- Volume 16 Issue 14
DOI QR Code
Metastatic Pancreatic Carcinoma and Experience with FOLFIRINOX - a Cross Sectional Analysis From a Developing Country
- Zahir, Muhammad Nauman (Department of Oncology, Aga Khan University Hospital) ;
- Jabbar, Adnan Abdul (Department of Oncology, Aga Khan University Hospital)
- Published : 2015.09.02
Background: Pancreatic cancer is the fourth leading cause of cancer related death with median survival ranging from 3 to 6 months for metastatic disease. Palliative chemotherapy has been the backbone of treatment in advanced stage and has evolved over time. Data pertaining to the disease are scarce from our part of the world where treatment poses a significant challenge due to lack of resources. Materials and Methods: A retrospective chart review was performed for all patients presenting with stage IV pancreatic carcinoma at a tertiary care hospital in Karachi, Pakistan between January 2008 and December 2012. Data were collected using a pre-designed, coded questionnaire looking at patient characteristics, treatment given and outcome. Results: 101 patients were found to be eligible. Mean age was
- Ballehaninna UK, Chamberlain RS (2012). The clinical utility of serum CA 19-9 in the diagnosis, prognosis and management of pancreatic adenocarcinoma: An evidence based appraisal. J Gastrointest Oncol, 3, 105-19.
- Bayoglui IV, Varoli U, Yildizi I, et al (2014). Second-line capecitabine and oxaliplatin combination for gemcitabineresistant advanced pancreatic cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 7119-23. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7119
- Berger AC, Meszoely IM, Ross EA, Watson JC, Hoffman JP (2004). Undetectable preoperative levels of serum CA 19-9 correlate with improved survival for patients with resectable pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol, 11, 644-9. https://doi.org/10.1245/ASO.2004.11.025
- Burris HA 3rd, Moore M J, Andersen J, et al (1997). Improvements in survival and clinical benefit with gemcitabine as first-line therapy for patients with advanced pancreas cancer: a randomized trial. J Clin Oncol, 15, 2403-13.
- Conroy T, Desseigne F, Ychou M, et al (2011). FOLFIRINOX versus gemcitabine for metastatic pancreatic cancer. N Engl J Med, 364, 1817-25. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1011923
- Conroy T, Mitry E (2011). Chemotherapy of metastatic pancreatic adenocarcinoma: challenges and encouraging results. Bull Cancer, 98, 1439-46.
- Conroy T, Gavoille C, Samalin E, Ychou M, Ducreux M (2013). The role of the FOLFIRINOX regimen for advanced pancreatic cancer. Curr Oncol Rep, 15, 182-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11912-012-0290-4
- Cunningham D, Chau I, Stocken DD, et al (2009). Phase III randomized comparison of gemcitabine versus gemcitabine plus capecitabine in patients with advanced pancreatic cancer. J Clin Oncol, 27, 5513-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.24.2446
- Di Marco M, Di Cicilia R, Macchini M, et al (2010). Metastatic pancreatic cancer: Is gemcitabine still the best standard treatment? (Review). Oncology reports, 23, 1183-92.
- Gunturu KS, Yao X, Cong X, et al (2013). FOLFIRINOX for locally advanced and metastatic pancreatic cancer: single institution retrospective review of efficacy and toxicity. Med Oncol, 30, 361. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-012-0361-2
- Jemal A, Murray T, Ward E, et al (2005). Cancer statistics, 2005. CA Cancer J Clin, 55, 10-30. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.1.10
- Ko, A. H. (2011) FOLFIRINOX: a small step or a great leap forward? J Clin Oncol, 29, 3727-9. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.37.3464
- Mahaseth H, Brutcher E, Kauh J, et al (2013). Modified FOLFIRINOX regimen with improved safety and maintained efficacy in pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Pancreas, 42, 1311-5. https://doi.org/10.1097/MPA.0b013e31829e2006
- Parvez T, Dawood T (2003). Pancreatic cancer: new strategies available, but long battle ahead. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak, 13, 303-4.
- Peddi PF, Lubner S, McWilliams R, et al (2012). Multiinstitutional experience with FOLFIRINOX in pancreatic adenocarcinoma. JOP, 13, 497-501.
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A (2013). Cancer statistics, 2013. CA Cancer J Clin, 63, 11-30. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21166
- Valsecchi ME, Diaz-Canton E, de la Vega M, Littman SJ (2014). Recent Treatment Advances and Novel Therapies in Pancreas Cancer: A Review. J Gastrointest Cancer.
- Von Hoff DD, Ervin T, Arena FP et al (2013). Increased survival in pancreatic cancer with nab-paclitaxel plus gemcitabine. N Engl J Med, 369, 1691-703. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1304369
- Waraya M, Yamashita K, Katagiri H, et al (2009). Preoperative serum CA19-9 and dissected peripancreatic tissue margin as determiners of long-term survival in pancreatic cancer. Ann Surg Oncol, 16, 1231-40. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-009-0415-7
- FOLFIRINOX for advanced pancreatic cancer: the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre experience vol.115, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2016.222
- FOLFIRINOX Chemotherapy in Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Retrospective and Phase II Studies vol.7, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm7010007