technol, 9, 189-99.
- Health MSf (2007). Drug use evaluation. in the & R. P. M. P. Program (Eds.), Drug and therapeutics committee. Training Course (pp. 1-9). United States: Management Sciences for Health.
- Jindapol N., K. P. e. a. (2014). Crisis of health insurance under Thai civil servant medical benefit scheme (CSMBS). Srinagarin Med J, 9, 199-206.
- Joerger M, Schaer-Thuer C, Koeberle D, et al (2014). Off-label use of anticancer drugs in eastern Switzerland: a populationbased prospective cohort study. Eur J Clin Pharmacol, 70, 719-25. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00228-014-1662-5
- Kahan NR., Waitman DA, Blackman S, Vardy DA (2010). Drug use evaluation of tamoxifen focusing on off-label use in a managed care population in Israel. J Manag Care Pharm, 16, 355-9.
- Keating GM (2009). Letrozole: a review of its use in the treatment of postmenopausal women with hormone-responsive early breast cancer. Drugs, 69, 1681-705. https://doi.org/10.2165/10482340-000000000-00000
- Krzyzanowska MK (2013). Off-label use of cancer drugs: a benchmark is established. J Clin Oncol, 31, 1125-7. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2012.46.9460
- Lee R J, Armstrong AC, Wardley AM (2012). Letrozole: advancing hormone therapy in breast cancer. Womens Health (Lond Engl), 8, 611-8. https://doi.org/10.2217/whe.12.49
- Lerose R, Musto P, Aieta M, Papa C, Tartarone A (2012). Offlabel use of anti-cancer drugs between clinical practice and research: the Italian experience. Eur J Clin Pharmacol, 68, 505-12. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00228-011-1173-6
- Mann BS, Johnson JR, Kelly R, et al (2005). Letrozole in the extended adjuvant treatment of postmenopausal women with history of early-stage breast cancer who have completed 5 years of adjuvant tamoxifen. Clin Cancer Res, 11, 5671-7. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-05-0354
- Nabholtz JM, Mouret-Reynier MA, Durando X, Van Praagh I, Al-Sukhun S, Ferriere JP, Chollet P (2009). Comparative review of anastrozole, letrozole and exemestane in the management of early breast cancer. Expert Opin Pharmacother, 10, 1435-47. https://doi.org/10.1517/14656560902953738
- National List of Essential Medicine Development Subcomittee. (2010). Thai national formulary: special access medicines of national list of essential medicines, [Epub ahead of print].
- National List of Essential Medicines. (2009). National list of essential medicines Thailand 2009. Retrieved from http://drug.fda.moph.go.th:81/nlem.in.th/node/10351.
- Pasqualetti G, Ricci S, Boni G, et al (2012). Off-label use of sunitinib in patients with advanced, epithelial thyroid cancer: a retrospective analysis. Recent Pat Endocr Metab Immune Drug Discov, 6, 171-6. https://doi.org/10.2174/187221412800604572
- Regan MM, Neven P, Giobbie-Hurder A, et al (2011). Assessment of letrozole and tamoxifen alone and in sequence for postmenopausal women with steroid hormone receptorpositive breast cancer: the BIG 1-98 randomised clinical trial at 8.1 years median follow-up. Lancet Oncol, 12, 1101-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(11)70270-4
- Scott LJ, Keam SJ (2006). Letrozole : in postmenopausal hormone-responsive early-stage breast cancer. Drugs, 66, 353-62. https://doi.org/10.2165/00003495-200666030-00010
- Shaw HS, Ellis MJ (2002). Letrozole in the treatment of breast cancer. Expert Opin Pharmacother, 3, 607-17. https://doi.org/10.1517/146565184.108.40.2067
- Siddiqua A, Tabassum N, Firdous S, Tabassum K (2014). Drug utilization evaluation of anti cancer drugs. Am J Pharmtech Res, 4, 690-702.
- Tartarone A, Lerose R, Aieta M (2012). Reflections about offlabel use of anticancer drugs. Ther Drug Monit, 34, 604.
- Wang W, Zhu M, Guo D, et al (2013). Off-label and off-NCCN guidelines uses of antineoplastic drugs in China. Iran J Public Health, 42, 472-9.
- World Health Organization (2002). Promoting rational use of medicine: core component. Retrieved from http://apps.who.int/medicinedocs/pdf/h3011e/h3011e.pdf.
- Yadav BS, Sharma SC, Patel FD, Ghoshal S, Kapoor V (2007). Results of letrozole in postmenopausal women after tamoxifen treatment for advanced breast cancer. J Cancer Res Ther, 3, 71-4. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-1482.34682